Gnome Panel Applets

Post by Steve Gag » Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Is anyone else finding that Gnome applets added to the panel disappear
between sessions? I can't get the clock or panel-mixer to "stick". Gnome
v. 0.30. Is there a trick? How are people invoking Gnome in their
.xinitrc?

- Steve

Gnome Panel Applets

Post by David Z. Maz » Mon, 28 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Steve> Is anyone else finding that Gnome applets added to the panel
Steve> disappear between sessions? I can't get the clock or
Steve> panel-mixer to "stick". Gnome v. 0.30. Is there a trick? How
Steve> are people invoking Gnome in their .xinitrc?

It seems like the panel is saving state to
$HOME/.gnome/panel.d/(big-*-hex-string)/.  On startup, it reads
state from $HOME/.gnome/panel.d/default/.  There doesn't seem to be a
connection between the two, though, which has a couple of problems:
(1) those (big-*-hex-string) directories back up, and (2) state
doesn't ever actually get restored.  This is almost definitely a bug
in GNOME.

Personally, I burned the panel.d directory, restarted the panel, set
up everything the way I liked it, and then symlinked default to the
(single) (big-*-hex-string) directory.  It's a hack, but it
works.  <shrug>

--
 _____________________________
/                             \       "Dad was reading a book called
|          David Maze         |     _Schroedinger's Kittens_.  A*

| http://www.veryComputer.com/|               -- Abra Mitchell
\_____________________________/

Gnome Panel Applets

Post by Matthias Wark » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Steve Gage schrieb:

Quote:

> Is anyone else finding that Gnome applets added to the panel disappear
> between sessions? I can't get the clock or panel-mixer to "stick". Gnome
> v. 0.30. Is there a trick? How are people invoking Gnome in their
> .xinitrc?

You might find it useful to use Gnome session management.
Start gnome like this in your .xinitrc:

icewm &            # example WM
panel &
exec gnome-session

This is supposed to work, although I found out that it doesn't work with 0.27. I
had to swap the last two entries and run the panel as the magic process.
Everything worked fine, then, except that I never shut down a single Gnome
session - they all crashed on me. Perhaps that's the secret.

mawa
--

My site was cracked by some * idiots this summer. It will go up
on another server soon. 'mawaspace' on Angelfire is not mine anymore.

Gnome Panel Applets

Post by David Z. Maz » Tue, 29 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Not a Linux installation question; followups set to comp.os.linux.misc.

MW> You might find it useful to use Gnome session management.
MW> Start gnome like this in your .xinitrc:
MW>
MW> icewm &            # example WM
MW> panel &
MW> exec gnome-session

Unless you change the setup using the "Session manager properties"
applet, gnome-session by default tries to start both icewm and panel.
Both of these lines can be safely taken out of your .xinitrc (or
.xsession).

--
 _____________________________
/                             \       "Dad was reading a book called
|          David Maze         |     _Schroedinger's Kittens_.  A*

| http://www.veryComputer.com/|               -- Abra Mitchell
\_____________________________/

1. gnome panel/applet crashes render desktop unusable!

Greetings all,

I'm having a big problem with the panel in gnome. I'm running Red Hat
8.0  with the default gnome installation on a Dell inspiron 8200
laptop. I had configured my main panel with the battery indicator
applet. I was using a mouse with the computer and then I removed it
the next time I booted the machine. When kudzu came up, I accidently
configured the mouse with the wrong drivers. When I logged into gnome,
the built-in mouse/touchpad spazzed out and started moving all of my
icons and panels around the desktop. I couldn't get control of the
mouse, and ended up killing the gnome session manually.

I got my mouse reconfigured properly, but now whenever I login into
gnome, one of the relocated panels appears and immediately and the
battery indicator applet crashes. A message box pops up which says:

Application "gnome-panel" (process 2280) has crashed
due to a fatal error.
(Aborted)

and gives an "OK" button. When I press "OK," the applet crashes again
and the same message appears and the process repeats itself endlessly.
I can get a terminal up, and I tried killing gnome processes, but this
did nothing. Gnome is pretty much useless at this point. How can I get
my gnome back??

Where does gnome save user's desktop configurations? I moved all of
the .gnome* directories out of the way and then logged into the
desktop thinking maybe the config files saying "load the battery
applet on this panel" might be lost and I could regain control of
gnome, but no such luck.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to all who reply.

Chris

2. Bug list of Solaris

3. Tooltip trouble in bubbling GNOME panel applet

4. Q: How do I get from the latest stable kernel version to the late st prepatch version ?

5. gnome panel applet menus and drag and drop

6. Linux installation problems. Wheee-doggy.

7. Gnome panel applet question on callbacks

8. pppd non-root access

9. Problem writing Gnome panel applet

10. gnome panel loses applets

11. gnome and panel applets

12. GNOME Panel: workspace applet gone; how to get back?

13. RH8 Gnome panel modem applet