Problems with Mandrake 8 / Win98 tcp/ip setup

Problems with Mandrake 8 / Win98 tcp/ip setup

Post by pet » Wed, 10 Oct 2001 22:31:54



I have just set up a Mandrake 8 server / dialup Internet machine,
which I want to serve Win98 (or indeed Mandrake) client PCs. I cannot
get the Win98 client to talk to the server using TCP/IP. HELP!

Present setup in brief:
Server: Mandrake 8, using command line (i.e. not X).
Have set up demand dialling using pppd 'demand' function (kernel 2.4)
and have set up masquerading using NAT and Bastille Firewall. Running
DNS cache server  on same address as eth0 gateway.

Client: Win98.
Using TCP/IP over ethernet to server. This is the only TCP/IP
connection running. Set gateway to IP of server eth0, set DNS to ISP
DNS and to server DNS address. Browser set to 'direct network
connection'.

The symptoms are:
Ping on client works fine, and can ping Internet addresses anywhere.
Client cannot connect using http. The browser says its resolving the
address, then says its connecting then times out. I assume it has done
the DNS lookup, but failed to make the http connection.
Client cannot make http connection to server (I know apache is
running, cos I can connect on server itself), not even using the ip
address directly.

The only odd thing is that if I do a 'route -n' on the server, it
shows a private address for ppp0 (10.10. .....). If I connect without
demand dialling, it uses an address from the range that my ISP uses -
presumably the one my ISP dynamically assigns me on connection.

Has anyone any ideas? I have worked so many evenings trying to get it
going that I'm about to give up and go back to the dreaded NT :-(

Pete

 
 
 

Problems with Mandrake 8 / Win98 tcp/ip setup

Post by Fred Roche » Wed, 10 Oct 2001 23:16:46


Well, your server seems to have a good internet connection, as you can
ping an internet machine from your server (E.g. www.google.com)

Does you server can ping the client ? Does your client can ping the server ?
Before thinking about accessing the web from the client, you need to
ensure that the tcp connection between the client and the server is OK.

It works for me.
The 2 machines need to be on the same network.
It means that the eth0 of your server and the eth0 of your client needs
to have a similar IP address such as: 192.168.0.1 for the server and
192.168.0.2 for the client.
And both needs to have 255.255.255.0 as subnet mask.

Gnu command to check is ifconfig
Then, you can ping 192.168.0.1 from 192.168.0.2 and vice versa.
Use linuxconf command to configure the ethernet interface in text mode.

If you still can't do this, then try to unload your firewall for test
purpose, and then see if server and client can see each other.
If it solves your problem, then you need to configure your firewall so
that it only prevent access to the server from the internet, and not
from machine inside your LAN.

Keep us in touch.

Fred


> I have just set up a Mandrake 8 server / dialup Internet machine,
> which I want to serve Win98 (or indeed Mandrake) client PCs. I cannot
> get the Win98 client to talk to the server using TCP/IP. HELP!

> Present setup in brief:
> Server: Mandrake 8, using command line (i.e. not X).
> Have set up demand dialling using pppd 'demand' function (kernel 2.4)
> and have set up masquerading using NAT and Bastille Firewall. Running
> DNS cache server  on same address as eth0 gateway.

> Client: Win98.
> Using TCP/IP over ethernet to server. This is the only TCP/IP
> connection running. Set gateway to IP of server eth0, set DNS to ISP
> DNS and to server DNS address. Browser set to 'direct network
> connection'.

> The symptoms are:
> Ping on client works fine, and can ping Internet addresses anywhere.
> Client cannot connect using http. The browser says its resolving the
> address, then says its connecting then times out. I assume it has done
> the DNS lookup, but failed to make the http connection.
> Client cannot make http connection to server (I know apache is
> running, cos I can connect on server itself), not even using the ip
> address directly.

> The only odd thing is that if I do a 'route -n' on the server, it
> shows a private address for ppp0 (10.10. .....). If I connect without
> demand dialling, it uses an address from the range that my ISP uses -
> presumably the one my ISP dynamically assigns me on connection.

