Mwave modem and IBM Aptiva

Post by Ajit Pre » Sat, 13 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I'm unable to get Linux to talk to my Mwave 28.8K modem.

I have tried Slackware Linux 1.2.8 and 1.3.85 (to get around some
"Unknown PCI device..." messages on the boot of a 1.2.8 kernel).

I've tried booting from a floppy and via Loadlin (hoping that DOS would
have initialized the modem correctly). MINICOM does not get report any
acknowledgement from the modem. I think I have set up Linux correctly as
I can very easily establish PPP connections with my old external 2400
bps modem connected to either of my two external serial ports (/dev/cua1
and /dev/cua2). I can even run a remote X application at this miserable
connection rate.

The IRQ/Address/UART(16550A) for /dev/cua0 (where my internal Mwave
modem is connected) are all correctly recognized by Linux on every boot.

My machine is an IBM Aptiva with Windows 95 and Linux in separate
partitions.

Any info on anything that I can try to get the Mwave modem working under
Linux would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ajit Prem

Mwave modem and IBM Aptiva

Post by William Ba » Tue, 16 Apr 1996 04:00:00

: I'm unable to get Linux to talk to my Mwave 28.8K modem.

me too! (Aptiva M61 w/mwave modem)...

: I have tried Slackware Linux 1.2.8 and 1.3.85 (to get around some
: "Unknown PCI device..." messages on the boot of a 1.2.8 kernel).

me too! (and i haven't email my /proc files, so i'm part of the problem)

: I've tried booting from a floppy and via Loadlin (hoping that DOS would
: have initialized the modem correctly). MINICOM does not get report any
: acknowledgement from the modem. I think I have set up Linux correctly as

i use Loadlin to get the SB emulation, but even using FASTCFG in DOS
(ackpht!), i can't get the modem to work... (don't expect any help from
IBM -- Linux? wutz that? you can use OS/2!)...

: I can very easily establish PPP connections with my old external 2400
: bps modem connected to either of my two external serial ports (/dev/cua1
: and /dev/cua2). I can even run a remote X application at this miserable
: connection rate.

: The IRQ/Address/UART(16550A) for /dev/cua0 (where my internal Mwave
: modem is connected) are all correctly recognized by Linux on every boot.

my solution was a $49 internal modem jumpered for COM4... kinda funny,
huh? WIN95 won't see the internal modem on COM4, and Linux won't see the
internal modem on COM1 !!!!!

: My machine is an IBM Aptiva with Windows 95 and Linux in separate
: partitions.

same here... btw, don't forget to use XFree86's 3.12D for a working 8bpp
server for X!

: Any info on anything that I can try to get the Mwave modem working under
: Linux would be greatly appreciated.

this is why i like jumpered configurations for hardware... apparently, we
Aptiva users are going to have to figure out how to properly set the card
up under DOS before booting to Linux...

: Thanks,

hope this helps...

: Ajit Prem