FDD Tape Drive--The Saga Continues

Post by Adam » Mon, 31 May 1999 04:00:00

Again, thanks for the help.  For all who haven't followed, I have just
installed a colorado 250MB floppy controller tape drive on a P166 running
redhat 5.0.  I have tried to back up to it using tar, and, having gotten
the right switches in the command line, I get this error:

Quote:>tar (grandchild): Cannot open archive /dev/ftape: Input/output error
>tar (grandchild): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
>Broken pipe

I thought that it might be bvecause the tape needs formatting, but using
mkfs yields the same error.  Advice?

Thanks,

Adam J

Post by Frank Mil » Tue, 01 Jun 1999 04:00:00

>Again, thanks for the help.  For all who haven't followed, I have just
>installed a colorado 250MB floppy controller tape drive on a P166 running
>redhat 5.0.  I have tried to back up to it using tar, and, having gotten
>the right switches in the command line, I get this error:

>>tar (grandchild): Cannot open archive /dev/ftape: Input/output error
>>tar (grandchild): Error is not recoverable: exiting now
>>Broken pipe

>I thought that it might be bvecause the tape needs formatting, but using
>mkfs yields the same error.  Advice?

You don't make a file system on a streaming tape device!
Before you go further, I'd recommend that you do some serious doc-reading.
Try checking out (if you don't already have the documentation):
        http://www.math1.rwth-aachen.de/%7Eheine/ftape/

        -frank

[my recollection is that others have recommended tob, afio, taper...
you might want to look into these]

--

1. Continuing saga of parallel tape drive installation woes

Now that I know I have to use ftape to support my Conner CTT800E tape
drive I am at the next layer of the onion. I asked this on the
linux-tape discussion list but have not yet received a reply so I
though I'd try here as well.

After installing ftape, I execute the 'insert' script for the modules.
The script outputs a number of messages including some errors. Here
are the messages that I think are errors:

can't locate module parport
trakker.c (trakker_checksum) - checksum error (off by 9c).
...... repeated several times with different "off by xx" number.......
trakker.c (trakker_detect) - can't find trakker interface for ftape id
1.
trakker.c (trakker_detect) - ft_parport_probe(fdc, &trakker->parinfo)
failed: -6.
bpck-fdc.c (bpck_fdc_detect) - - can't find bpck interface for ftape
id 1.
bpck-fdc.c (bpck_fdc_detect) - - ft_parport_probe(fdc, &bpck->parinfo)
failed: -6.

I obvously have some kind of configuration or installation error but
do not know here to go from here. Can someone point me in the right
direction? The available doccumentation has been no help. TIA.

2. PRINTING HELP NEEDED!

3. FDD Tape Drive--The Sequel

4. OpenGL and window contents

5. FDD Tape Drives

6. System configuration for MultiCAST and Broadcast

7. 2.88 MB FDD -> 1.44 MB FDD

8. Emergency Root/Boot Floppy on OS5.0.4

9. The Networking Saga Continues...

10. Installing xfce: the saga continues (or I'm too stupid for Linux)

11. The PPP Saga Continues

12. PS/2 mouse: Day 2, the Saga continues ... please help!

13. HA... the saga continues (found a binary)