closet swapspace

Post by irfan bai » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

this one is pretty funny, i guess. anyway - i've noticed my swap
partition is 'deleted' (more like not recognised by linux) after
installation of the os. should this happen? like, i go on xwindows and
check out the filesystems and it says 'dev/hda7 has been deleted. shall
i remove it' or something to that effect. do i no longer need the swap
partition - it seems as though the installation deleted it for me. Red
Hat 5 (not 5.1)
if so, why was i an idiot and gave it 100Megs when i have 64MB Ram? god.

thanks.

woohoo.
irfan

closet swapspace

Post by Richard S. Lumpki » Sat, 03 Oct 1998 04:00:00

> this one is pretty funny, i guess. anyway - i've noticed my swap
> partition is 'deleted' (more like not recognised by linux) after
> installation of the os. should this happen? like, i go on xwindows and
> check out the filesystems and it says 'dev/hda7 has been deleted. shall
> i remove it' or something to that effect. do i no longer need the swap
> partition - it seems as though the installation deleted it for me. Red
> Hat 5 (not 5.1)
> if so, why was i an idiot and gave it 100Megs when i have 64MB Ram? god.

It's somehting flakely in the filesystems control panel in RH5.0,  did
the same thing to me, there is probably an erratta, but I fixed the
fstab by hand and quit using that "tool"

Richard S. Lumpkin, Ph.D.                            Associate Professor
Department of Chemistry                                     256-890-6365
University of Alabama in Huntsville                     fax 256-890-6349
Huntsville, AL 35899                          http://chromophore.uah.edu

1. Is total VM = (swapspace + RAM) or max(swapspace, RAM)

Hi all,

I'm relatively new to Linux, and I've got a VM
question I haven't been able to track down in the
kernel books on online stuff I've found.  Is a
Linux system's total virtual memory equal to the
max of the swapspace & RAM (like, the RAM is just
a kind of cache for the swap), or is it the total
of the two?

I've seen both kinds of UNIXes in the past....

Thanks in advance

Bob

2. dbx, corefile problem

3. ADMIN: New moderator coming out of the closet

4. Why does .forward file not work ?!

5. cleaning out closet

6. How to get rid of console log window when running xdm?

7. Closet Clean-Out !! - Software

8. Diamond Fire GL 1000 PRO

9. Linus/Transmeta to come out of the closet wed.

10. The Rev - closet FreeBSD fanatic?

11. how to put ftape back in the closet...?

12. Parents of 15 year old find $71,000 in his closet!

13. Closet Linux booster?