Newbie with a question

Post by rmoor.. » Tue, 05 Jun 2001 11:06:39

Hello.  I hope I am in the right group for my question and I certainly am
not trying to test anyone's patience.

I am a Windows "vet" ( since about 1993 ) but have done a lot of extensive
reading on Linux and it's * on the web, ect.  This is something I
really would like to learn because I intend to broaden my horizons with
programming, ect.

1.  As an individual who does not know the first thing about Linux, which
version would you recommend (preferably free ) to be installed on a 166mhz
pentium with 2 hard drives ( a 2.0 and a 6.0 )that I would like to
configure to be a "dual boot" system.  I am currently running Windows 98
second Edition.

2.  Does anyone know of any outstanding links on the net geared towards
Linux and the newbie ?

3.  I keep hearing horror stories of system crashes.  How much risk of
crashing a system during an install is there and can it permanately damage
the system ?

Thanks

--
-------------------- http://www.veryComputer.com/
                       Usenet for the Web

Newbie with a question

Post by Bit Twist » Tue, 05 Jun 2001 11:24:50

I would suggest Mandrake 8.0.
Chop out about a 2 gig partition.
Load cd and read docs with win98.
Select expert install, pick all icons to load.
Then click each package and see if you want to load it also.
Do not load ipchains firewall, it was replaced with iptables firewall.

That 166 sounds like the bios will not support booting beyond the
1024 cylinder. Pick booting from a floppy until you feel you
you know what you want to do with the disk layout.
Emailed you a picture of the disk layout if you want dual boot
from the mbr.

Quote:>Hello.  I hope I am in the right group for my question and I certainly am

--
The warranty and liability expired as you read this message.
Practice safe computing. Backup the file before you change it.

Newbie with a question

Post by Wes newel » Tue, 05 Jun 2001 12:10:10

> Hello.  I hope I am in the right group for my question and I certainly am
> not trying to test anyone's patience.

> I am a Windows "vet" ( since about 1993 ) but have done a lot of extensive
> reading on Linux and it's * on the web, ect.  This is something I
> really would like to learn because I intend to broaden my horizons with
> programming, ect.

> 1.  As an individual who does not know the first thing about Linux, which
> version would you recommend (preferably free ) to be installed on a 166mhz
> pentium with 2 hard drives ( a 2.0 and a 6.0 )that I would like to
> configure to be a "dual boot" system.  I am currently running Windows 98
> second Edition.

> 2.  Does anyone know of any outstanding links on the net geared towards
> Linux and the newbie ?

www.linux.org is were I started. And I just Installed Mandrake 8.0 without
many problems. Although I couldn't get it to see my old SB16csp card.
Installed a SB Live card and itworked fine. You can download it from several
places. Start at www.linux-mandrake.com. You'll need to burn 2 CD's.

Quote:

> 3.  I keep hearing horror stories of system crashes.  How much risk of
> crashing a system during an install is there and can it permanately damage
> the system ?

Not permanent, but I almost couldn't get it to reboot once when I stopped it
during install of something. Haven't tried to get to my OS/2 partitions yet
though.

Newbie with a question

Post by Stanislaw Flatt » Tue, 05 Jun 2001 14:27:11

> Hello.  I hope I am in the right group for my question and I certainly am
> not trying to test anyone's patience.

Welcome!

Quote:> I am a Windows "vet" ( since about 1993 ) but have done a lot of extensive
> reading on Linux and it's * on the web, ect.

So you are not pampered by Win95 but remember DOS 4, 5 ,6 and Win3.11
It may come VERY handy in Linux.

Quote:> This is something I really would like to learn because I intend to broaden
> my horizons with programming, ect.

Then, for your own sake, go for the most difficult (for MS-Glassware escapees)

distribution. It may take few hours longer to setup, and few more pages to
read, but this time spent on learning to tame the "beast" pays handsomely
later as it makes you confident that nothing is difficult.

