Some answers to various mouse problems Re: PS/2 Mouse and XFree

Some answers to various mouse problems Re: PS/2 Mouse and XFree

Post by Leif Erlingsso » Sat, 10 Feb 1996 04:00:00

SOME ANSWERS

Today I bought a new mouse. Initially, my experience was very much like
Yours, though in my case the mouse was switchable between "Microsoft"
and "MouseSystems" mode.

My "Microsoft" mode worked, but not "MouseSystems". The cursor wouldn't
move. I found that when I commented out the lines

# Mouse Systems protocol mouse: If your mouse is normally in Microsoft-
# compatible mode, enabling the ClearDTR and ClearRTS options may cause
# it to switch to Mouse Systems mode when the server starts.

    # ClearDTR
    # ClearRTS

... did the trick for me! I also have Emulate3Buttons and ChordMiddle
and the baud-rate lines commented out.

BTW, let me post the translation table between recognised Protocols
and brandnames:

#  1.  Microsoft        Microsoft compatible (2-button protocol)
#  2.  MouseSystems     Mouse Systems (3-button protocol)
#  3.  Busmouse         Bus Mouse
#  4.  PS/2             PS/2 Mouse
#  5.  Logitech         Logitech Mouse (serial, old type, Logitech protocol)
#  6.  MouseMan         Logitech MouseMan (Microsoft compatible)
#  7.  MMSeries         MM Series
#  8.  MMHitTab         MM HitTablet

Section "Pointer"
    Protocol    "MouseSystems"
    # Protocol  "Microsoft"
    Device      "/dev/mouse"

As for gpm in VT's:

$ cat /etc/rc.d/rc.local
#!/bin/sh
# Put any local setup commands in here
# Running gpm
echo "Running gpm..."
# Mouse Systems (3-button protocol):
gpm -t msc &
# Microsoft compatible (2-button protocol):
# gpm -t ms &

-- Leif Erlingsson, http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/1998, +46 8 604 0995
                        Use the Internet Address Finder, http://www.iaf.net

Post by Balaji Bakt » Wed, 21 Feb 1996 04:00:00

[...]

: gpm -t msc &
: # Microsoft compatible (2-button protocol):
: # gpm -t ms &

: >     I'm having trouble getting XFree86 to work with my PS/2 mouse.  The
: > mouse is made by Reveal and is able to switch between PS/2 and Microsoft
: > mode via a switch on the bottom and a db9 to mini-DIN adaptor.  I'm
: > using the mouse on an OEM Triton based motherboard running linux from
: > the Slackware 3.0 distribution.  When I configure the mouse as a serial
: > Microsoft compatible, it works just fine with DOS, Windows, and XFree.
: > However, when I try to use the mouse in the PS/2 port, the cursor in
: > XFree just doesn't budge.  DOS and Windows work fine when the mouse is
: > in PS/2 mode, and Linux prints the following line during bootup:
: >
: > PS/2 auxiliary pointing device detected -- driver installed.
: >
: > I then change the protocol line in XF86Config from "Microsoft" to
: > "PS/2".  Actually, I've tried every protocol that listed in the
: > XF86Config man page and none of them work.  I'm leaving the device field
: > set to /dev/mouse.
: >
: > I've poured over all the FAQ's on the slackware 3.0 distribution.  What
: > am I missing?
: >
: > Please send carbon-copys of your responses to me as well as whatever
: > group you're reading this in.  I've crossposted this to 5 groups, some
: > local and some netnews.  Thanks.
: >

I am having the same problem, but the mouse is Logitech Mouse with
a PS/2 style konnector, my boot-time message also says that

PS/2 auxiliary pointing device detected -- driver installed.

I have tried hand editing the XF86Konfig file after looking at
strings `which xf86konfig` to no avail.

If you hear anything from the kollective wisdom of the net, please
do let me know the solution.

: >
: > Chris Kristof
: > Senior ECE
: > CMU
: >
: >

: -- Leif Erlingsson, http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/1998, +46 8 604 0995
:                         Use the Internet Address Finder, http://www.iaf.net

TIA

../baktha (aka) maamiaar

 o   \ o /   __o          __|    \/     |__       o__   \ o /  o
/|\    |      /|   __\o      \o   |   o/    o/__  |\      |   /|\
/ \   / \    |\  /)  |       ( \ /o\ / )     |  (\ / \   / \  / \

 o   \ o /   __o          __|    \/     |__       o__   \ o /  o
/|\    |      /|   __\o      \o   |   o/    o/__  |\      |   /|\
/ \   / \    |\  /)  |       ( \ /o\ / )     |  (\ / \   / \  / \

1. PROBLEM: PS/2 mouse movements cause lock up of all mouse and keyboard input

  No, it's a desktop. It is a Microstar MS-6163 ATX BX13 motherboard based on
Intel 82443BX/PIIX4E chipset.

Best Regards,
--
Krzysiek
-

2. Hauppauge TV-card sound crash

3. MAKEDEPEND program for linux?

4. ps/2 mouse problem under XFree86 (mouse is busy)

5. X Servers, the AS/400, & Linux....

6. Problems with Mouse Systems PS/2 mouse

7. rtl8139 problems #2

8. mouse problems: new ps/2 mouse jumps to left or bottom border

9. PS/2 MOUSE PROBLEM WITH XFREE

10. problem w/ ps/2 mouse and xfree

11. SUN's mouse used for PC PS/2 mouse port ??

12. gpm: PS/2 mouse and serial mouse