System sounds work for root, not for user

System sounds work for root, not for user

Post by John Holde » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



Hello,

I'm pretty much a Linux newbie and I'm having problems getting system
sounds to work in the user account (they work just fine in root, but
nowhere else).  I got the CD player to work in the user account by
entering chmod 666 /dev/cdrom; have tried similar entries for
kaudioserver, kwmsound, etc. but have not had success.  Have also issued
numerous chmod commands (as root, of course) for the
files/devices I thought might be involved (audio, audio1, sdb, sbpcd,
sndstat, etc.)

When I exit KDE (as user, not root) I have some messages on the screen
above the command prompt that read:

PID could not get read.
State=0
kaudioserver:  Can't connect to the X Server.
kaudioserver:  Audio system might not terminate at end of session.
Failed starting audio server!

I don't get these messages, and I don't have problems hearing system
sounds, when I'm logged in as root and running KDE that way.

System details:  I'm running Caldera OpenLinux eDesktop 2.4 (with KDE
1.1.2-13) on a Dell XPS133 (upgraded to 200 MHz with an evergreen add-on

CPU chip) with 64 MB of RAM, a 3.2 GB hd and a Rage IIC video card.
Sound card is a true SB16 w/ AWE32 upgrade.

Appreciate any help you can give me.  Thanks in advance to any gurus
familiar with this problem who can offer some guidance!

John Holder

 
 
 

System sounds work for root, not for user

Post by Raffael Herzo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> Hello,

> I'm pretty much a Linux newbie and I'm having problems getting
> system sounds to work in the user account (they work just fine in
> root, but nowhere else).  I got the CD player to work in the user
> account by entering chmod 666 /dev/cdrom;

Normally, there is a group called "disk" which has the permissions
needed to play audio CD's.

Quote:> have tried similar entries for kaudioserver, kwmsound, etc. but have
> not had success.  Have also issued numerous chmod commands (as root,
> of course) for the files/devices I thought might be involved (audio,
> audio1, sdb, sbpcd, sndstat, etc.)

Should not be necessary.

Quote:> When I exit KDE (as user, not root) I have some messages on the
> screen above the command prompt that read:

> PID could not get read.
> State=0
> kaudioserver:  Can't connect to the X Server.
> kaudioserver:  Audio system might not terminate at end of session.
> Failed starting audio server!

How did you start it? Were you logged in as root in a user terminal
trying to start kaudioserver? I ask this because it doesn't seem to be
a problem of sound but a problem of X.

Can you play a sound using "play file" or "cat file >/dev/dsp"? On my
system, the KDE sound files are under /opt/kde/share/sounds.

Quote:> I don't get these messages, and I don't have problems hearing system
> sounds, when I'm logged in as root and running KDE that way.

> System details:  I'm running Caldera OpenLinux eDesktop 2.4 (with KDE
> 1.1.2-13) on a Dell XPS133 (upgraded to 200 MHz with an evergreen add-on

> CPU chip) with 64 MB of RAM, a 3.2 GB hd and a Rage IIC video card.
> Sound card is a true SB16 w/ AWE32 upgrade.

> Appreciate any help you can give me.  Thanks in advance to any gurus
> familiar with this problem who can offer some guidance!

> John Holder

--
Raffael Herzog

ICQ #67961355

 
 
 

1. System sounds work in root, but not in user

Hello,

I'm pretty much a Linux newbie and I'm having problems getting system
sounds to work in the user account (they work just fine in root, but
nowhere else).  I got the CD player to work in the user account by
entering chmod 666 /dev/cdrom; have tried similar entries for
kaudioserver, kwmsound, etc. but have not had success.  Have also issued
numerous chmod commands (as root, of course) for the files/devices I
thought might be involved (audio, audio1, sdb, sbpcd, sndstat, etc.)

When I exit KDE (as user, not root) I have some messages on the screen
above the command prompt that read:

PID could not get read.
State=0
kaudioserver:  Can't connect to the X Server.
kaudioserver:  Audio system might not terminate at end of session.
Failed starting audio server!

I don't get these messages, and I don't have problems hearing system
sounds, when I'm logged in as root and running KDE that way.

System details:  I'm running Caldera OpenLinux eDesktop 2.4 (with KDE
1.1.2-13) on a Dell XPS133 (upgraded to 200 MHz with an evergreen add-on
CPU chip) with 64 MB of RAM, a 3.2 GB hd and a Rage IIC video card.
Sound card is a true SB16 w/ AWE32 upgrade.

Appreciate any help you can give me.  Thanks in advance to any gurus
familiar with this problem who can offer some guidance!

John Holder

2. Samba: Problem saving Visual Studio workspace

3. System sounds work in root but not user

4. Setting DEC TULIP to use "FAST"

5. Sounds work in root, but not in user

6. Control-panel in X windows are missing icons!!

7. sound works as root but not normal user

8. How to install AZT1008 PnP sound device ?

9. No sound for users in Gnome, but Root works okay

10. Red Hat Linux 6--sound for root, not for users

11. Sound for root but not for user

12. How do I get PPP to work for a user, not just root?

13. Please Help: XF86Config works as root but not as user!