Linux floppy as NT backup/recovery tool (Norton Ghost killer?)

Linux floppy as NT backup/recovery tool (Norton Ghost killer?)

Post by Alex Ramo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Don't get me wrong, I use Linux for other things too :-)

Now that a write-enabled NTFS driver is available for Linux,
can it be used a "partition image" tool for NT? i.e. as a
replacement for expensive software like Norton Ghost. A
Linux bootable floppy would run circles around Ghost, due
to better device support (e.g. weird networks, tape drives,
backup disks larger than 2 GB, etc).

I suspect that the problem will be the archiving software:
tar and cpio probably do not save and restore all attributes
and ACLs (Access Control List) of files on an NTFS filesystem.

Also, which sectors would need to be restored in order to make
a rebuilt NT partition bootable?

thanks
Alex

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Chad Mulliga » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>Don't get me wrong, I use Linux for other things too :-)

>Now that a write-enabled NTFS driver is available for Linux,
>can it be used a "partition image" tool for NT? i.e. as a
>replacement for expensive software like Norton Ghost. A
>Linux bootable floppy would run circles around Ghost, due
>to better device support (e.g. weird networks, tape drives,
>backup disks larger than 2 GB, etc).

Linux (ext2)  doesn't support disks larger than 2GB.

Quote:>I suspect that the problem will be the archiving software:
>tar and cpio probably do not save and restore all attributes
>and ACLs (Access Control List) of files on an NTFS filesystem.

>Also, which sectors would need to be restored in order to make
>a rebuilt NT partition bootable?

It won't work, stick with what works.
Quote:>thanks

Post by Peter T. Breu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: Linux (ext2)  doesn't support disks larger than 2GB.

Whoooooooo boy. How do you explain my 8.4GB disk and 4GB ext2 home
partition on ix86 then!  Go take a cold shower (and read dejanews wile
in it ...).  You are inventing facts.  What you say is not the case and
never has been the case.  Please do not spread misrepresentations.

: >Also, which sectors would need to be restored in order to make
: >a rebuilt NT partition bootable?

: It won't work, stick with what works.

It sure WILL. He just needs the NT boot sector. Copy it off a friend.

--
Peter

Linux floppy as NT backup/recovery tool (Norton Ghost killer?)

Post by Alex Ramo » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

[..]

> >Now that a write-enabled NTFS driver is available for Linux,
> >can it be used a "partition image" tool for NT? i.e. as a
> >replacement for expensive software like Norton Ghost. A
> >Linux bootable floppy would run circles around Ghost, due
> >to better device support (e.g. weird networks, tape drives,
> >backup disks larger than 2 GB, etc).

> Linux (ext2)  doesn't support disks larger than 2GB.

That's not entirely true. There is a (v2.0.36) limit of 2GB
per _file_, not per filesystem. I created a 5GB ext2 partition
on my spare drive without any problems. And fortunately, "split"
and "cat" are builtin utilities in virtually all Linux distributions.

Quote:

> >Also, which sectors would need to be restored in order to make
> >a rebuilt NT partition bootable?

> It won't work, stick with what works.

The problem with this "stick with what works" statement is that
nothing on the market today works! The closest thing to it is
Norton Ghost, and it is not capable of doing the only 2 things
I wanted to do with it:
- Backup my entire drive to an Exabyte 8500 8mm SCSI tape drive.
  (so I'm having to use Linux "dd" for image backups, with all
  the known pitfalls of doing "dd" backups)
- Backup my entire drive to a sligthly smaller hard drive, in one shot.
  (So I have to use "dd" for this, too. No it's actually worse, I have
  to use "dd" with "gzip"!)

I think the market is ready for a Linux-based NT disaster recovery
tool! DOS-based tools have reached their limits.

Post by Reinier Pos » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>: >- Backup my entire drive to an Exabyte 8500 8mm SCSI tape drive.
>: >  (so I'm having to use Linux "dd" for image backups, with all
>: >  the known pitfalls of doing "dd" backups)

[...]

Quote:>And where exactly do you choose to place the bad blocks on your disk
>:-) ?

