"No rule to make target" error?

Post by Bab A. Adach » Thu, 03 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi,

I have had problems installing RedHat4.0 into SCSI ZIP drive
for couple of weeks, but finally loadlin did the job. Thanks to you all.

Now, I am trying to configure a PPP connection with my ISP, and my book
tells me that I have to re-configure the kernel in order to support a PPP
connection. But the error below was what I have encountered when I typed in

"make config" at the prompt.

"*** No rule to make target `config` . Stop."

There is not a clue for me to get around this message. Does anyone
know what this is all about? I have logged in as "root" to do this.

Thanks for your continuing assistance.

--
Bab A. Adachi

"No rule to make target" error?

Post by Daniel Jame » Thu, 03 Apr 1997 04:00:00

> Hi,

> I have had problems installing RedHat4.0 into SCSI ZIP drive
> for couple of weeks, but finally loadlin did the job. Thanks to you all.

> Now, I am trying to configure a PPP connection with my ISP, and my book
> tells me that I have to re-configure the kernel in order to support a PPP
> connection. But the error below was what I have encountered when I typed in

> "make config" at the prompt.

> "*** No rule to make target `config` . Stop."

> There is not a clue for me to get around this message. Does anyone
> know what this is all about? I have logged in as "root" to do this.

> Thanks for your continuing assistance.

> --
> Bab A. Adachi

Stating the obvious, are you sure you were in the /usr/src/linux
directory?

--
Daniel James
A Totally Dis-Organized Linux/Unix/Freedom Bigot

"No rule to make target" error?

Post by James Youngm » Fri, 04 Apr 1997 04:00:00

says...

Quote:

>Hi,

>I have had problems installing RedHat4.0 into SCSI ZIP drive
>for couple of weeks, but finally loadlin did the job. Thanks to you all.

>Now, I am trying to configure a PPP connection with my ISP, and my book
>tells me that I have to re-configure the kernel in order to support a PPP
>connection. But the error below was what I have encountered when I typed in

>"make config" at the prompt.

>"*** No rule to make target `config` . Stop."

Make sure you have the kernel-sources package installed.

--
James Youngman       VG Gas Analysis Systems  The trouble with the rat-race
Before sending advertising material, read     is, even if you win, you're

"No rule to make target" error?

Post by Frederic » Sun, 06 Apr 1997 04:00:00

You're probably trying to run 'make config' from a wrong directory. You
must be
(at least it works with me) at /usr/src/linux in order to run it properly.

Frederico D. Bortoloti

"No rule to make target" error?

Post by Bab A. Adach » Mon, 07 Apr 1997 05:00:00

Quote:> Hi,

> I have had problems installing RedHat4.0 into SCSI ZIP drive
> for couple of weeks, but finally loadlin did the job. Thanks to you all.

> Now, I am trying to configure a PPP connection with my ISP, and my book
> tells me that I have to re-configure the kernel in order to support a PPP
> connection. But the error below was what I have encountered when I typed
in

> "make config" at the prompt.

> "*** No rule to make target `config` . Stop."

> There is not a clue for me to get around this message. Does anyone
> know what this is all about? I have logged in as "root" to do this.

> Thanks for your continuing assistance.

Above is the article which I have previously posted on this group.
Thanks to everyone who has given me a word on this.

Many of the advices I received emphasized that I need to be
under /usr/src/linux directory in order to execute "make config".
And yes, I did what I was told to do, but I am still stuck in the same
place. I get the same error of  "*** No rule to make target `config` .
Stop.".

I am not sure if this can help but, listed below is what I have under
/usr/src

 linux
 liunx-2.0.18
 redhat

And below is what I have under /usr/src/linux

 include

Do I need to pick a specific optional set during installation?
I am working on RedHat4.0 and ofcourse, I am logging in as "root".

Thanks in advance

"No rule to make target" error?

Post by Daniel Jame » Mon, 07 Apr 1997 05:00:00

> Many of the advices I received emphasized that I need to be
> under /usr/src/linux directory in order to execute "make config".
> And yes, I did what I was told to do, but I am still stuck in the same
> place. I get the same error of  "*** No rule to make target `config` .
> Stop.".

> I am not sure if this can help but, listed below is what I have under
> /usr/src

>  linux
>  liunx-2.0.18
>  redhat

> And below is what I have under /usr/src/linux

>  include

> Do I need to pick a specific optional set during installation?
> I am working on RedHat4.0 and ofcourse, I am logging in as "root".

> Thanks in advance

linux should be a symbolic link to linux-2.0.18.  Don't know how
you got "include" under linux.  This is how mine looks:

lrwxrwxrwx       1 root root      12 Mar 26 05:36 linux -> linux-2.0.29
drwxr-xr-x      15 root root    1024 Mar 26 05:58 linux-2.0.29
drwxr-xr-x       7 root root    1024 Mar 15 09:00 redhat

Most likely you'll want to delete linux (if it is a symbolic link)
and reset it to point to linux-2.0.18.  This is accomplished by doing:

ln -s linux-2.0.18 linux
--
Daniel James
A Totally Dis-Organized Linux/Unix/Freedom Bigot
      <This line intentionally left blank>

"No rule to make target" error?

Post by Jürgen Exne » Tue, 08 Apr 1997 04:00:00

[...]

Quote:> place. I get the same error of  "*** No rule to make target `config` .
> Stop.".

> I am not sure if this can help but, listed below is what I have under
> /usr/src

>  linux
>  liunx-2.0.18
>  redhat

> And below is what I have under /usr/src/linux

>  include

> Do I need to pick a specific optional set during installation?
> I am working on RedHat4.0 and ofcourse, I am logging in as "root".

If you don't have Makefile or makefile, than you will have problem to
execute make.

First of all you may want to install the kernel sources before trying to
compile them..

--
jue

--
Juergen Exner; v-jurgex AT microsoft.com;
Microsoft Corp., One Microsoft Way, Redmond, WA 98052

"No rule to make target" error?

Post by ARNZ » Wed, 16 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> >"make config" at the prompt.

> >"*** No rule to make target `config` . Stop."

> Make sure you have the kernel-sources package installed.

You must turn to director of your kernel-sources,that must be
something as"src".

1. Need help with "No rule to make target" comple error.

I've posted this to the networking news group a day ago and no one there
will offer any help so I'm cross posting (I know, I shouldn't but I
really need some help) to this group in hopes that someone can offer a
suggestion to fix my problem.

I tried to compile linux-wlan-ng using "make all" but it complains:

make[2]: *** No rule to make target `/usr/src/linux/.config', needed by
`.depend

Does anyone know what this is and how to get around it?

Thanks all.
Dave

2. help with redhat

3. "no rule to make target" error when building J2ME CDC under linux

4. linux newbie....

6. Q: status of various Linux aspects

8. Linux Glide on FreeBSD

9. Make command returns: "No rule to make target 'Foobar'"

10. make & "Too many rules defined for target reflib"

11. Problems Compiling Kernel 2.2.14: "No rule to make target"

12. Combining NATD with IPFW's "keep-state" and "check-state" rules

13. make - "No rule for making..."