Operation not supported by device

Post by Christian Doyl » Sat, 10 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I recently installed RedHat 5.1 using the autoboot batch file.  Everything
seems to work fine except my printer.  All my lpr commands go to the print
spool and hang there.  I get a message that no print daemon is present.
Furthermore, when I try to send a file directly to lp0 (ie. lptest >
/dev/lp0) I get a message "Operation not supported by device".  The same
holds true for lp1 and lp2.

I know the autoboot installation program recognized a device on lp0 during
installation, but what has happened?  Printer works fine with the Windoze
operating system !  I have a HP deskjet 500 and an Acer 75MH pentium.

1. Dummy device - SIOCSIFADDR: Operation not supported by device

Hello everyone ...

I'm new to Linux, and reading through the NAG (Network Administrators
Guide), it seemed like the "dummy" net device  was a nice thing to have. I
can't however seem to get it working. The command:

  ifconfig dummy 195.173.235.70 up

which the NAG advices, reports "SIOCSIFADDR: Operation not supported by
device" (also without the "up" by the way).

I run the RedHat 5.1 distribution, and have upgraded my kernel to 2.0.36.
The dummy net device is compiled as a module, and *does* get loaded (lsmod
shows it for a certain amount of time after the above command)

What am I doing wrong?

By the way, that same lsmod also *allways* shows the serial modules being
loaded, with a usage count of 1, even when I am unaware that anything is
using it. Is it allways used? Anf if yes, should I compile it into the
kernel directly?

Many thanks in advance...

PS: I'am also new to usenet, if you do reply, a CC to my email adress would
be very much appreciated. Just might miss it otherwise, news is confusing...
:-)

2. Cant Display PKGTOOL

3. dumpon operation not supported by device???

4. How can I view PDF format

5. SIOCADDRT: Operation not supported by device

6. Wu-FTPD with Quotas on in Soloris

7. /dev/dsp: Operation not supported by device

8. SCO XENIX TCP/IP

9. SIOCSIFADDR:Operation not supported by device

10. KWINTV Problem: Operation not supported by device??

11. SIOCADDRT: Operation not supported by device

12. login_tty /dev/console: Operation not supported by device

13. Cannot open mouse(operation not support by device)