using minicom when not root

Post by Tim Willia » Fri, 03 Jul 1998 04:00:00

Hi all,

I'm a newbie learning  RedHat 5.0 and I can't seem to dial in to my
computer at work when I'm not root on my Linux machine at home. (No
PPP, just straight term emulation for now.)

If I'm root, I can dial in with no problem, but if I use the same
settings as a "normal" user, when I connect I get

"Killed by signal 11 ! "

Why?

TIA

_______________
tjwilli at dc dot net
To reply, change

" dot " -> "."

using minicom when not root

Post by Tim Willia » Sat, 04 Jul 1998 04:00:00

> >I'm a newbie learning  RedHat 5.0 and I can't seem to dial in to my
> >computer at work when I'm not root on my Linux machine at home. (No

> Either your normal user isn't known to Minicom or Minicom isn't allowed to
> use the modem port when you are not root.

> 1) Edit /etc/minicom.users (as root) to add your username there.

> 2) Make sure Minicom can use the modem port. The installation script
> changes Minicom group to uucp, and the serial ports probably also belong to
> the uucp group. So, make sure your modem port has read/write access for
> uucp group and Minicom has setgid bit on
> (chmod g+rw /dev/cua? and chmod g+s /usr/bin/minicom)
> --

Thanks for the reply.

I had added my username to /etc/minicom.users, but I hadn't  checked
the permissions.  I went back to check on this, but logged on as a
user (williams), not root this time.  I thought I'd try again just to
see what happened, and it worked.

It turned out that previously, I did a 'su - williams' to log on as me
from root. This caused the 'signal 11' error. I could use minicom to
dial the modem, but when I got connected, I got the error.  When I log
on as 'williams' from the beginning, everything is fine.

tjwilli at dc dot net
To reply, change