Cannot Read From/Recognize IDE CD-Rom for Setup; Jumper Settings?

Cannot Read From/Recognize IDE CD-Rom for Setup; Jumper Settings?

Post by Michael Walla » Fri, 22 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to install Linux (Slackware 2.2) from the CD's. However, my
CD-Rom is not being recognized following boot. CD-Rom is IDE type Toshiba
XM5302B. I've tried:

at boot: ramdisk hdc=cdrom

boot messages I am getting:
ide0: primary on IRQ14
ide1: primary on IRQ15
cdrom = <no response>

Additionally, following boot /dev/cdrom is being linked to the SCSI device file.

I've read the CD-Rom HowTo and the README.ide. The only thing I haven't tried
so far is determining if the CD-Rom is jumpered as the slave and needs to be
changed to the master jumper setting. How exactly do I check this and how can
I change it if it is incorrectly jumpered?

Mike

Cannot Read From/Recognize IDE CD-Rom for Setup; Jumper Settings?

Post by Michael » Fri, 22 Mar 1996 04:00:00

I used to think cdrom=/dev/hdc is a valid command.. Ha..I am wrong..Ha..My
memeory is bad....

The jumper will tell you MASTER/SLAVE.  My friend's ATAPI CDROM mark
which jumper is for SLAVE, which is for MASTER.  Of course, you have to
make sure you connect the cdrom to secondary IDE port if you intend to
use hdc.

Michael Wallach

--
Michael
--

------------------------------------
My few wishes this month:

Cannot Read From/Recognize IDE CD-Rom for Setup; Jumper Settings?

Post by Jacob Walt » Sun, 24 Mar 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> so far is determining if the CD-Rom is jumpered as the slave and needs to be
> changed to the master jumper setting. How exactly do I check this and how can
> I change it if it is incorrectly jumpered?

gee, you could check your manual!  if it's by itself on ide1, set it to master.
if it's not, set it to slave.

--

Post by Neil Soveran-Charl » Mon, 25 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>I used to think cdrom=/dev/hdc is a valid command.. Ha..I am wrong..Ha..My
>memeory is bad....

  Close, its hdc=cdrom (although I have hdd=cdrom seeing as I haven't
gotten around to correcting my MASTER/SLAVE jumper *8-P). This on Kernel
1.2.13, booting using loadlin btw.

>Michael Wallach

>: I've read the CD-Rom HowTo and the README.ide. The only thing I haven't tried
>: so far is determining if the CD-Rom is jumpered as the slave and needs to be
>: changed to the master jumper setting. How exactly do I check this and how can
>: I change it if it is incorrectly jumpered?

   On my machine I presume I have the IDE CDROM jumpered as Slave, that
or something else makes it pop up on hdd rather than hdc. If its the
only device on the controller it may not matter...

-Neil
* Neil Soveran-Charley, System Administrator, Mersinet Internet Services *

Post by Ralph Bet » Wed, 27 Mar 1996 04:00:00

: > so far is determining if the CD-Rom is jumpered as the slave and needs to be
: > changed to the master jumper setting. How exactly do I check this and how can
: > I change it if it is incorrectly jumpered?

: gee, you could check your manual!  if it's by itself on ide1, set it to master.
: if it's not, set it to slave.

Gee, you could try to be helpful instead of being such an a*****e.

It may well be that it won't work under win95 if it's jumpered as master.
It would be helpful to say how to get it to work in that environment with
the changed jumper. I wish I knew.

Supposedly, the restriction you refer to has been removed in 1.3.*
kernels. It should be possible to ftp a kernel that would work, copy it
over to the boot floppy you made, and boot and go. I am looking into
doing this. Not sure how yet.

Another alternative would be to get a small cheap used HD and stick it in
on ide1 as master. Probably have to buy a new IDE cable as well, because
the one that came with the cdrom and the ide1 card only has one
connecter. I might consider doing this if I were sure it would work; can
always use more disk, eh?

In my case, I have no hdb; perhaps it would work if I put the cdrom on
ide0; the IDE cable is rather short and looks like it won't reach. Again,
if I were sure it would work, I would consider this even though you get
less throughput with both on the same IDE.

I have found four things that might work, as above. The second way (new
kernel) would be best, as it involves neither spending money nor opening
the case of the machine (which I have grown to hate doing).

The best reference for this question turned out to be the Linux
Documentation Project, Search (
http://amelia.db.erau.edu/Harvest/brokers/LDP/query.html ),
search for atapi, and there it all is -- instant expertise.

--
Ralph "How can I be an expert when I didn't get it to work yet?" Betza (FM)

Post by cmor.. » Thu, 28 Mar 1996 04:00:00

>> so far is determining if the CD-Rom is jumpered as the slave and needs to be
>> changed to the master jumper setting. How exactly do I check this and how can
>> I change it if it is incorrectly jumpered?
>gee, you could check your manual!  if it's by itself on ide1, set it to master.
>if it's not, set it to slave.
>--

If you take the jumper completely off, it will GENERALLY be recognized
as a master just based on the fact that there is nothing else on that
controller. Are you sure you are using the right boot disk? If you are
using idecd and still get no results, try aztech which supports some
atapi models.

1. IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM and Que/CD-ROM setup

Okay, I have been out of this group for some time, and now am
getting setup as a ISP (Internet Service Provider).  I was going to
use Windows/NT but decided that linux offered just a much with very
little start-up cost, as far as server software goes.
I was wondering if someone could spend a couple of minutes to save
me some time.  I read the CD-ROM howto, and am somewhat perplexed
on getting my "Que" Special Editon-Using Linux CD-ROM to be
accepted for installation.  I used the "fips" to make a partition
(250meg) just for the swap/native part of linxu.  But can't get the
setup utility to recognize my cd-rom, it's a "ACER"
Quad/600kb/250ms and uses the IDE/ATAPI interface (connects to the
motherboard, not the Sound-Card).  Is there some way to install off
of the cd-rom or am I going to be forced to do it with floppies?
Thanks for any info.
I'll scan this group for a reply, or if you want, send info on
e-mail.

--

   A man with one watch knows what time it is. A man with two is never sure.

2. linux server on ethernet w/win95s

3. Need jumper settings for toshiba xm-3101bme cd-rom.

4. Can someone explain this problem using date???

5. Upgrading to SCSI CD-ROM from IDE CD-ROM

6. lilo booting dos?

7. NEC CDR-260 CD-ROM (Gateway IDE CD-ROM)

8. Video Player software

9. Help: Setting up Linux from QUE Slackware CD with IDE CD-ROM

10. Problems with IDE CD-ROM - not recognised at boot time

11. Mitsumi IDE ATAPI CD-ROM not recognized

12. LINUX won't recognize IDE REVEAL 4X CD-ROM

13. RH 3.0.3 doesn't recognize Pioneer IDE CD-ROM