Quote:> 1.  As an individual who does not know the first thing about Linux, which
> version would you recommend (preferably free ) to be installed on a 166mhz
> pentium with 2 hard drives ( a 2.0 and a 6.0 )that I would like to
> configure to be a "dual boot" system.  I am currently running Windows 98
> second Edition.

They all can dual, tripple....octuple and more boot. You are the boss.

Quote:> 2.  Does anyone know of any outstanding links on the net geared towards
> Linux and the newbie ?

A very good book on Unix/Linux administration is your street directory.
Reading from screen and trying to configure the system at the same time, you
must be kidding!

Quote:> 3.  I keep hearing horror stories of system crashes.  How much risk of
> crashing a system during an install is there and can it permanately damage
> the system ?

Permanent damage? What? a little sparks and smoke? Not for newbies but it
happens to gurus. Wait few month till this will be an issue.
Have booting diskette ready for EVERY OS that resides on your box and you are
almost 100% safe.

Quote:

> Thanks

Stanislaw.
Slack user from Ulladulla.

Newbie with a question

Post by Joal Heagne » Tue, 05 Jun 2001 17:34:01

Quote:> > 3.  I keep hearing horror stories of system crashes.  How much risk of
> > crashing a system during an install is there and can it permanately damage
> > the system ?

> Permanent damage? What? a little sparks and smoke? Not for newbies but it
> happens to gurus. Wait few month till this will be an issue.
> Have booting diskette ready for EVERY OS that resides on your box and you are
> almost 100% safe.

Do a full backup on your data as well, and I mean a FULL backup. I've
lost a lot of information recently by going "Well that's all on the
windows partition, the install won't touch that." *pause, then the sound
of someone screaming*

Joal Heagney/AncientHart

Newbie with a question

Post by Joal Heagne » Tue, 05 Jun 2001 17:31:14

> I would suggest Mandrake 8.0.

I'm not to sure about Mandrake 8.0. I and others have been having some
difficulty with the 2.4.5 kernels and not recognising PS/2 busmice and
COM-attached mice. If you got it to work with such a mouse, PLEASE tell
me. :)

Joal Heagney/AncientHart

Newbie with a question

Post by Kris Star » Tue, 05 Jun 2001 22:00:04

> > I would suggest Mandrake 8.0.

> I'm not to sure about Mandrake 8.0. I and others have been having some
> difficulty with the 2.4.5 kernels and not recognising PS/2 busmice and
> COM-attached mice. If you got it to work with such a mouse, PLEASE tell
> me. :)

Are you referring to PS/2 type internal mice, or some other bus mouse?
Interesting...  I've not seen this problem at all on the few machines I've
worked with...

FWIW - Mdk 8.0 ships with 2.4.3

Kris

Quote:

--
Kris Stark -- Remove NO-SPAM from address to reply...

Newbie with a question

Post by Stanislaw Flatt » Thu, 07 Jun 2001 19:24:51

>  "Well that's all on the
> windows partition, the install won't touch that." *pause, then the sound
> of someone screaming*

> Joal Heagney/AncientHart

"Been there, done it, love it!"

Stanislaw.
Slack user from Ulladulla.

1. (newbie) makefile question (newbie)

^^^^^^^^^^ this should be a single <TAB> character.
You probably have a 8 or 9 <SPACE> characters in there ...

Also note that libraries should follow objects on command
line, not preceed them; so a better link line would be:

<TAB>cc prodcons.o -lpthread

Also, the result of your link will be 'a.out', not 'prodcons'
(as your makefile implies), so correct link line is:

Please post to appropriate newsgroup.

Cheers,

2. Ways to flatten a bent CD-ROM??

3. Newbie (I mean REAL NEWBIE) question

4. screensaver along with xdm

5. linux newbie--newbie question follows

6. ZEOS on board SCSI and Linux

7. Newbie question - mailing list, or web site dealing with newbies security in linux?

8. FTP on Solaris 2.6

9. NEWBIE.. Extremely Newbie questions.

10. Newbie Questions (ICEWM Background, ppp question, mem > 64mb)

11. sar Question (probably a newbie question)

12. Newbie basic questions... many questions

13. Netscape configuration question; newbie question.