Terminfo (vi HATE HATE! :-)

Post by LEWIS A CRESSE » Tue, 27 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello! I installed Redhat 5.0 recently, and it's the first time I've used
Linux. I wonder if someone could help me with a few problems:

1) I want to stop that horrible PC-speaker beep from my terminal. Is there
a way to do this by editing the termcap/terminfo files? The man pages on
terminfo seem to suggest a text file, but the actual terminfo entries are
binary. Using the visible bell as an alternative would be nicer.

2) I want to actually get some use from most of my keyboard, i.e. keys
like HOME, DELETE, INSERT, and the numeric keypad. Again, should I edit
terminfo to do this? Sometimes keys which work normally won't work under
xterm (e.g. I can't use PGUP/PGDN in vi). Can someone tell me why?

3) Is there a (GNU, freeware, shareware) Wordprocessor available for
Linux? I can't find software anywhere (other than what came on the CD).

4) If I use the package manager to install something (in this case, the
xzx Spectrum emulator) it appears in a folder called 'none'. How can I
move it to a different folder?

5) Is there a window manager like fvwm95, but which gives the appearance
of Amiga Workbench rather than (yuk) Windows '95? I appreciate this
configuration is very clever, but I kind of installed Linux to get away
from Microsoft...:-)

6) Could someone please tell me why 'powerful' and 'user-friendly' seem to
be so incompatible? Microsoft stuff may be * and buggy and extremely
unethical, but at least you don't find yourself wasting hours of your time
trying to figure out what's going on. Is it really necessary for editors
like emacs and vi to use such impossible key combinations? Just to
illustrate: in the emacs documentation it says something to the effect
that using CTRL+f, CTRL+b etc. etc. is preferable to the arrow keys. Why?
Or why do I have to press CTRL-C CTRL-X to quit when using Microsoft edit
I can just use CTRL-X? Why do I have to press escape so often and get
beeped at? I don't like Microsoft any more than most people, but I think
they might have something here. :-o

  I feel the creators of these programs are criticising me just because I
don't have hours to spare discovering billions of esoteric features. Of
course these people are experts, and I'm extremely grateful for their work
on something which still makes Windows look very very shabby. But aren't
they unnecessarily alienating people like this? Power is valuable, but so
is comfort and ease of use.

***************************

***************************

Terminfo (vi HATE HATE! :-)

Post by Charles Tryo » Tue, 27 Jan 1998 04:00:00

> Hello! I installed Redhat 5.0 recently, and it's the first time I've used
> Linux. I wonder if someone could help me with a few problems:

> 1) I want to stop that horrible PC-speaker beep from my terminal. Is there
> a way to do this by editing the termcap/terminfo files? The man pages on
> terminfo seem to suggest a text file, but the actual terminfo entries are
> binary. Using the visible bell as an alternative would be nicer.

  How about unplugging the speaker from the MB?  ;-)

  Seriously, if you're using xterm, add the line to your .Xdefaults file:

        xterm*visualBell:    "true"

  This should turn the visual bell on and the audible bell off.

--
    Your Servant,

    "Never laugh at live dragons, Bilbo you fool!"
                 --Bilbo, after a scorching from Smaug.