EtherFast Cable/DSL Router setup

Post by GreyClou » Wed, 29 Aug 2001 17:40:56

I have RedHat 7.1 installed.
I've purchased a Linksys cable/router BEFSR41 V.2.
Problem I'm having is I haven't seen any info on setting up one of these

but I'd like to get access to the net under RedHat.
What do I do?
(Not much networking experience)

EtherFast Cable/DSL Router setup

Post by Dave Robbin » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 00:29:15

i have this exact router...heres how you do it. i assume you get DHCP

#1 the dhcp method:

in the routers web based interface take note of the lan ip address (which
will probobly be 192.168.1.1 with subnet 255.255.255.0) under that in the
WAN ip address section make sure "obtain an ip address automatically" is
selected. now on your linux system when you set up your network card make
sure you tell it to use DHCP...now once everything is configured properly
and plugged in, turn off the computer. then turn on your cable
modem....wait until its all the way on...then turn on the router...read
the manual that came with it also. then turn on the computer...and that
should be it.

#2 use your static ip address:

this option will only be helpful to you if you want to forward ports to
your linux box for any server that you may want to run. first make sure
your network card is set up to manually get its ip address. then on the
routers web based interface click "specify and ip address" and put in the
proper information (you can get this under windows by clicking "start"
"run" and typing in "winipcfg". once all the information is set up
properly in there, go under linux to the network card configuration and
put 192.168.1.100 as your ip address and 192.168.1.1 as your gateway, and
255.255.255.0 as your subnet. and that should be it. to the public your ip

you can forward ports from there. there is one downside to this

this you will have to change back to DHCP and get the new ip
address....and adjust the router config accordingly.

thats is...if you need any further assistance while setting this up, email
me.

--
          a8888b.
         d888888b.

         8`._,' Y8.
        d/      `8b.
       dP   .    Y8b.
      d8:'  "  `::88b
     d8"         'Y88b
    :8P    '      :888
     88888a:     _a88P
   ._/"Yaa_:   .| 88P|
   \    YP"    `| 8P  `.
   /     \.___.d|    .'
  `--..___)8888P`._.'

-------------

Tech Support Scenario:

Customer: Im running windows...
Tech: Yes...
Customer: My computer isnt working now...
Tech: Yes, you said that

-------------

Dave Robbins

Post by Wayne Thro » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 03:56:31

:: I've purchased a Linksys cable/router BEFSR41 V.2.  Problem I'm
:: having is I haven't seen any info on setting up one of these for

: in the routers web based interface take note of the lan ip address
: (which will probobly be 192.168.1.1 with subnet 255.255.255.0) under
: that in the WAN ip address section make sure "obtain an ip address
: automatically" is selected.

information to hand you, and may well not respond to you at all if the
router doesn't claim to have the right name.  It's in the wan config
section also.  Set it to the same name your windows system was set up to

: use your static ip address: this option will only be helpful to you if
: you want to forward ports to your linux box for any server that you
: may want to run.

You *can* forward ports to an address gotten from the router
(note: from the router, in its internal address range, not from
the cable company) instead of statically set.  But that address
can change if you reboot your linux box, so the static setup
is usually the best idea if that's what you want.

: to change your ip address...to fix this you will have to change back
: to DHCP and get the new ip address....and adjust the router config
: accordingly.

No, you won't have to change your router config.  That's the point;

are forwarding to is static.  You may have to tell people to contact
a different IP address if you gave out the old one, as a URL or something.
But typically, if you tell them xx999999-x.something.whatnot.home.com,
everything will Just Work when you get reassigned a new IP.

machine (ie, you are the one who will be connecting outwards, for web
pages, telnet, whatever), then you set the WAN config on the router to

the factory; then set your linux (and any other) systems to get their
address via DHCP, plug everything in, reset the modem, reboot the
router, reboot the systems (or down/up the interface for the linux
case if you don't want to reboot linux), and it Should Just Work.

