Remote shutdown and sendmail startup

Post by Manuel Alduci » Tue, 04 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Another problem. We recently installed RedHat 5.1 to take charge of relaying
the internal email. Problem is that our Linux guru left so we are somewhat
newbies at this. While we setup the system we need the capability to remotely
shutdown the computer via telnet. I know it's a great security hazzard, but
we need to have root shutdown and reboot the system. Is there a way to do
this? Also since we are using sendmail for relaying, sometimes we need to
make changes, but first we kill the process. How do you restart sendmail
again,if possible also thru telnet? Well thanks in advance and if possible
reply by email, but I'll continue checking the newsgroups.

Manuel Alducin

Computer Graphics and Multimedia
The George Washington University

Post by Richard S. Lumpki » Wed, 05 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> Another problem. We recently installed RedHat 5.1 to take charge of relaying
> the internal email. Problem is that our Linux guru left so we are somewhat
> newbies at this. While we setup the system we need the capability to remotely
> shutdown the computer via telnet. I know it's a great security hazzard, but
> we need to have root shutdown and reboot the system. Is there a way to do
> this? Also since we are using sendmail for relaying, sometimes we need to
> make changes, but first we kill the process. How do you restart sendmail
> again,if possible also thru telnet? Well thanks in advance and if possible
> reply by email, but I'll continue checking the newsgroups.

> Manuel Alducin

> Computer Graphics and Multimedia
> The George Washington University

All things are possible:

Shutdown

telnet, rlogin, ssh as a normal user

at the prompt

su

give the root password at the prompt

at the prompt

/sbin/halt

this will stop the machine and will require a physical finger to restart
it.

or at the prompt

/sbin/reboot

This will reboot the machine.

There is a command to restart sendmail but I don't remember it off hand,
buy the book:

Sendmail from O'Riley and Associates

You'll be needing it.

Richard S. Lumpkin, Ph.D.                            Associate Professor
Department of Chemistry                                     256-890-6365
University of Alabama in Huntsville                     fax 256-890-6349
Huntsville, AL 35899                          http://chromophore.uah.edu