> Has anyone any ideas? I have worked so many evenings trying to get it
> going that I'm about to give up and go back to the dreaded NT :-(

> Pete


 
 
 

Problems with Mandrake 8 / Win98 tcp/ip setup

Post by CyberC » Thu, 11 Oct 2001 06:59:04



> The symptoms are:
> Ping on client works fine, and can ping Internet addresses anywhere.
> Client cannot connect using http. The browser says its resolving the
> address, then says its connecting then times out. I assume it has done
> the DNS lookup, but failed to make the http connection.
> Client cannot make http connection to server (I know apache is
> running, cos I can connect on server itself), not even using the ip
> address directly.

This may sound crazy, and I'm not sure that it will work for you, but
this exact same thing happened to me today as I was trying to set up
SNF.  As it turned out, the Win98 client I was using was an old
winsock proxy client and the wsp client was enabled.  I could ping and
dns looked like it was working correctly, but I could not http
anywhere.  Once I disabled the proxy client, everything worked like it
was supposed to.

/g

 
 
 

Problems with Mandrake 8 / Win98 tcp/ip setup

Post by pet » Thu, 11 Oct 2001 20:40:18


I do indeed have the wsp client enabled on my Win98 machine. I'll try
disabling it as you suggest. If that does not work I'll try Fred's
suggestion of un loading the firewall in the server until I know it
all works.

Thanks for the prompt response,

Pete



> > The symptoms are:
> > Ping on client works fine, and can ping Internet addresses anywhere.
> > Client cannot connect using http. The browser says its resolving the
> > address, then says its connecting then times out. I assume it has done
> > the DNS lookup, but failed to make the http connection.
> > Client cannot make http connection to server (I know apache is
> > running, cos I can connect on server itself), not even using the ip
> > address directly.

> This may sound crazy, and I'm not sure that it will work for you, but
> this exact same thing happened to me today as I was trying to set up
> SNF.  As it turned out, the Win98 client I was using was an old
> winsock proxy client and the wsp client was enabled.  I could ping and
> dns looked like it was working correctly, but I could not http
> anywhere.  Once I disabled the proxy client, everything worked like it
> was supposed to.

> /g

 
 
 

Problems with Mandrake 8 / Win98 tcp/ip setup

Post by pet » Thu, 11 Oct 2001 20:54:45


Hi Fred,

Thanks for responding so quickly.

(responses below ... )


> Well, your server seems to have a good internet connection, as you can
> ping an internet machine from your server (E.g. www.google.com)

> Does you server can ping the client ? Does your client can ping the server ?

Yes and yes ...

Quote:> Before thinking about accessing the web from the client, you need to
> ensure that the tcp connection between the client and the server is OK.

Yes, that's what I thought. It's curious that I can ping the Internet
from the client, but not access the server via http!! If I can find
out why they can't connect, it will probably solve the problem.

Quote:

> It works for me.
> The 2 machines need to be on the same network.
> It means that the eth0 of your server and the eth0 of your client needs
> to have a similar IP address such as: 192.168.0.1 for the server and
> 192.168.0.2 for the client.
> And both needs to have 255.255.255.0 as subnet mask.

Yep, got that. Server is already 192.168.0.1 client 192.168.0.23
(don't ask why 23 :-| ) subnet mask on both 255.255.255.0

Quote:> Gnu command to check is ifconfig
> Then, you can ping 192.168.0.1 from 192.168.0.2 and vice versa.

Can do that.

Quote:> Use linuxconf command to configure the ethernet interface in text mode.

Will have a look at that to check.

Quote:> If you still can't do this, then try to unload your firewall for test
> purpose, and then see if server and client can see each other.

That is worth a go. Keep the setup simple.

Quote:> If it solves your problem, then you need to configure your firewall so
> that it only prevent access to the server from the internet, and not
> from machine inside your LAN.

"*CFO" suggested disabling the winsock proxy client on Win98. I'd
forgotten that was enabled, so I'll give that a go as well.

Thanks for the help, bye for now,

Pete

 
 
 

Problems with Mandrake 8 / Win98 tcp/ip setup

Post by mooni » Fri, 12 Oct 2001 07:34:13



> Hi Fred,

> Thanks for responding so quickly.

