Where should I plug in my CDROM?

Post by Brian Rus » Tue, 05 Nov 1996 04:00:00

I want to install Linux and DOS/W95. Someone said NOT to attach
the CDROM to the sound card directly. What is the best option?
I'll probably have all EIDE/no SCSI if that makes a difference.

 - Brian

Post by Jeff McClai » Thu, 07 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> >I want to install Linux and DOS/W95. Someone said NOT to attach
> >the CDROM to the sound card directly. What is the best option?
> >I'll probably have all EIDE/no SCSI if that makes a difference.

> IDE works great... whether you plug it into your sound card depends on
> your cdrom interface, your soundcard interface, and how many
> harddrives you have, and how many ide ports you have.  I take it you
> haven't purchased yet.

> For the easiest config, if you already have one IDE hd:
> Get an IDE cdrom, configure it as the slave device,  and plug it into
> the same cable as your hd.

> ...Marshall

Becareful, though, Slaving a CDROM to a hard drive will seriously hamper
the performance of that $300 hard drive that you paid so much for!!

I don't think that a single channel on an IDE has the capability to support
multiple ATA forms..so you are reduced to using the slowest one...Say good
by to PIO 4 and 3!!!  It will work fine, however, as the master on the
second IDE channel (if you have EIDE).

The views expressed herein are my own and do NOT reflect
the policy or views of Micron Technology (DRAM).

  voice                                 (208) 368-5483
  fax                                   (208) 368-4495

Where should I plug in my CDROM?

Quote:>I want to install Linux and DOS/W95. Someone said NOT to attach

Post by Pedro Guerrei » Sat, 09 Nov 1996 04:00:00

>> >I want to install Linux and DOS/W95. Someone said NOT to attach
>> >the CDROM to the sound card directly. What is the best option?
>> >I'll probably have all EIDE/no SCSI if that makes a difference.

>> IDE works great... whether you plug it into your sound card depends on
>> your cdrom interface, your soundcard interface, and how many
>> harddrives you have, and how many ide ports you have.  I take it you
>> haven't purchased yet.

>> For the easiest config, if you already have one IDE hd:
>> Get an IDE cdrom, configure it as the slave device,  and plug it into
>> the same cable as your hd.

>> ...Marshall

>Becareful, though, Slaving a CDROM to a hard drive will seriously hamper
>the performance of that $300 hard drive that you paid so much for!!

Tell me about it! I've tried it out, 'cause in one ocasion I did have
three disk and a CDROM :-), and it took TWO DAYS, yes 2 full days to
make a copy from the slave cdrom to the master disk in the same flat
cable. (I could have breaked the proccess, but I did wanted to see how
much time did it get to do that.).
IDE *and* EIDE do that because you can only operate with a device at
the same time.That means that if you are reading one, you cannot do
ANYTHING with the other. You can't read it, you can't position the
heads, you can't do anything.
SCSI drives are different. It allows all the devices on the drive to
be active at the same time, although only one can be transmiting data.
But that means that you can be reading one, *and* the other could be
positiong their heads, or someting.
----
Pedro Guerreiro

1. In search of Solaris 2.5 Netscape Navigator 3.0 plug ins

I am searching for plugins for Netscape Navigator on a SPARC Solaris 2.5
system.  While any help would be appreciated, I am especially looking for
plugs for RealAudio, wav, and Shockwave files.

Surely I don't have to go out and buy an IBM PC running windows or a
just to be able to access sites which use these technologies.
--

:s <URL:http://www.teraform.com/%7Elvirden/> <*> O- "We are all Kosh."
:s Unless explicitly stated to the contrary, nothing in this posting should

2. NFS V3 Staitistics

3. Netscape plug-ins on AIX 4

4. scsi disk geometries

5. plug-ins netscape

6. HELP! Need opions on Motherboard Chipsets for Linux server

7. Reward for NExS Spreadsheet Plug-Ins

8. Compiler optimization

9. Plug Ins

10. Netscape helpers and plug-ins, also java help

11. List of plug-ins for linux/netscape please!

12. Browser Question (Plug-ins) m-w.com

13. Netscape and Plug-ins