Newbie trying to connect to internet through college LAN.

Newbie trying to connect to internet through college LAN.

Post by Andrew Gra » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I recently installed Red Hat 6.1 Linux, so I don't really know what I
am doing.  For the past semester I have been using Win98 to connect to
the internet (including now).  To access the internet nothing has to
be set in windows (except to install the TCP/IP and IPX/SPX
protocols).

I have looked through the Networking HOWTO
http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/NET3-4-HOWTO.html

I do not know the values of these:

Host IP Address
IP network address
IP broadcast address
IP netmask
Router address
Domain Name Server Address

How do I set up the internet networking in Linux?  I am virtually
clueless.  The extent of my knowledge is that the ethernet adapter is
/dev/eth0

Thank you ahead of time.

Post by N. McNeil » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> I recently installed Red Hat 6.1 Linux, so I don't really know what I
> am doing.  For the past semester I have been using Win98 to connect to
> the internet (including now).  To access the internet nothing has to
> be set in windows (except to install the TCP/IP and IPX/SPX
> protocols).

> I have looked through the Networking HOWTO
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

> I do not know the values of these:

> Host IP Address
> IP network address
> IP broadcast address
> IP netmask
> Router address
> Domain Name Server Address

> How do I set up the internet networking in Linux?  I am virtually
> clueless.  The extent of my knowledge is that the ethernet adapter is
> /dev/eth0

> Thank you ahead of time.

I wish I had a nickle for everytime.
http://linuxe*.com/network.shtml

--
N. McNeill

http://linuxe*.com

Newbie trying to connect to internet through college LAN.

Post by Phil » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Also, you don't need IPX/SPX to connect to the Internet - so it's best not
to install IPX/SPX unless you specifically need it for something.

Sky Mouse

> I recently installed Red Hat 6.1 Linux, so I don't really know what I
> am doing.  For the past semester I have been using Win98 to connect to
> the internet (including now).  To access the internet nothing has to
> be set in windows (except to install the TCP/IP and IPX/SPX
> protocols).

> I have looked through the Networking HOWTO
> http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/NET3-4-HOWTO.html

> I do not know the values of these:

> Host IP Address
> IP network address
> IP broadcast address
> IP netmask
> Router address
> Domain Name Server Address

> How do I set up the internet networking in Linux?  I am virtually
> clueless.  The extent of my knowledge is that the ethernet adapter is
> /dev/eth0

> Thank you ahead of time.

Newbie trying to connect to internet through college LAN.

Post by Phil » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Also, you don't need IPX/SPX to connect to the Internet - so it's best not
to install IPX/SPX unless you specifically need it for something.

Sky Mouse

> I recently installed Red Hat 6.1 Linux, so I don't really know what I
> am doing.  For the past semester I have been using Win98 to connect to
> the internet (including now).  To access the internet nothing has to
> be set in windows (except to install the TCP/IP and IPX/SPX
> protocols).

> I have looked through the Networking HOWTO
> http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/NET3-4-HOWTO.html

> I do not know the values of these:

> Host IP Address
> IP network address
> IP broadcast address
> IP netmask
> Router address
> Domain Name Server Address

> How do I set up the internet networking in Linux?  I am virtually
> clueless.  The extent of my knowledge is that the ethernet adapter is
> /dev/eth0

> Thank you ahead of time.

Newbie trying to connect to internet through college LAN.

Post by paul l » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Also, are you calling the school via a modem or are you in a dorm
that uses novell networks?  If you are in a dorm, then the info
needed is from your school's network administrator; just call
your "help" desk.

>Also, you don't need IPX/SPX to connect to the Internet - so it's best not
>to install IPX/SPX unless you specifically need it for something.

>Sky Mouse

>> I recently installed Red Hat 6.1 Linux, so I don't really know what I
>> am doing.  For the past semester I have been using Win98 to connect to
>> the internet (including now).  To access the internet nothing has to
>> be set in windows (except to install the TCP/IP and IPX/SPX
>> protocols).

>> I have looked through the Networking HOWTO
>> http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/NET3-4-HOWTO.html

>> I do not know the values of these:

>> Host IP Address
>> IP network address
>> IP broadcast address
>> IP netmask
>> Router address
>> Domain Name Server Address

>> How do I set up the internet networking in Linux?  I am virtually
>> clueless.  The extent of my knowledge is that the ethernet adapter is
>> /dev/eth0

>> Thank you ahead of time.

1. Newbie trying to connect to internet through college LAN.

I recently installed Red Hat 6.1 Linux, so I don't really know what I
am doing.  For the past semester I have been using Win98 to connect to
the internet (including now).  To access the internet nothing has to
be set in windows (except to install the TCP/IP and IPX/SPX
protocols).

I have looked through the Networking HOWTO
http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/NET3-4-HOWTO.html

I do not know the values of these:

Host IP Address
IP network address
IP broadcast address
IP netmask
Router address
Domain Name Server Address

How do I set up the internet networking in Linux?  I am virtually
clueless.  The extent of my knowledge is that the ethernet adapter is
/dev/eth0

Thank you ahead of time.

2. TCGETS ??

3. Desperate newbie (Trying to connect to the Internet with Eicon Diva ISDN pnp

4. pppd and desktop freezing

5. Broken Slackware7 distributon

6. Does Linux use BIOS?

7. Newbie question:pppd died when try to connect to internet

8. Internet-Junkie Linux-Newbie Trying to Configure Cable Internet Connection

9. getting Lan connected via ppp thru ethernet

10. internet thru lan

11. determine throughput from LAN to Internet, Durchsatz vom LAN ins Internet berechnen