> (responses below ... )


> > Well, your server seems to have a good internet connection, as you can
> > ping an internet machine from your server (E.g. www.google.com)

> > Does you server can ping the client ? Does your client can ping the server ?

> Yes and yes ...

> > Before thinking about accessing the web from the client, you need to
> > ensure that the tcp connection between the client and the server is OK.

> Yes, that's what I thought. It's curious that I can ping the Internet
> from the client, but not access the server via http!! If I can find
> out why they can't connect, it will probably solve the problem.

> > It works for me.
> > The 2 machines need to be on the same network.
> > It means that the eth0 of your server and the eth0 of your client needs
> > to have a similar IP address such as: 192.168.0.1 for the server and
> > 192.168.0.2 for the client.
> > And both needs to have 255.255.255.0 as subnet mask.

> Yep, got that. Server is already 192.168.0.1 client 192.168.0.23
> (don't ask why 23 :-| ) subnet mask on both 255.255.255.0

> > Gnu command to check is ifconfig
> > Then, you can ping 192.168.0.1 from 192.168.0.2 and vice versa.

> Can do that.

> > Use linuxconf command to configure the ethernet interface in text mode.

> Will have a look at that to check.

> > If you still can't do this, then try to unload your firewall for test
> > purpose, and then see if server and client can see each other.

> That is worth a go. Keep the setup simple.

> > If it solves your problem, then you need to configure your firewall so
> > that it only prevent access to the server from the internet, and not
> > from machine inside your LAN.

> "*CFO" suggested disabling the winsock proxy client on Win98. I'd
> forgotten that was enabled, so I'll give that a go as well.

> Thanks for the help, bye for now,

> Pete

If you can access web pages using an IP address then your problem is
DNS, do you have DNS servers set up on your Win box?  If you can't
access web pages using the IP address then it is another issue and you
should follow the directions of the other responses.

moonie ;)

 
 
 

Problems with Mandrake 8 / Win98 tcp/ip setup

Post by pet » Fri, 12 Oct 2001 18:00:56


Well guys, problem solved!!

There were two problems, the second I only found when I went to put
the pppd command in rc.local. They were:

- Winsock proxy running on Win98 machine - it was obviously holding up
winsock operations cos it could not contact the NTserver. Disabling on
in Control Panel was enough.

- I had a syntax error on the line in rc.local on the mdk server that
meant NAT was never actually enabled - no wonder the server was deaf!!

All corrected now, and all running. All blame now allocated to Wild
Bill, the Spawn of the Devil himself, and to my poor eyesight /
fumbling fingers.

Thanks again

Pete


> I have just set up a Mandrake 8 server / dialup Internet machine,
> which I want to serve Win98 (or indeed Mandrake) client PCs. I cannot
> get the Win98 client to talk to the server using TCP/IP. HELP!

> Present setup in brief:
> Server: Mandrake 8, using command line (i.e. not X).
> Have set up demand dialling using pppd 'demand' function (kernel 2.4)
> and have set up masquerading using NAT and Bastille Firewall. Running
> DNS cache server  on same address as eth0 gateway.

> Client: Win98.
> Using TCP/IP over ethernet to server. This is the only TCP/IP
> connection running. Set gateway to IP of server eth0, set DNS to ISP
> DNS and to server DNS address. Browser set to 'direct network
> connection'.

> The symptoms are:
> Ping on client works fine, and can ping Internet addresses anywhere.
> Client cannot connect using http. The browser says its resolving the
> address, then says its connecting then times out. I assume it has done
> the DNS lookup, but failed to make the http connection.
> Client cannot make http connection to server (I know apache is
> running, cos I can connect on server itself), not even using the ip
> address directly.

> The only odd thing is that if I do a 'route -n' on the server, it
> shows a private address for ppp0 (10.10. .....). If I connect without
> demand dialling, it uses an address from the range that my ISP uses -
> presumably the one my ISP dynamically assigns me on connection.

> Has anyone any ideas? I have worked so many evenings trying to get it
> going that I'm about to give up and go back to the dreaded NT :-(

> Pete