Newbie Can't get Linux installation program (red hat) to recognise my CD-ROM

Newbie Can't get Linux installation program (red hat) to recognise my CD-ROM

Post by mi.. » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

I've been pulling my hair out for a couple hours now tring to install
the Red Hat 4.2 Distribution of Linux...  I used to think I was an ok
computer user...  Not anymore...  My prob happens when I first bought
a MS based computer... I mean... when I try to install, I'm asked what
medium I will be installing from... I choose Local CD, then I can
choose between scsi (or something like that) and other, I choose other
and I'm given a list of CD drivers to try, some very close to what I
want but none of them work...  so....  any ideas?

Anything will help
Mitch

Newbie Can't get Linux installation program (red hat) to recognise my CD-ROM

Post by Richard Stein » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

spake unto us, saying:

Quote:>I've been pulling my hair out for a couple hours now tring to install
>the Red Hat 4.2 Distribution of Linux...  I used to think I was an ok
>computer user...  Not anymore...  My prob happens when I first bought
>a MS based computer... I mean... when I try to install, I'm asked what
>medium I will be installing from... I choose Local CD, then I can
>choose between scsi (or something like that) and other, I choose other
>and I'm given a list of CD drivers to try, some very close to what I
>want but none of them work...  so....  any ideas?

Need more info.

What CD-ROM drive (make & model) do you have, and how is it connected?

--

           OS/2 Warp 4 + Linux + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
                   The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

Newbie Can't get Linux installation program (red hat) to recognise my CD-ROM

Post by mi.. » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

>spake unto us, saying:

>>I've been pulling my hair out for a couple hours now tring to install
>>the Red Hat 4.2 Distribution of Linux...  I used to think I was an ok
>>computer user...  Not anymore...  My prob happens when I first bought
>>a MS based computer... I mean... when I try to install, I'm asked what
>>medium I will be installing from... I choose Local CD, then I can
>>choose between scsi (or something like that) and other, I choose other
>>and I'm given a list of CD drivers to try, some very close to what I
>>want but none of them work...  so....  any ideas?

>Need more info.

>What CD-ROM drive (make & model) do you have, and how is it connected?

>--

>           OS/2 Warp 4 + Linux + Executor = PC Hobbyist Heaven!
>                   The Theorem Theorem: If If, Then Then.

...hmmm you'd think I would have given that info in the first
place....  <sheepish grin>

CD-ROM is a Sony CDU33A       (2X speed)
it is connected through my Sound Card which is a JAZZ/Pro
Audio16(spectrom?)  Sorry for the vagueness.

Mitch

Newbie Can't get Linux installation program (red hat) to recognise my CD-ROM

Post by J. Schaer » Thu, 11 Jun 1998 04:00:00

following group(s) - comp.os.linux.setup:

Quote:>>>I've been pulling my hair out for a couple hours now tring to install
>>>the Red Hat 4.2 Distribution of Linux...  I used to think I was an ok
>>>computer user...  Not anymore...  My prob happens when I first bought
>>>a MS based computer... I mean... when I try to install, I'm asked what
>>>medium I will be installing from... I choose Local CD, then I can
>>>choose between scsi (or something like that) and other, I choose other
>>>and I'm given a list of CD drivers to try, some very close to what I
>>>want but none of them work...  so....  any ideas?

>>Need more info.

>>What CD-ROM drive (make & model) do you have, and how is it connected?
>CD-ROM is a Sony CDU33A       (2X speed)
>it is connected through my Sound Card which is a JAZZ/Pro
>Audio16(spectrom?)  Sorry for the vagueness.

>Mitch

The problem is not with Linux, but with DOS.  Unfortunately, Windows
has it's own special config files for the disk, CD-ROM, etc.  This is
fine so long as Windows is running.  When you shutdown your computer
and start up in DOS mode, these Windows config files are not
available.  You need to configure the DOS ones: Autoexec.bat and
config.sys.  Install the CD-ROM driver (from the driver disk that came
with it) and install the software that came with your soundcard.
These _should_ modify your settings in autoexec.bat and config.sys.
After doing this, check and see if you can access your CD from real
DOS mode.  If you can't, you need to configure Autoexec.bat.  There
should be a line that reads something like:

C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:OEMCD001 /L:D

This is the line that starts up the CD driver.  You choose the name of
the drive (i.e., D) with the /L:.  See if this works.

Best of luck!

- Jim Schaerer
------------------------------------
To respond via e-mail, remove the
obvious "NOSPAM" from my address

1. Red Hat Linux 3.0.3 doesn't recognize my CD-ROM drive during installation

Symptom: Red Hat Linux 3.0.3 doesn't recognize my CD-ROM drive during
installation.

Information: I have an early NEC 3x SCSI CD-ROM drive.  In normal DOS
booting, even my NCR53c810 SCSI controller doesn't recognize the
CD-ROM during SCSI BIOS polling.  Only after I run the DOS driver,
MSCDEX.EXE, does the CD-ROM get recognized.

Install Scenario: Single floppy and CD-ROM installation.  As per the
readme file on CD-ROM, I didn't use the three floppy installation.  My
boot image was boot0036.img, SCSI NCR53x810, No ethernet, CD-ROM SCSI.

Problem: When I boot from floppy, hit enter once at the boot: prompt
to initialize hardware, I get prompted to insert the ramdisk1.img and
ramdisk2.img floppies.  So I tried the three floppy install and got
to the partitioning section, neither fdisk or cfdisk found any drives.
When I did a media search, the RedHat CD-ROM could not be found.

Questions:
1) Is there a work-around to get RedHat installed from the CD-ROM?

2) Or do I have to copy the entire CD-ROM(s) to a harddrive?

3) It is not very clear in the install manual how to partition Linux.
Currently, I have 2 harddrives, one 540meg for DOS/Windows which is C:
drive; and one 2.1gig with a 2.1gig physical DOS partition but with a
1gig D: drive logical partition reserved for Linux and a 1gig E: drive
logical partition for DOS.  My question is; will Linux do it's own
partitioning of logical drive D: partition?  In other words, are Linux
partitions built on top of existing DOS partitions?  Or will Linux
destroy the other logical drive partition for DOS (drive E:) as well?

4) I have a OPTI-ISA/VLB/PCI MB with a NCR53c810 PCI SCSI controller.
I read a FAQ that said this MB was nothing but trouble.  Has anyone
got Linux installed on this MB successfully yet?

-gary

2. Still time to attend: Testing Computer Software (TCS2001) Conference

3. Normal user required to enter "root" password when using Kppp

4. HELP: Red Hat install doesn't recognize my SCSI CD-ROM or Hard drives

5. Savage MX Drivers

6. Red Hat 4.1 won't recognize my CD-ROM

7. Help me about Control D sequence

8. Can't Recognize Red Hat CD ROM

9. CD-ROM Installation of Red Hat Linux 4.2

10. CD-ROM not Recognized During Install (Red Hat 6.2)

11. Red Hat cd-rom didn't install LILO, how to get to Linux?

12. Need help getting Red Hat 5.1 to see my SCSI CD-ROM