Thanx Rob Davies

Post by Bob » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 05:40:20

For Nothing.

It's easy to reply to a request and make fun of, or criticize a poster
asking for help.  And when that poster replies, apologizing and
explaining, just to ignore him/her.

It would be better if you didn't reply at all. Stand on high and be the
guru of Linux guru's. Just don't pay any attention to us peons of
newbieness.

Bob S.

Thanx Rob Davies

Post by Michael Heimin » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 16:47:46

> For Nothing.

> It's easy to reply to a request and make fun of, or criticize a poster
> asking for help.  And when that poster replies, apologizing and
> explaining, just to ignore him/her.

> It would be better if you didn't reply at all. Stand on high and be the
> guru of Linux guru's. Just don't pay any attention to us peons of
> newbieness.

> Bob S.

What's your problem with Robert Davies replies? The ones I have read
were well written & helpful, if you can't handle the facts, your
problem.

Don't blame others for trying to help you, even if the info you
give is not sufficient.

I would have written this as email, but you failed to give us a valid
From: line.

Remember, this is a ng, not a help desk, people are willing to help
you,
but you have to read the docs on your own.

Michael Heiming

Thanx Rob Davies

Post by Steve War » Mon, 23 Jul 2001 23:56:56

>> For Nothing.

>> It's easy to reply to a request and make fun of, or criticize a poster
>> asking for help.  And when that poster replies, apologizing and
>> explaining, just to ignore him/her.

>> It would be better if you didn't reply at all. Stand on high and be the
>> guru of Linux guru's. Just don't pay any attention to us peons of
>> newbieness.

>> Bob S.

> What's your problem with Robert Davies replies? The ones I have read
> were well written & helpful, if you can't handle the facts, your
> problem.

> Don't blame others for trying to help you, even if the info you
> give is not sufficient.

> I would have written this as email, but you failed to give us a valid
> From: line.

> Remember, this is a ng, not a help desk, people are willing to help
> you,
> but you have to read the docs on your own.

> Michael Heiming

I 100% agree with Michael, Mr Davies is a GURU and is helpful beyond
expectations.  Bob S, please tell us which article you are referring to ?
I would have to see this one to beleive you.

Steve Ward

Thanx Rob Davies

Post by Robert St » Tue, 24 Jul 2001 15:17:13

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001 09:56:56 -0500, Steve Ward

--------Snip--------- Rather not repeat my rant. I don't want to keep
stirring the pot. I am sorry wrote it in the first place. But, now I
have to prove myself?  I am being accused of prevaricating??

Ok, so that you will believe me, I've attached the thread of the
questioned articles below your post. Unfortunately the very first
original post and the first reply are gone. You will see that by
checking the headers. If you insist on seeing those I would have
to make a usenet search to retrieve them. Say so, and I will. I am
not very comfortable being accused of lying.

I also hate using up bandwidth on a personal level. It is good that
you will jump to another poster's defense, but my own integrity is
at stake.

I am a "senior citizen". Not really a newbie because I have been
learning and experimenting with Linux for about a year. I didn't have
the luxury of formal computer training. I started with DOS about 10
years ago and went 3.1, 95, 98. Learning it all on my own. I get
frustrated at times and rely on people like Mr. Davies, and Michael,
and others to guide me along the way. I just don't understand why
some of the replies to posters have to be demeaning.

Quote:>> What's your problem with Robert Davies replies? The ones I have read

Subject: Re: mount permission
Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.setup

Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2001 00:39:48 -0400

>>> Does that mean that line should, or should not be in fstab. Mine does
>>> say "noauto,user"

>>> Bob S

>> C,mon guys give me some guidance here.  Also did a chmod a+rw /dev/sda1
>> and then another chmod a+rw /mnt/usbhd .   Just cannot access the usbhd
>> as user. Get the message only root can mount dev/sda1 for /mnt usbhd,
>> Yes root can......But I don't want to work as root downloading pictures
>> from my camera.

> You ought to be able to mount with the user option, mount(8) is normally
> a setuid root command.  The permissions on the devices and mount
> directory shouldn't need to be altered.

> You might get better answers if you include any error messages you get
> in your posts.  I wonder if it's a module load problem, causing it to
> fail, or some permission problem, caused by changes made, but I cannot
> tell because there's no information to go on.  AFAIK you don't even say
> what distro, kernel version extra you are running.

> Try the pyschic friends network if you need answers, without posting
> troubleshooting information.

> Rob

Rob, sorry, I am not sure that you saw the original post. Just
frustrated.
I have posted several different messages all of which contained more
info
to various pertinent groups with nary a reply.

Anyway, I am running Suse 7.1 with the 2.4.4 kernel. I am trying to
mount
a usb smart media card as user. I have set it up and it works fine as
root.  I am able to mount all other devices eg: floppy, cdrom, windows
partitions, etc. as user.

There aren't really any error messages except the little box that
comes
up and says,"mount: only root can mount /dev/sda1 on ?mnt/usbhd". If I
modprobe usb-storage, I then get this message when I try to mount the
usb. "mount: mtab shows that /dev/sda is already mounted. mount
failed"

Hope you can help me figure out what is going on here.

Bob S

PS I already tried that psychic group. They weren't much help. :-)

1. Thanks Rob Davies for the hdparm info

I recently did some additional digging regarding disk corruption reported as
late as April of this year on the kernel mailing list and found several
instances of this problem asserting itself on systems with my particular
chipset which is the VIA and KT133.  I have two identical athlons here with
somewhat different motherboards.  After reading the posts that I made and
the followup that Mr. Davies made, I felt a somewhat different inclination
to go find out about this issue.  As it appears from the kernel digests, I
was wrong in asserting that one should use hdparm in the manner I specified.
I recompiled a 2.4.5 kernel with the VIA drivers in place and get better
support at the kernel level for the drives including a better identification
of each drive.

From the posts, I would now agree that a person should go out and find
whether disk/file corruption could happen and take reasonable steps to
preclude it.

Thanks!

--
Michael Perry

--------------------

2. Help: Problems w/ creating PS files using Nenscript

3. Rob MacGregor - Thanx

4. Printer support Epson LQ-510

5. Rob Landley <landley@trommello.org>

6. Linux Kqueue Equivalent ?

7. USR 28.8 followup rob prob...

8. 3 questions: glibc, sphigs, srgp

9. Searching for ROB NATION

10. Rob Duncan again

11. Rob Cypher - edumacating the youth

12. USR215686D US Rob. Ext. Modem

13. Solaris7 patch, do personal users get robbed?