Please Help !!!: RedHat 5.2 install on a 486

Please Help !!!: RedHat 5.2 install on a 486

Post by Edwardsia » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

I am trying to breath life into an old 486 by installing Linux Red Hat
5.2.  I guess I expected it to be as simple as installing Windows 98 or
something like that.  I don't know anything about partitioning, mounts,
parameters, etc.  Basically I am very stupid in the matter.  The
computer is a Compaq Presario 486 (the all-in-one design) with a 400
meg hard drive and 40 megs of ram.  It is currently running Windows 95,
but I want to wipe it clean and install Linux only.  I would really
appreciate it if someone could walk me through the process.

Thanks,
Rob

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Please Help !!!: RedHat 5.2 install on a 486

Post by Chris Cantwel » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

In a nutshell:
Figure out what purpose you'll be building your machine for (desktop, nfs
server, proxy server, mail server, web server, etc.)
Grab a Linux book from a bookstore and start reading.
Alternatively, if you have another machine on the internet, find the
HOW-TO's and go to town.
Gather all pertinent info about your machine: video, Ethernet (if on a
network), hard disk, etc.
Load the CD, and boot from the install floppy (your 486 probably won't boot
from the CD)
Partition your hard disk and install Linux.

Chris

Quote:> I am trying to breath life into an old 486 by installing Linux Red Hat
> 5.2.  I guess I expected it to be as simple as installing Windows 98 or
> something like that.  I don't know anything about partitioning, mounts,
> parameters, etc.  Basically I am very stupid in the matter.  The
> computer is a Compaq Presario 486 (the all-in-one design) with a 400
> meg hard drive and 40 megs of ram.  It is currently running Windows 95,
> but I want to wipe it clean and install Linux only.  I would really
> appreciate it if someone could walk me through the process.

> Thanks,
> Rob

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Please Help !!!: RedHat 5.2 install on a 486

Post by John B. Summer » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi,
Another newbie here...
I too want to use an old 486-33.  My goal is to learn as much as I can about
Linux.  I don't expect performance.  My system:
486-33
8 mb ram
Phillips 2x CD-Rom
1 HD 120 mbytes
1 HD 420 mbytes
floppies

I am planning on devoting the entire (I know it's not much...) machine to
Linux.  I have RH5.2.

My problem is that the CD-Rom is not recognized and the installation stops
there.  I tried entering various choices of linux hdx=cdrom at the  boot:
prompt, but Linux still didn't recognize CD-Rom.  This is the only help from RH
Support that seems to be applicable.  What is surprising is that the CD-Rom is
listed as one of the few listed as a choice.

RH Support also said if linux hdx-cdrom doesn't work, it could be an IRQ
conflict.  This CD worked fine under DOS 6.2 and Win3.1 under IRQ 5 and port
address 330h.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

John

> In a nutshell:
> Figure out what purpose you'll be building your machine for (desktop, nfs
> server, proxy server, mail server, web server, etc.)
> Grab a Linux book from a bookstore and start reading.
> Alternatively, if you have another machine on the internet, find the
> HOW-TO's and go to town.
> Gather all pertinent info about your machine: video, Ethernet (if on a
> network), hard disk, etc.
> Load the CD, and boot from the install floppy (your 486 probably won't boot
> from the CD)
> Partition your hard disk and install Linux.

> Chris

> > I am trying to breath life into an old 486 by installing Linux Red Hat
> > 5.2.  I guess I expected it to be as simple as installing Windows 98 or
> > something like that.  I don't know anything about partitioning, mounts,
> > parameters, etc.  Basically I am very stupid in the matter.  The
> > computer is a Compaq Presario 486 (the all-in-one design) with a 400
> > meg hard drive and 40 megs of ram.  It is currently running Windows 95,
> > but I want to wipe it clean and install Linux only.  I would really
> > appreciate it if someone could walk me through the process.

> > Thanks,
> > Rob

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

1. Please Help , first time installing Redhat 5.2.

    I have been trying to install my Linux Redhat 5.2 for months now. I am
putting it on a Tandy 486 with 12 MB 33 Mhz. No CD ROM player.

    I bought a CD ROM player and a new Hard Drive with 2.5 GB so I could do
a full install. I couldn't get the computer to read the CD ROM Player so I
bought a backpack external CD ROM player.

    I booted off the CD ROM, everything was working until the computer tried
to autodetect the CD ROM Drive. The loading failed even though there is an
autodetect option for BackPack CD players.  I get the error message:

"Mount failed: Invalid argument, I could not mount a CD on device
/dev/bpcd".

    The manual says if autodetect doesn't work you should choose the other
option of specifying the Module Options. So I choose the option to manually
enter Module Parameters and there is a line made up of dashed lines (pg. 25
of the Redhat manual), that looks like "_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ ".

    The manual says to type something like "linux hdx=cdrom". It has an
appendix of possible parameters for a variety of CD ROM players but not for
backpack. The manual recommends changing the x to a or b or c etc. depending
on how the drive is set up. However when I do this the computer just
freezes.

    Please tell me how I can get over this, what am I doing wrong. I have
loaded the external CD ROM's drivers in the computer. Is there anyway around
this.

    I assume that the message couldnt mount on device /dev/bpcd means device
backpack CD ROM. Please give me some advice. I heard some people are
volunteering for installation. Is anyone willing to come to the school and
do this for me? If not come to the school in person just send me your phone
number or call me and I will do it over the phone with you.

Sincerely,

Ron Wolsky
718-694-8352

Technology Coordinator/Grant Writer/UFT Representative
Borough Academies
116 Nassau Street
Brooklyn, New York 11201

2. Weird mouse behaviour w/ XFree86 3.3.2 and Logitech PS/2 mouse

3. Redhat 5.2, 2 NICs, ADSL, 486

4. Netscape 4.5 makes screen blink frequently

5. Problem installing and running programs with JDK 1.2 on Redhat 5.2, please help!

6. Red Hat 5.2 is great, But............

7. Redhat 5.2 Install and Upgrade Error - Please Help

8. Server Side Include: Performance Issues

9. Advise please re RedHat 5.2 and my install....

10. Help installing Redhat 4.1 on a 486

11. HELP me PLEASE!! - RedHat 5.2 installation problems

12. Please help: client Win98 -> Server RedHat 5.2

13. Installing RedHat 6.0 over Redhat 5.2