Rebuild an RPM?

Post by Bill Dun » Thu, 03 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hello. I'm looking for some documentation on how to recompile or rebuild an
RPM. I just need to recompile wu_ftpd and sendmail for virtual web sites.
Can anyone help? Would "Maximum RPM" from Red Hat help me?

Thanks.

Bill Dunn
Vision Communications
http://www.vci.net

Rebuild an RPM?

Post by Frank Sweetse » Tue, 08 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> Hello. I'm looking for some documentation on how to recompile or rebuild an
> RPM. I just need to recompile wu_ftpd and sendmail for virtual web sites.
> Can anyone help? Would "Maximum RPM" from Red Hat help me?

Maxmimum RPM (get the poscript file for free from www.rpm.org) will tell
you everything you want to know.  Short version:

install the .src.rpm file
edit /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/package-name.spec
        Most of it you can leave, you mostly want to edit the %build and
        %install sections.  Also look into the %patch stuff in the docs for
        applying any patches you may have.  Probably also want to change
        the package version to identify any changes you made.
rebuild with
        'rpm -ba package-name.spec'
This will build
/usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/package-name.i386.rpm  <-- your new rpm
/usr/src/redhat/SRPMS/package-name.src.rpm       <-- your new srpm

and just rpm -Uvh the new rpm.

--
Windows: I can play Doom!              |RedHat Linux 2.0.31pre-2 i486
Linux: I can be a file server, be a Web|Because reboots are for upgrades!

1. Pb rebuild SRC.RPM : cannot create //root/rpm/SOURCES

Hello all,

I want to rebuild a source RPM so I launch the following command as root :

 rpm --rebuild rpmfind*src.rpm

Then I get the following messages :

Installing rpmfind-1.5-1.src.rpm cannot create //root/rpm/SOURCES

And the system returns me to the command line. I have rpm and rpm-devel
3.0-8 installed on my machine. *

Anyone has an idea what is wrong ? thanks in advance.

2. OSE 5.0 & Registration

3. Can I rebuild the rpm database from scratch?

4. TNG Agent Technologies

5. Passing compiler flags when rebuilding with RPM

6. REDHAT 6.1 install; Login password failure: HELP!

7. rpm --rebuild procps-1.2.7-1.src.rpm error

8. from macosrumors (about release 5)

9. rpm problem, can't "rpm --rebuild"

10. Rebuilding rpm database

11. RPM database rebuild help

12. Problem rebuilding util-linux-2.9i.src.rpm

13. rpm --rebuild fails, returns usage screen