SCSI emulation with ATAPI device

Post by Billy A » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi, everyone!
I have Red Hat 6.0 with 2.2.12 kernel
I also have a CD-ROM (ATAPI) and I want to use it with
SCSI emulation (because I'll buy a CD-R (also ATAPI) and
I want to check out SCSI emulation earlier)
During the kernel compilation, I disabled
"IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM support" and enabled as modules
"SCSI emulation", "SCSI support", "SCSI CD-ROM support" and
"SCSI generic support".
The problem is that the "ide-scsi" module (from SCSI emulation) is not
loaded when I access my CD-ROM.
The only way I could see my CD-ROM with SCSI emulation is if I
enable all the above directly in the kernel (not as modules).
Can anyone tell me what I have to do now to see my CD-ROM with
all the above enabled as modules?
Thanks in advance :)

SCSI emulation with ATAPI device

Post by Davide Bianc » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Hi, everyone!
>I have Red Hat 6.0 with 2.2.12 kernel
>I also have a CD-ROM (ATAPI) and I want to use it with
>SCSI emulation (because I'll buy a CD-R (also ATAPI) and
>I want to check out SCSI emulation earlier)
>During the kernel compilation, I disabled
>"IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM support" and enabled as modules
>"SCSI emulation", "SCSI support", "SCSI CD-ROM support" and
>"SCSI generic support".
>The problem is that the "ide-scsi" module (from SCSI emulation) is not
>loaded when I access my CD-ROM.
>The only way I could see my CD-ROM with SCSI emulation is if I
>enable all the above directly in the kernel (not as modules).
>Can anyone tell me what I have to do now to see my CD-ROM with
>all the above enabled as modules?
>Thanks in advance :)

To be accessible by the SCSI device driver, the CD-Rom (CD Writer)
MUST NOT BE under the control of the IDE device driver.
So, remove the IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM Support, and leave only
the SCSI support.

Of course, this way you have to check also that /dev/cdrom is
a link to /dev/scd? (substitute ? with the correct number).

See also the CD-Writing-HOWTO that is very clear about (the
new version, not that is shipped with RH, see on www.linux.org).

Davide

Post by mlw » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi, everyone!
> I have Red Hat 6.0 with 2.2.12 kernel
> I also have a CD-ROM (ATAPI) and I want to use it with
> SCSI emulation (because I'll buy a CD-R (also ATAPI) and
> I want to check out SCSI emulation earlier)
> During the kernel compilation, I disabled
> "IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM support" and enabled as modules
> "SCSI emulation", "SCSI support", "SCSI CD-ROM support" and
> "SCSI generic support".
> The problem is that the "ide-scsi" module (from SCSI emulation) is not
> loaded when I access my CD-ROM.
> The only way I could see my CD-ROM with SCSI emulation is if I
> enable all the above directly in the kernel (not as modules).
> Can anyone tell me what I have to do now to see my CD-ROM with
> all the above enabled as modules?
> Thanks in advance :)

I'm not sure about the RedHat 6.0 with the 2.2.12 kernel, currently I am
using RH 6.2 with 2.2.16-3.

Create a file, if it does not already exist, /etc/rc.d/rc.modules.

chmod uga+x rc.modules

in that file, add this line:

/sbin/modprobe ide-scsi

Now, in your /dev directory, make sure "cdrom" is not linked to hdx
(hda, hdb, etc.) and link it to scd0.

The rc.modules file loads the scsi emulation driver early in the boot
process and this seems to circumvent whatever *RedHat does between
this stage and the login prompt which always seems to load the IDE cdrom
driver. The init scripts and kudzo are so convoluted, I just don't have
the patience to walk through it.

--
Mohawk Software
Windows 9x, Windows NT, UNIX, Linux. Applications, drivers, support.

1. SCSI emulation for atapi devices

Hi All,

I have a question perhaps someone here can answer; I haven't found an
answer in any docs.

I've got an ATAPI CD-RW drive, and I am using cdrecord to burn CD's. In order
for this to work, I must disable atapi cd-rom support and enable the scsi
host adapter emulation, generic scsi support, and scsi cdrom support.

Now, this is all well and good, and it works, I can successfully write CD's,
but I can not mount CD's. To mount a CD, I either have to recompile the kernel
or rmmod all the scsi stuff and insmod the atapi cdrom support.

Is there a way, with scsi emulation and related modules installed, to mount
an atapi cdrom as a scsi cdrom? When I try mounting /dev/cdrom (kernel says
it detected a cdrom) or /dev/sda I get a message about an unsupported
command getting sent to hdc (where the cdrom actually lives).

Is there another way to mount the cd while the scsi support is present? I'm
just looking to be able to burn a CD and mount one on the same kernel
configuration.

Any ideas?
Thanks

2. hw.ata.tags crashing system

3. ide-scsi emulation for ATAPI cd writing problem

4. RPM Packages

5. Does the HP7200i ATAPI CD Writer need SCSI emulation

6. Video Display memory problem

7. SCSI Emulation with ATAPI Zip drive?

8. First profile

9. ATAPI 250MB ZIP and IDE-SCSI Emulation HELP!

10. Need help with SCSI-ATAPI CD emulation

11. ATAPI/SCSI emulation for CD/CDR/CDRW questions

12. ATAPI CD-RW w/ SCSI Emulation Question

13. Linux kernel 2.0.34 and ATAPI-SCSI emulation.