X Server with S3 Virge dx (and login?) problems

X Server with S3 Virge dx (and login?) problems

Post by Ben Thoma » Thu, 26 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Hi,
I recently installed Redhat 5.1 it detected my card correctly: I'm using
using the S3V "driver", but the SVGA is also supposed to work.  I'm
currently having a lot of problems, but now it dies after I logon and kicks
me out to normal linux (level 3).  Of course I can then start X fine and it
works, but after a few logouts it locks up, completely!!!  So my question is
if the SVGA driver is better, more stable/reliable or faster? What's the
easiest way to install it?

Oh, and this isn't really hardware related, but it might be
related...recently I can't logon as anyone other than root.  I even created
more new users, but still couldn't logon as them?  And when I do logon as
root, it tells me "This machine will restart at Nov.24, 1998 at 21:00 pm".
What the hell?  The last thing I remember changing the last time it worked
was the IP addresses for my net card (which is connected to another Win95
PC)  Of course it responds to pings...

Both the login problems and the X server problems happened at the same time,
so am I missing something here?

Thanks, sorry for dragging it on.
Ben

X Server with S3 Virge dx (and login?) problems

Post by Gavin McCor » Fri, 27 Nov 1998 04:00:00

The S3 Virge/DX is not well supported and you need
to use the SVGA server.

--
"I'm Keyser Soze. No, I'm Keyser Soze. I'm Keyser Soze and so's
my wife..."

X Server with S3 Virge dx (and login?) problems

Post by Justin Youn » Sat, 28 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Interesting.  I bought a cheap (read $40) 4MB S3 Virge card that didn't even
come w/ NT drivers.  It works fine w/ that server under RH 5.0&5.1

What kind of card (mfgr. & specs.) do you have?

Quote:>The S3 Virge/DX is not well supported and you need
>to use the SVGA server.

X Server with S3 Virge dx (and login?) problems

Post by Glenn T. Jayapute » Mon, 30 Nov 1998 04:00:00

On Thu, 26 Nov 1998 08:46:39 +0000,

>The S3 Virge/DX is not well supported and you need
>to use the SVGA server.

Is it possible during setup to tell to use SVGA rather than S3?
5.2 always locks up on my system during probing.  Completly frozen my
system.

cheers
gTesla

X Server with S3 Virge dx (and login?) problems

Post by Mike Grah » Mon, 30 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>Is it possible during setup to tell to use SVGA rather than S3?
>5.2 always locks up on my system during probing.  Completly frozen my
>system.

  I had a similar problem with my DSV3325.  Is your card in the list
that the xconf utility shows you?  Some can't handle having a clocks
line and whatnot.  I ended up putting in mostlly defaults (didn't
specify a RAMDAC, didn't specify much of *anything*).

X Server with S3 Virge dx (and login?) problems

Post by Bogw » Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I went through hell with an Acer version of a S3 Virge /DX, finally
chucked it, got a $20 Mach 64 and never looked back.

1. S3 ViRGE/DX and S3 ViRGE/GX: is one better than the other?

On a friend's recommendation, I ordered an S3 ViRGE/DX video card for
the PC I am putting together. I received an S3 ViRGE/GX card instead.

Is one better than the other in general? Is one more compatible with
XFree86? Or are the two roughly the same, so that I should just keep
the GX card?

Thanks for your input,

Mike Decerbo

617-873-4443

2. Netscape command

3. Textmode corruption with S3 ViRGE/DX X server

4. Three-button mouse for Linux on iBook?

5. Help about X server on S3 VIRGE/DX 3000 with DSV3325DX graphic processor

6. IP Masquerade

7. S3 Virge / DX Server

8. Netscape3.01 Java Problem (not Bus Error/malloc one)

9. X Server for S3 ViRGE /DX

10. S3 ViRGE DX Problems

11. Redhat Linux 5.2 and S3-Virge DX problems

12. S3 virge DX chipset and redhat 5.0 install problems

13. S3 ViRGE DX(375) Problems