1) it's SCSI.  I never see any bad blocks on SCSI disks.
2) better use tar (short for 'tape archiver') instead of dd

--
Reinier

Linux floppy as NT backup/recovery tool (Norton Ghost killer?)

Post by Eric Gisi » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

UNIX dd is a fine image backup utility for FAT/NTFS partitions. The only
pitfall is restoring to a different drive geometry. To make it bootable, you
have to patch the bootsector with correct Heads, Sectors, and Offset values.

However, simple dd for WinNT is only 100 lines of C.

Quote:

Post by Sitaram Chamar » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>: I do it all the time - after dd I read the tape back and cmp with
>: /dev/hda1 also.  What are the pitfalls, for my edification?

>And where exactly do you choose to place the bad blocks on your disk
>:-) ?

Nowhere - I dont care.  If I read the tape back and it compared
exactly to /dev/hda1, then I figure I'm OK.

It's mainly meant to guard against NT itself eating its tail and
screwing up in some way - like often happens when I install
something new - I can always get back to a known state where NT
boots OK and all that.  I keep all my data in a "D" drive - C is
only for software, so restoring to last week's status won't kill
me.

This is a laptop, not a server, so I don't get too paranoid about
it.

Linux floppy as NT backup/recovery tool (Norton Ghost killer?)

Post by Sitaram Chamar » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>2) better use tar (short for 'tape archiver') instead of dd

It's NTFS.  How do you expect to write back all the files if you
want to restore the entire partition?  (At least as of a month or
2 ago the "write NTFS" was still experimental...)

Linux floppy as NT backup/recovery tool (Norton Ghost killer?)

Post by Sitaram Chamar » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

>UNIX dd is a fine image backup utility for FAT/NTFS partitions. The only
>pitfall is restoring to a different drive geometry. To make it bootable, you

I have had reports of people who have restored it to a *larger*
partition, with no problems.

1. Slow backup of computer's using Norton Ghost (on floppy disk) to Linux Samba

Hi,

I use Norton Ghost to backup all my computers (independent of OS) to a
single Linux Redhat 6.0 machine which has its drives accessible via
SAMBA.

I've had problems with really slow (2Mb a minute) backups for years
and the fact that I couldn't complete a backup in a night was really
frustrating.

After much searching I discovered the following call logged at
Microsoft's technet:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q244826&LN=EN...

In this call a bug is mentioned in DOS that states the DOS real mode
network adapter driver is unable to keep up with the stream of packets
sent by the MS-DOS TCP/IP stack, which results in packet losses.

I have to use DOS as I need to get access to the disks with out
mounting the local operating system.

The solution in this case is to set the TCP receive window size in
Windows 2000 to a value equal or less than 8 KB.

I believe that my RedHat Linux is also experiencing this problem. The
Linux TCP window size is probably 32Kb? I can't tell.

My netstat -r  looks like:
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window
irtt Iface
168.192.255.2   *               255.255.255.255 UH        0 0
0 eth0
168.192.0.0     *               255.255.0.0     U         0 0
0 eth0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U         0 0
0 lo

If I run the following line in a script I belive I change my window
size for clients:

/sbin/route add -net 168.192.0.0 netmask 255.255.0.0 window 8192
device eth0

Now I have
Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window
irtt Iface
168.192.255.2   *               255.255.255.255 UH        0 0
0 eth0
168.192.0.0     *               255.255.0.0     U         0 8192
0 eth0
168.192.0.0     *               255.255.0.0     U         0 0
0 eth0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U         0 0
0 lo

After this my network Ghost transfers increase to 40 Mb a minute!

If anyone can verify what I am doing is correct (to handle a
mis-behaving DOS client) I would be grateful.

Thanks,
Daniel.

2. renegade logrotate

3. Norton Ghost-like Software for linux.

4. Printer help needed.

5. Norton Ghost & Linux Drive

6. SCO UNIX Distributor in Hong Kong

7. Norton Ghost to Linux

8. script suddenly broken (/bin/sh, fink, Mac OSX)

9. Linux & Norton Ghost

10. Anything like Norton's GHOST for Linux.

11. Norton Ghost Question

12. GRUB broken after Norton Ghost

13. Norton Ghost equivalent?