shell-init: could not get current directory:

shell-init: could not get current directory:

Post by roo » Wed, 14 Oct 1998 04:00:00

My linux box was working beautifully until I just rebooted. Now I can
only log in as root (not as a user). When I login as a user, I get some
error message printed too quickly to see and then the login screen. When,
as root, I try to su, I get the following error:
shell-init: could not get current directory:
regardless of what directory I am in.

Any suggestions?

Please post any reply to the newsgroup (as opposed to mailing) because
my mail does not work as long as this problem persists.

Thanks!
Joseph

Post by Dave Peterso » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> My linux box was working beautifully until I just rebooted. Now I can
> only log in as root (not as a user). When I login as a user, I get some
> error message printed too quickly to see and then the login screen. When,
> as root, I try to su, I get the following error:
> shell-init: could not get current directory:
> regardless of what directory I am in.

> Any suggestions?

Could be off but my guess is that somehow you munged your user
permissions.  I get that same error message if I 'su' to a user who
doesn't have permissions to be in the directory I started from.  Note
that this probably won't help you diagnose the 'no login' problem.

Try 'su'ing when you are in the root directory, or better yet in their
home directory.  EX. to su to 'user', first go to '/home/user', then do
the 'su'.

================================
REMOVE THE dot net FROM MY E-MAIL FOR A VALID ADDRESS
================================
Dave Peterson
Sine Qua Non, Incorporated
"Bringing the World within reach"
http://www.sinequanon.com

1. shell-init: could not get current directory...

A user on my system is having a problem logging into his account.
I su'd to him and this is what was printed on the screen to me.

shell-init: could not get current directory: permission denied

cd didn't work either (without an argument)
it said:
cd
cd_links: could not get current directory: permission denied

so I cd'd .. and then did another cd to get _back_ into his
mhome directory, and everything then worked fine
after cd .. i checked the pwd, and it was the directory above
his home, so I assume I was in his home directory when
I had the problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Boo

2. edquota on freebsd-alpha box

3. Could not get current directory/access parent directory

4. IP Masquerading

5. X startup problem - "job-working directory: could not get current directory"

6. Sending an email from the unix command prompt.

7. problem starting X... shell-init: could not get current directory

8. SCSI & Gigabit Ethernet Devices

9. Getting the current directory

10. getting the current working directory

11. getting current directory

12. Current directory in prompt in Korn shell?