slakware 3.6 with ASUS P2B DS (adaptec 2940) and matrox millennium II AGP

slakware 3.6 with ASUS P2B DS (adaptec 2940) and matrox millennium II AGP

Post by Gilles Chrzaszc » Sat, 06 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have some problems to make a kernel on my computer and to config XFree86.

I have a ASUS P2B Ds motherboard and two scsi disk, a scsi cdrom (Toshiba
XM-6201TA), a scsi CDRW (Yamaha CRW 4260), an ensoniq PCI sound card, an
ethernet card (3Com 509b) and a ViewSonic G790 monitor.

When i use the kernel aic7890.s, my computer work correctly but if i config
the kernel to use my ethernet card i do not obtain a kernel that work
correctly. This new kernel does not recognise my scsi drivers.

Plus, I can not create a XF86Config file that work with my computer

Thank you very very much

Post by Vladymyr Iljyc Leni » Sun, 07 Mar 1999 04:00:00

> I have some problems to make a kernel on my computer and to config XFree86.

> I have a ASUS P2B Ds motherboard and two scsi disk, a scsi cdrom (Toshiba
> XM-6201TA), a scsi CDRW (Yamaha CRW 4260), an ensoniq PCI sound card, an
> ethernet card (3Com 509b) and a ViewSonic G790 monitor.

> When i use the kernel aic7890.s, my computer work correctly but if i config
> the kernel to use my ethernet card i do not obtain a kernel that work
> correctly. This new kernel does not recognise my scsi drivers.

Do you configure support for yours SCSI host adapter in your new kernel?

Quote:> Plus, I can not create a XF86Config file that work with my computer

what type is yours graphic card?
--

                                                        = lenin =
proste lenin

slakware 3.6 with ASUS P2B DS (adaptec 2940) and matrox millennium II AGP

Post by Eric Melvill » Thu, 11 Mar 1999 04:00:00

when you configured the kernel, did you turn on the aic7890 scsi
support? it's almost certainly not on by default.

is this one of the asus boards with the on board video? for sis video
chipset support, grab an x server and xf86config script from suse linux.
that's what i've got: slackware, asus board with sis 5597 chipset, and x
server w/ config script from suse linux... works great.

-E

Quote:> I have some problems to make a kernel on my computer and to config XFree86.

> I have a ASUS P2B Ds motherboard and two scsi disk, a scsi cdrom (Toshiba
> XM-6201TA), a scsi CDRW (Yamaha CRW 4260), an ensoniq PCI sound card, an
> ethernet card (3Com 509b) and a ViewSonic G790 monitor.

> When i use the kernel aic7890.s, my computer work correctly but if i config
> the kernel to use my ethernet card i do not obtain a kernel that work
> correctly. This new kernel does not recognise my scsi drivers.

> Plus, I can not create a XF86Config file that work with my computer

slakware 3.6 with ASUS P2B DS (adaptec 2940) and matrox millennium II AGP

Post by Sasa Ostrousk » Tue, 16 Mar 1999 04:00:00

If you use the matrox millenium II try the server from www.suse.de or
the SVGA server from XFree86 then type xf86config or XF86Setup set
everything and you should be set.

Bye Sasa

> > I have some problems to make a kernel on my computer and to config
> XFree86.

> > I have a ASUS P2B Ds motherboard and two scsi disk, a scsi cdrom
> (Toshiba
> > XM-6201TA), a scsi CDRW (Yamaha CRW 4260), an ensoniq PCI sound
> card, an
> > ethernet card (3Com 509b) and a ViewSonic G790 monitor.

> > When i use the kernel aic7890.s, my computer work correctly but if i
> config
> > the kernel to use my ethernet card i do not obtain a kernel that
> work
> > correctly. This new kernel does not recognise my scsi drivers.

> Do you configure support for yours SCSI host adapter in your new
> kernel?

> > Plus, I can not create a XF86Config file that work with my computer

> what type is yours graphic card?
> --

>                                                         = lenin =
> proste lenin

slakware 3.6 with ASUS P2B DS (adaptec 2940) and matrox millennium II AGP

Post by Sasa Ostrousk » Tue, 23 Mar 1999 04:00:00

Hi Gilles !
                I use Slack 3.6 and i recently installed the kernel 2.2.3 and
for now it works very fine.
I have some questions for you.

1. What version of kernel are you using and what version of kernel you want to
recompile ?
If you have the 2.0.35 then try to patch it to 2.0.36 and recompile it.

2. Do you have the latest XFree 3.3.3.1 or you have the 3.3.2 which comes with
the dist. ?
If you have the 3.3.2 you have to download at least the Xserver from suse
(www.suse.de)
which has the support for the Matrox G200 and Millenium II AGP.

Bye Sasa