paralell zip: mounting?

Post by Stephan Bea » Mon, 30 Mar 1998 04:00:00

All:

I've got a paralell ZIP drive, installed the PPA driver 1.41, and it
sees the drive correctly on startup. Now, how do I mount the damned
thing? I've tried mounting /dev/sd[a-g] and /dev/lp0, but no good. I've
also tried raw reading/writing from those devices using dd, but only
errors about "no such device" on /dev/sda (I have no real SCSI hardware)
and "no such device or address" with lp0.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance :)

--
----- Stephan Beal

http://www.he.net/~sgbeal

paralell zip: mounting?

Post by Thomas Amsle » Mon, 30 Mar 1998 04:00:00

It should be mounted as:
mount /dev/sda4 /zipdrive
... if your zip disk has a dos format.  But you can format the zip disk and
mount it with:
mount /dev/sda1 /zipdrive
hope this helps..

--
Thomas Amsler

http://euler.reshall.berkeley.edu

   -- Albert Einstein

paralell zip: mounting?

Post by Straf » Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:00:00

If the ppa driver is installed correctly just type:

'mount /dev/sda4 /mnt'

That should do it. Works for me on all my Linux machines!
-joe-

-Lover of all things Macintosh, OS/2 or Unix, collector of the best toy
-ever, Transformers. Subaru SVX --- The Beauty Of All Wheel Drive.
-"Judges Disqualify 'Little Milton' In Last Minute Rumpus".
-The St. Cleve Chronicle; Friday, January 7th 1972

paralell zip: mounting?

Post by 6xtip.. » Tue, 31 Mar 1998 04:00:00

On Sun, 29 Mar 1998 22:15:18 +0200, Stephan Beal

>All:

>I've got a paralell ZIP drive, installed the PPA driver 1.41, and it
>sees the drive correctly on startup. Now, how do I mount the damned
>thing? I've tried mounting /dev/sd[a-g] and /dev/lp0, but no good. I've
>also tried raw reading/writing from those devices using dd, but only
>errors about "no such device" on /dev/sda (I have no real SCSI hardware)
>and "no such device or address" with lp0.

>Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

If you are using a pre-formatted zip disk; try mounting /dev/sda4.

For some reason the file system resides on the fourth partition on
pre-formatted zip disks.

paralell zip: mounting?

Post by pwillar » Wed, 01 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I use Windows 95 with my zip disks quite a bit and I find that using,

"mount -t vfat /dev/sda4 /mnt"

works well for me. It allows me to use Windows 95 at work to pull kits of
the net and preserve the long file names commonly associated with Unix
files.

Pete