"He's not just a Galaxy Ranger... he's a Super-Trooper!"

Post by GreyClou » Thu, 30 Aug 2001 05:49:47

> i have this exact router...heres how you do it. i assume you get DHCP

> #1 the dhcp method:

> in the routers web based interface take note of the lan ip address (which
> will probobly be 192.168.1.1 with subnet 255.255.255.0) under that in the
> WAN ip address section make sure "obtain an ip address automatically" is
> selected. now on your linux system when you set up your network card make
> sure you tell it to use DHCP...now once everything is configured properly
> and plugged in, turn off the computer. then turn on your cable
> modem....wait until its all the way on...then turn on the router...read
> the manual that came with it also. then turn on the computer...and that
> should be it.

> #2 use your static ip address:

> this option will only be helpful to you if you want to forward ports to
> your linux box for any server that you may want to run. first make sure
> your network card is set up to manually get its ip address. then on the
> routers web based interface click "specify and ip address" and put in the
> proper information (you can get this under windows by clicking "start"
> "run" and typing in "winipcfg". once all the information is set up
> properly in there, go under linux to the network card configuration and
> put 192.168.1.100 as your ip address and 192.168.1.1 as your gateway, and
> 255.255.255.0 as your subnet. and that should be it. to the public your ip

> you can forward ports from there. there is one downside to this

> this you will have to change back to DHCP and get the new ip
> address....and adjust the router config accordingly.

> thats is...if you need any further assistance while setting this up, email
> me.

> > I have RedHat 7.1 installed.
> > I've purchased a Linksys cable/router BEFSR41 V.2.
> > Problem I'm having is I haven't seen any info on setting up one of these

> > but I'd like to get access to the net under RedHat.
> > What do I do?
> > (Not much networking experience)

> --
>           a8888b.
>          d888888b.
>          8P"YP"Y88
>          8|o||o|88      Dave Robbins

>          8`._,' Y8.
>         d/      `8b.
>        dP   .    Y8b.
>       d8:'  "  `::88b
>      d8"         'Y88b
>     :8P    '      :888
>      88888a:     _a88P
>    ._/"Yaa_:   .| 88P|
>    \    YP"    `| 8P  `.
>    /     \.___.d|    .'
>   `--..___)8888P`._.'

> -------------

> Tech Support Scenario:

> Customer: Im running windows...
> Tech: Yes...
> Customer: My computer isnt working now...
> Tech: Yes, you said that

> -------------

> Dave Robbins

Thank you much!
It works fine now.  I think my only problem was not knowing you have to shut
the computer
off and then starting it up again.  I can now say that the Linksys products
work like a
charm with RedHat 7.1!
Thanks again for both of the posters for their help and insights.

1. LiknkSys BEFSR41 Cable/DSL EtherFast Switch/Router

Hi,

I have a cable connection to the Internet through the LiknkSys BEFSR41
Cable/DSL EtherFast Switch/Router.  I am using a 192.168.1.x private net
along with other Windows machines.  The question I have is if it is
possible to run a mail server on each machine, i.e. I have sendmail on my
Linux machine and would also like to start a similar thing on other windows
with windows software.  I tried to enable port 25 forward for all the
192.168.1.x IP address and ended up with my Linux sendmail was unable to
respond to the incoming e-mail.  I certainly would appreciate any help in
this matter.  TIA.

2. mmap

3. LinkSys EtherFast Cable/DSL Router Voice Enabler (BEFN2PE)

4. /dev/dsp

5. can I setup linux as a router to DSL and cable?

6. Kppp dialer no route

7. Setup printer attached to DSL/Cable router in Linux

8. Sending a string from a Unix box to NT box

9. DSL/Cable Router vs "Ordinary Router"

10. Linksys Etherfast DSL router & Red Hat 7.1

11. DSL/Cable modem router vs IP Masquerading

12. LINKSYS Cable/DSL 8 Port Router and LINUX...

13. Linksys Cable/DSL router with Linux