Netscape don't show up on KDE???

Post by Cag » Sun, 01 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I have Linux S.u.S.E 5.3. When I install Netscape, it did not appear on
my desktop. How do I locate it up and add to the menu? The only time I
see Netscape when I log onto another Windows Manager.

Netscape don't show up on KDE???

Post by George Maren » Mon, 02 Nov 1998 04:00:00

>I have Linux S.u.S.E 5.3. When I install Netscape, it did not appear on
>my desktop. How do I locate it up and add to the menu? The only time I
>see Netscape when I log onto another Windows Manager.

If you're using KDE, right click on the desktop. Select New, Program.

Select O.K. (yes, I know the link's not right)

Now right click on the newly created icon.

Select the Permissions tab and make sure the execute permission
is selected.

Go to the Execute tab and Browse to the program.

It should be in /opt/netscape

1. KDE menu showing entries that don't seem to exist

Just in case anyone ever experiences this like I did here's how to
solve the problem (there was a thread somewhere about something
similar but I didn't find it again).

May happen with: KDE version 2.2.2 (all 2.x probably).

Symptoms: The K menu shows entries that don't seem to exist anywhere -
you can search your whole hard disk but don't find anything. However,
the Menu Editor does show what you really have (in
~/.kde2/share/applnk/).

Background: In ~/.kde2/share/ you might have a symlink to
/tmp/kde-{computer name}. Somehow the content of this directory may
influence what the K menu shows (and BTW also the MIME / file
associations). In my case I think all this happened because I once
started kicker as root while being logged into KDE as another user.
Anyway, this is just what I assume.

Solution: Move or delete the content of the directory mentioned above.
Then restart kicker or log out and back into KDE. This should fix it.

Good luck!

BTW, if *some KDE developer* reads this: I think it to be very
user-unfriendly not to show kicker at all if any problem (while
processing its conf consisting of all these depending files) occurs.
kicker is the base for operating in KDE and thus it should provide
basic functionality (K menu with minimal options) no matter what
happens. If it were only for conf hackers being able to make kicker
not running any more I wouldn't state this but the truth is that this
can also happen if some extention (applet) oder "mini program"
embedded in kicker crashes its own conf, e.g. xmms-kde (I think it
happened to me once when I tried to change themes). Finding out what
went wrong is almost impossible for someone who isn't too familiar
with Linux (e.g. opening a console window and starting kicker from
there in order to be able to read the error messages...) - and I think
there are quite a lot who just use it to do word processing etc. and
let others do the administration stuff...

2. ipnat's rdr

3. Java applets don't show up in Netscape.

4. DNS Problem with RedHat 6.1

5. Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles!

6. dup2

7. Netscape fonts don't resize under KDE

8. Strange problem about file system usage

9. debug dialup login & why don't ISP's show engaged ?

10. installed window managers don't show up in login screen

11. x don't show up at start-up

12. ifconfig and RH7.2 graphic net configuration tool don't show same IP config !!!

13. new screensavers don't show up in control center