1. Help Bootquestion Linux Redhat 5.0 with Dos 6.2/Win 3.11/Win95 .
You just may call me Manuel, you know him, that guy from Barcelona In
Fawlty Towers. His famous words are mine right now : QEU? I KNOW
NOTHING! Linux is complete new to me. Ahum newsgroups also...sorry
(like a virgin, i've got a modem for 2 tiny months now..).So if my
message is full of mistakes excuze moi.
Here's my problem:
I bought myself Redhat Linux 5.0 with Installation Guide of course.
This i want to install on my Pentium 120 Mhz Computer. (32 MB RAM).
I've got 1 Generic IDE Disk, 2.1 GB.
It has a C: and a D: partion , E: is CD-rom.
On C: i've installed Dos 6.2/Win 3.11 and Win95.
In msdos.sys of Win95 i made access to a boot-option Dos6.2/Win3.11 or
Win95. No problem.
On D: i've got nothing. Here i want to install Linux.
Well i've read the first chapters of the Installation Guide, lots
makes sense (i think..), but Installing Lilo puzzels/frightens me. I
can't risk losing boot-option to Dos6.2/Win3.11/Win95!
Where must i install Lilo ;
1. The Master Boot Record on C: ? Lilo takes over the boot-option i
If so, can i automatically boot -when Lilo starts- to Dos6.2/Win 3.11
or Win95 or Linux. Or must i configure Lilo. How is this done? Like i
said Linux is complete new to me.
2. I prefer number 1 if it's possible. But gives the Redhat
installation program the opportunity to install Lilo on a floppy ? My
MBR stays the same, my access to Dos6.2/Win311/Win95 stays intact and
if i want Linux just use the floppy. Is this right?
3. Can Lilo be installed to D:? But my BIOS gives no access to D: Not
possible i think, correct me if i'm wrong.
4. Or must I use another Bootmanager? If so can you recommend me one.
Number 1 is my favorite, so a answer on that i would appreciate. If
you have the time to answer my other questions, great!
By the way, i've spent several ours on Linux-newsgroups to find a
answer to my questions. I've found some links but my knowledge is to
little and my fear to big.
WILLEM HOLTHUIS, 2-3-'98
2. SuSE 6.4 freezing
3. Linux, DOS, WFW 3.11, OS/2, NT, Win95 on one system ?
4. nec aspi scsi host adapter drivers wanted for linux
5. elf executable & stack allocation in virtual memory?
6. Sharing printer between Linux computer and Win 3.11 or Win95 computer?
7. PostgreSQL question
8. Help!!! upgrading to WIN95 from windows 3.11 + Linux
9. Windows 3.11/ RH 5.1 Linux, one big HD, 486 BIOS limitations, fix please?
10. Suggestions: Pentium momboards for Linux/Dos/WFW 3.11?
11. Momboard recommendations: Pentium for Linux/Dos/WFW 3.11?
12. Installing Mandrake Linux on a Pentium 100 w/DOS 6.22 and Win 3.11