Sorry, Modem is busy

Post by Ami » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:55:10

Hi there:

Sorry for mailing you without prior introduction. I am a linux
beginner.
I tried to set up dial-up connection using Linux.. But couldn;t get
the modem working. I am constantly getting a 'sorry, modem is busy'
message when tried to dial a number using KPPP.

From google groups I understoof that you have encountered the same
problem, so thought of mailing you. Any suggesion is really
appreciated.

I am using:

Dual bootable system, with WinXP and Redhat Linux 8.0
Modem: US robotics 56K fax host Int. (so I don;t think its a win
modem)
On windows it automatically got configured at COM4 port.

I tried to connect it at ttyS3 port on Linux.
I tried to remove 'lock' option from 'etc/ppp/options'
I tried deselecting 'lock' chkbox of KPPP

 ----- as suggested on google groups..but didn;t work..

The setserial -g /dev/ttyS3 command Shows o/p IRQ 3

Please let me know what should I do to have it working..

Thanks in advance.
Amit

Sorry, Modem is busy

Post by Pat » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 16:36:50

Hello,

> I tried to set up dial-up connection using Linux.. But couldn;t get
> the modem working. I am constantly getting a 'sorry, modem is busy'
> message when tried to dial a number using KPPP.

I don't know what the problem is but start with the basics - can you actually talk to your modem on
ttyS3?  Is that the correct device and is it responding all right?

You can use minicom to interact with your modem directly, giving it "AT commands" and seing how it
responds.  If everything seems ok through minicom, then you have a lockfile or a kppp problem - the
only thing I could suggest is to check if another program is trying to use it or if you have some
stale lock files in /var/lock...

Check the minicom man page or the "interacting with your modem" instructions on
http://www.vocpsystem.com/vgetty_modems.php

HTH

Regards,
--
Pat Deegan,
Registered Linux User #128131

1. Need Help w/ Modem--"Sorry modem is busy" error

First off----I DONT HAVE A WINMODEM.....(just wanted to get that out of the
way first)....its a internal ISA USRobotics 56k Voice V.90 .....

Dual boot system, with Win98 and Redhat 6.0, modem is on Com2 ( I think
TTYS1.....right??)

So, I'm trying to setup PPP, I think I've got it all setup correctly(w/ all
my ISP's info ) , Currently I'm logged in as ROOT and trying to dial out.
PPPD trys to dial but gives me the following error...

"Sorry, the modem is busy"    retry/cancel

Not sure where to go from here, I've read alot of documentation (about three
hours worth), I dont think its a permissions problem since I'm logged in as
ROOT.

Secondly, I've created a user account in my name, and gave it the
permissions I want, but when I log in under that account, and try to dial
out, I get an error like
"you need to remove the lock option"..blah blah blah......(makes me think I
dont have permissions to some folder I need ....)

So then I thought...I'll create a "dial-out" group, and add my user account
into it,...but after I add myself in  and go back and check, my membership
has dissapeared.....What gives..???

I would think its a bad idea to dial-out logged in as ROOT, so I would like
a clean option that entails me logging in as my user account and being able
to dial out....

THANKS......jason

2. new kernel won't boot: Wrong loader, giving up

3. problem seting up modem SupraExpress 56iPro: "Sorry, the modem is busy"

4. GRE Keys

5. PCMCIA modem: "Sorry, the modem is busy."

6. GDBM_REPLACE

7. Sorry, I am too busy for the FAQ.

8. Lex & Yacc with C++

9. Sorry, modem busy message at KPP

10. sorry, the modem is busy???

11. kppp problem - "Sorry, the modem is busy"

12. "Sorry, the modem is busy"

13. Sorry, Modem is busy