linux on toshiba tecra 8000

Post by ra.. » Sat, 24 Jul 1999 04:00:00

Hi, all,

I have installed Redhat 6.0 on my laptop, tecra 8000. Most components
are fine. I do seem to have one major problem -- not able to communicate
using either the modem that is built in or through any PCMCIA
network card (I have tried three different ones: Xircom, 3com and
D-Link DFE 10/100, another borrowed one that is purely 10Mbps one).
No luck :-(

Modem I heard is a winmodem -- so I have not even made any efforts to
get it to work.

More seriously, I seem to have a problem with PCMCIA altogether!

Any one aware of the situation with PCMCIA and tecra let me know what
the prognosis is? Gleaning from the info on the web, because of ToPic97
or some such problem, this appears to be a dead end? (I hope people in
the market for a new laptop are reading my post!)

Am I right in my conclusions?

Ramki Thurimella

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

linux on toshiba tecra 8000

Post by Hugh Spark » Thu, 05 Aug 1999 04:00:00

> ...I seem to have a problem with PCMCIA altogether!
> Any one aware of the situation with PCMCIA and tecra let me know what
> the prognosis is?

PCMCIA works fine for me on the Tecra.
I'm using a 3COM Ethernet & Megahertz 56k modem.
I did need one small bit of magic: Your /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia
file should contain::

        PCMCIA=YES
        PCIC=i82365
        PCIC_OPTS="poll_interval=100"
        CORE_OPTS=

I have seen other suggestions posted and I have tried them
all, but this is what I needed to get it working. It seems
that the card controller cannot get an interrupt for insert/
remove events so you have to use polling instead.

Good luck,

1. setting up linux on toshiba tecra 8000

I am trying to setup linux(got it from linux-
mandrake.com) on my tecra 8000. I had NT on the
laptop. I installed linux on different partition
but I have two problems.

1. when it boots up, the system hangs at
LI...If I try to boot from the disk(during linux
intallation,I made boot disk also), it comes up
fine.

2. Also the windows running on linux seems to
repaint very slowly... It appears as if you are
using X-windows on a dialup.

Thanks in advance,
anindya

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. Gnome/KDE speed. Opinions wanted

3. Linux on Laptop "Toshiba Tecra 8000"

4. Trigger on file change

5. Linux on a Toshiba Tecra 8000?

6. Changing X mouse pointer color

7. Install Linux on Toshiba TECRA 8000

8. The Linux Device list is alive!

9. Redhat 5.0 on Toshiba Tecra 8000

10. Toshiba Tecra 8000 laptop

11. Solaris 7/Toshiba Tecra 8000/DVD/Install Failed

12. Help with Toshiba Tecra 8000 and 3c574

13. FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE on a Toshiba Tecra 8000