xdm setup

Post by James Ousb » Mon, 03 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I'm running redhat 5.1 and was wondering if it is possible to have linux
load straight to the xdm login screen, instead of waiting for several
seconds at the text login prompt. Myself and other people that use my
computer keep forgetting about xdm and start typing at the normal prompt
before it loads up xdm, it doesn't affect anything but it is annoying.

Ouso

xdm setup

Post by Peter L Jone » Mon, 03 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> I'm running redhat 5.1 and was wondering if it is possible to have linux
> load straight to the xdm login screen, instead of waiting for several
> seconds at the text login prompt. Myself and other people that use my
> computer keep forgetting about xdm and start typing at the normal prompt
> before it loads up xdm, it doesn't affect anything but it is annoying.

> Ouso

Change your /etc/inittab to *not* have getty running on the first
virtual terminal.  That way, you'll get your boottime messages but no
login prompt (and still have text mode on vts2-6 if you want it).
(Take "5" out of the line starting getty on vt1.)

-- Peter

1. xdm-setup question

Hello out there!

    A problem of a novice Linux user:

       I'm unable to have xdm control  the login procedure. Xdm starts itself
       and starts the X server right, the xlogin window appears, but the user
       password verification allways fails.

       Deleting the password entries in /etc/passwd makes login enable, but I
       don't think that's the right way to establish this feature.

       Running 'xdm -debug 1' enforces this fact, cause it says 'verification
       password  failed' (or something   like that, don't remember the  exact
       message). Telling me  the length of the typed  password --  I think it
       reads the correct one from the login window.

    Obviously xdm crypt's the password in another way the passwd program does.

    So:

    What can I do?  Do I have to recompile xdm?

    I  got XFree86-3.1.2  from  a precompiled installation  and  there  is no
    source code of the  XFree86 clients. Do I  have to recompile the original
    MIT distribution? (Is  this even possible on  linux  systems?)

    Are there  places in the net  where I can  get binary  xdm versions using
    different password coding algorithms?

    Many thanks in advance -- Peter
Peter Weiss, Sonnenstra?e 17, D-26123 Oldenburg, Tel:  0441/ 81058
http://www.informatik.uni-oldenburg.de:/~weissp
-- Slow has got 4 letters so has calm; speed has got 5 letters so has death --

2. KCharset - wrong character set errors

3. XDM setup with chooser

4. Solaris for Dummies

5. XDM setup

6. Apache logfile analysis by sub-directory

7. xdm setup

8. masquerade...

9. xdm setup problem

10. SunOS 4.1.4 XDM Setup???

11. xdm setup

12. xdm - setup procedure not implemented ?

13. XDM setup