Is an InPort Mouse a Bus Mouse?

Post by Kent Thomso » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00

I'm a LINUX newbie and I can't get my mouse to work.

I have a Microsoft (old) "InPort" mouse with its own board.  I believe this
is the same as a Bus Mouse but mouseconfig will not find it.  I have tried
just about every selection mouseconfig offers.  I tried taking the board
out and hooking up a PS2 mouse to COM1, but mouseconfig would not recognize
it either.  I cannot startx (error 111, no mouse).

I'm think I'm almost ready to go buy a new mouse if someone can confirm
that the InPort mouse will not work.  Any help will be greatly appreicated.
--

R. Kent Thomson

1. Bus Mouse - MS Inport Bus mouse will not work

I have an MS InPort Mouse. It is from an early vintage, a "Dove Bar" SN
1177542.
I have it hardware configured at Interrupt 5.
The mouse works correctly under the DOS mouse driver and passes hardware
diagnostics.

I am Running RedHat Linux i386 v 5.2
I have read through and tried the combinations from the BusMouse-HOWTO
Specifically, I have booted with the LILO parameter > linux bmouse=5
Startup messages confirm that interrupt 5 is assigned to the bus mouse:
"Logitech bus mouse detected, using IRQ 5" Followed by:
"ATI Inport Bus mouse detected and installed."
gpm gives an error on startup " gpm: /dev/mouse : Operation not supported by
device"
My /dev/mouse is a link to /dev/inport which is at major device number 10,
minor 2.
I have tried using XF86Setup and configuring the mouse as:
Busmouse, Microsoft, Logitech as suggested by the HOWTO

None of it works.
Any ideas making the little beast operate?

2. S3 864 and AcerView 33

3. FAT spurious directory entries

4. Mouse Systems PC Mouse 3D/6D Bus Mouse driver?

5. Cannot run X-windows by using S3 Virge GX2 chipset with 4M SGRAM

6. Bus/InPort Mouse problems! Argh!

7. multiple volumen - auto-spanning archive

8. Help with X and MS Inport Bus Mouse

9. Inport Bus Mouse

10. Microsoft inport(bus) mouse behaves erratically.

11. inport bus mouse unrecognized

12. Help with X and MS Inport Bus Mouse