Help, FSCK: Redhat 5.0: FSCK runs on first bootup EACH DAY? Can't find the configuration file

Help, FSCK: Redhat 5.0: FSCK runs on first bootup EACH DAY? Can't find the configuration file

Post by Tom » Wed, 18 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi,

The first time that I boot up each day, I get an error message
"filesystem was not cleanly unmounted, filsystem check forced". Now, I
alway use "shutdown now" in order to kill processes, etc, before
shutting the system off. Also, if I were to reboot again in the same
day, the filesystem check will not occur. Therefore I know that
somewhere there is a configuration file that I can use to set FSCK to
run when I want it to as opposed to this crazy default, which always
kills about a minute and a half during bootup.

Does anyone know how to configure FSCK?

Thanks
Tom

Post by Paul Kimo » Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:00:00

> The first time that I boot up each day, I get an error message
> "filesystem was not cleanly unmounted, filsystem check forced". Now, I
> alway use "shutdown now" in order to kill processes, etc, before
> shutting the system off. Also, if I were to reboot again in the same
> day, the filesystem check will not occur. Therefore I know that
> somewhere there is a configuration file that I can use [...]

The frequency of forced fscks is kept in the partition itself (and you
can use dumpe2fs(8) to investigate it), but when these occur, the message
is *not* "not cleanly unmounted", but rather something like "has gone too
long".

--

Help, FSCK: Redhat 5.0: FSCK runs on first bootup EACH DAY? Can't find the configuration file

Post by Stuart R. Full » Sun, 22 Nov 1998 04:00:00

: Hi,
:
: The first time that I boot up each day, I get an error message
: "filesystem was not cleanly unmounted, filsystem check forced". Now, I
: alway use "shutdown now" in order to kill processes, etc, before
: shutting the system off. Also, if I were to reboot again in the same
: day, the filesystem check will not occur. Therefore I know that
: somewhere there is a configuration file that I can use to set FSCK to
: run when I want it to as opposed to this crazy default, which always
: kills about a minute and a half during bootup.

Note that "shutdown now" brings you to single-user mode, with all file systems
still mounted.  If you turn off the system, then on reboot, fsck will run on
your file systems again.

If you're powering down, then use "shutdown -h now" to halt the system (and
umount the file systems, etc.).

        Stu

1. fsck fsck fsck say I

[[[Ouch.  Sorry.  Ouch.  The first edition of this text lost the first
word of its Subject.  Fixed now]]]

I remember I first learned of `fsck -f -y /` after `umount /` in the
thread:

Newsgroups: comp.unix.shell
Subject: fsck fsck fsck say I
http://groups.google.com/groups?threadm=2695edf1.0312021221.72f242a3%...

Speaking again now of fsck'ing on demand, eventually I also noticed,

My `man -k fsck` does not yet, but could/ should, point to:

--- http://www.google.com/search?q=linux+man+shutdown
--- http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/shutdown.8.html
-f
Skip fsck on reboot.
-F
Force fsck on reboot.
---

Pat LaVarre

2. Sockets Arrrgh!

3. What do BSP and AP mean in DMESG?

4. help pls - fsck fail on boot; fixed, fsck still fails on boot

5. ipfwadm secure?

6. Problem: On bootup always says to run fsck

7. newbe, ip ailasing syntax question

8. FS woun't Mount readonly , woun't fsck , can't find console font --

9. ext3 still fsck's on bootup

10. fsck'ing the / partition in 0.99pl9 during bootup

11. Internals question fsck'ing an SDS boot partition during bootup

12. HELP! fsck.ext2 can't find superblock