Dual Booting, with Win 98SE

Post by Ryan » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 03:30:08

   Now i'm sure many n00bs have asked about this, but my searching on the
internet has shed little light on it.  Now i have a 20 Gb drive, PIII 733,
128 Ram...and one active drive.  How would one go about placing mandrake 8
on the system.  I've heard about editing the linux.conf file in lilo. But
what about the 1024 cylinder for lilo? Isn't my windoze taking up that 0-
1024 section?

Any answers would be well appreciated.

Thanx,
Ryan

Dual Booting, with Win 98SE

Post by S1100100 » Fri, 20 Jul 2001 04:53:50

1. it's the /etc/lilo.conf file, not linux.conf . If a file were called
linux.conf, it would be too large.
2. You need a free partition. You can use FIPS to split a defragged dos
partition, or you can use Partition Magic to resize Win and add an ext2
partition.
3. you're right about the 1024 cyl. My suggestion is to do this: go into
msconfig, click advanced, checkbox enable startup menu. Follow the
instructions for installing loadlin, except for editing autoexec.bat and
changing msdos.sys. When you want Linux, just choose 6 in the startup menu,
and type c:\linux\linux.bat to start linux. if you want, you can do this:

cd linux
linux

then press Ctrl-Z, and enter. Then all you have to do is type lin.

Quote:

>    Now i'm sure many n00bs have asked about this, but my searching on the
> internet has shed little light on it.  Now i have a 20 Gb drive, PIII 733,
> 128 Ram...and one active drive.  How would one go about placing mandrake 8
> on the system.  I've heard about editing the linux.conf file in lilo. But
> what about the 1024 cylinder for lilo? Isn't my windoze taking up that 0-
> 1024 section?

> Any answers would be well appreciated.

> Thanx,
> Ryan

> --

1. Internet Sharing Dual boot MDK 7.2 and 98SE Machine

What I would like to accomplish is setting up my dual boot machine with MDK
7.2 and 98SE to share the internet with 2 other 98SE machines. I want the
client systems to be configured so that no configuration will be needed to
access the intenet through either of my OS's, other than the initial setup.

Other than knowing that my dual boot machine will have to nics and need
some type of compatible NAT or sharing program installed. I was wondering
if anyone has done this and what they recommended. Basically I want the
internet to be available to either of the client systems whether I happen
to be using MDK 7.2 or 98SE, I don't want to have to reconfigure the
clients when I change OS's.

Thank You,

Peter

2. CAn I get libg++.a in a.out format?

3. Using LILO to dual-boot Win ME and Win 3.1, NO Linux installed?

4. How do I get my current window's id, w/o using the mouse?

5. Installing Linux on a Win ME + Win 2K dual booting system

6. AIX B3 TCP in Solaris???

7. LILO vanished on win/lin dual-boot, boot disk gives kernel panic

8. Apache & Frontpage 98

9. Dual-boot laptop won't boot either (long)

10. Lilo dual boot setup problem; booting win from hdg

11. SOLUTION: lilo awol on win/lin dual-boot, boot disk gives kernel panic

12. From Linux BACK to Win 98SE