getting my Reveal 4x CDROM to work with Linux????

getting my Reveal 4x CDROM to work with Linux????

Post by nic.. » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Anybody know how to make my Reveal 4x CDROM play nicely with
Linux so i can finish my installation?  My guess is I need to
find a driver on-line somewhere but so far haven't found one...

-shaun

Post by dfxharriso » Fri, 27 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> Anybody know how to make my Reveal 4x CDROM play nicely with
> Linux so i can finish my installation?  My guess is I need to
> find a driver on-line somewhere but so far haven't found one...

> -shaun

Shaun
Just finished doing such an install.  Where is the drive connected?  If
it's an IDE setup, you can type hdc=cdrom at the boot prompt and it
should be no prob. If it's EIDE and you're plugged in to the secondary
position, it might be hdd=cdrom, but I'm not sure.  Good Luck :)

Post by Phyllosop » Mon, 30 Sep 1996 04:00:00

> > Anybody know how to make my Reveal 4x CDROM play nicely with
> > Linux so i can finish my installation?  My guess is I need to
> > find a driver on-line somewhere but so far haven't found one...

> > -shaun
> Shaun
> Just finished doing such an install.  Where is the drive connected?  If
> it's an IDE setup, you can type hdc=cdrom at the boot prompt and it
> should be no prob. If it's EIDE and you're plugged in to the secondary
> position, it might be hdd=cdrom, but I'm not sure.  Good Luck :)

Thanks for the tip!  Linux recognizes my CDROM drive!

Now if I type 'mount hdd=cdrom' at the boot floppy prompt, Linux will
recognize my cdrom drive....but then right before the insert root disk
prompt it gives me an error about reading partitions (it thinks my cdrom
is a hard drive??), then after I insert the root disk it says something
about MS-DOS and UMSDOS beta 0.6?!!!  This is especially odd because I am
using the color.gz root image, not the umsdos one!!

If I boot without the 'mount hdd=cdrom' parameter, then it works fine and
I can run the setup program and all, but then it doesn't recognize my
cdrom, and claims that there is no cdrom drive on the system!!

(yes, I have partitioned my hard drives correctly)

Thanks for any help!!
-matt

See http://www.svs.com/users/mcps
phor phyllosophy, photos, and phoetry...oophs!

1. Goldstar 540 4X CDROM (Reveal 4x CDROm)

I just purchaced the Infomagic Developer's Resource Linux kit.  It came
with the Slackware 2.2 software (kernel 1.2).  The CDROM I have is on an
IDE/ATAPI interface.  When creating the boot and root floppies, I picked
the IDE/ATAPI kernel.  I boot and it recognizes the CDROM.  I create my
partitions (or rather recreate - I was using an old linux) and run
setup.  I choose IDE drive for the source and pick my packages.  It
starts to install (CD light flashes) and then errors out giving me a
unexpeced end of file for tar (the CDROM complains about a Buffer problem.)

Going out to root, I can see that the CDROM is mounted.  I can cd to the
directory and look around.  If I cat out a readme.lnx or readme.dos file
it will go so far then the buffer error.

Can anyone help?!!!!

Bob

2. Virtual Web Servers with Apache

3. InfoMagic CDROM Installation on Reveal 4X CDROm

4. sorting mail

5. Getting a NEC 4x CDROM to work so I can install

6. Connecting to my ISP,Please help!

7. You don't have to throw you REVEAL 4x ATAPI CDROM away...

8. Ram disks

9. Reveal 4X GCDR540 CDROM Driver?

10. Reveal 4x CDROM Install

11. InfoMagic CD install-Reveal 4X (Goldtar R540GD) IDE/TAPI CDROM

12. Need help getting Linux to recognize Chinon CDS-545i 4X CDROM

13. Toshiba XM-5302B 4x CDROM will it work with Linux?