DIP / SLATTACH die in background w/ SLACKWARE 2.2.0

DIP / SLATTACH die in background w/ SLACKWARE 2.2.0

Post by Daniel Anthony Sim » Fri, 21 Apr 1995 04:00:00

I have just installed slackware 2.2.0.

I have noticed that if dip is run in the background it makes a
connection, but dies immediately. I have also noticed that
another thing I used to do with older versions of slackware
that no longer works is attaching another computer as a slip
connection. I did this using slattach as a background process
that was run from rc.inet1. Now it seems to start slattach, but
it immediately dies so that when I try to ifconfig and route
sl0, it complains. If I comment out those lines in rc.inet1
and do it by hand, it works fine.

I have seen that other people have had similar problems with
dip. I imagein that dip uses slattach or performs a similar
operation that fails when called from a background process.

If anyone has any ideas on a fix, please let me know. Thanks!

-Dan Simon

DIP / SLATTACH die in background w/ SLACKWARE 2.2.0

Post by Daniel Anthony Sim » Fri, 21 Apr 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I have just installed slackware 2.2.0.
>I have noticed that if dip is run in the background it makes a
>connection, but dies immediately. I have also noticed that
>another thing I used to do with older versions of slackware
>that no longer works is attaching another computer as a slip
>connection. I did this using slattach as a background process
>that was run from rc.inet1. Now it seems to start slattach, but
>it immediately dies so that when I try to ifconfig and route
>sl0, it complains. If I comment out those lines in rc.inet1
>and do it by hand, it works fine.
>I have seen that other people have had similar problems with
>dip. I imagein that dip uses slattach or performs a similar
>operation that fails when called from a background process.
>If anyone has any ideas on a fix, please let me know. Thanks!
>-Dan Simon

I have come up with a work around for the part where I want to
run slattach from a background in that I put a 3 second sleep
after the command and that seems to solve that problem. There
must be some sort of speed issue and unless someone knows how
to get into dip, I do not know how to solve the dip background
problem.

1. background process persist-or-die when its parent shell dies

I would like to know what causes a child to persist or not-persist when
the originating shell terminates.  My environment is SUN openwindows.

For example, some background child processes (a script.sh & for
example) persists after I exit or kill the shell where I invoked it;
But other background processes of an apparently similar type will
immediately terminate when their parent shell exits.

Why?  Or in other words, how can I write my invokation so that I have
control over whether the child background process is "dependent" on the
parent or not?

My work-around is to invoke my script.sh via  at -qb
in order to ensure that it will persist after the "parent" invoking it dies.
But this seems round-about.

Thanks,

John PRieur

2. Logitech Soundman Wave - problems! (fwd)

3. Dip dies "DIP must never be here!!"

4. Using AMD Athlon with LINUX

5. Communicator dies on add-ins

6. ATA-133 interface on a 164LX ?

7. slattach ok! but Dip Not?

8. Q: crontab disallows multi-line commands?

9. slip question: dip vs. slattach?

10. slattach and dip

11. How to make a bootimage disk, like the bootdsks.144 ins slackware.

12. SLACKWARE 2.10 and Slattach

13. PC-NFS, printing, bannerpage. die.die.die