Solution:Partition check during boot

Post by Michael E » Mon, 10 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Greetings Everyone

Thanks for every answer I got. The solution which worked for me was to change
a line in the ide.c file:

#define INITIAL_MULT_COUNT  0

changed to

#define INITIAL_MULT_COUNT 16

and then recompile a new kernel. The 16 sectors was found using dmesg, which
showed the messages from bootuptime. The harddisk reported MaxMult=16.

Have a nice day

Michael Enk

Post by Larry Snyd » Mon, 10 Jul 1995 04:00:00

>Greetings Everyone

>Thanks for every answer I got. The solution which worked for me was to change
>a line in the ide.c file:

>#define INITIAL_MULT_COUNT  0

>changed to

>#define INITIAL_MULT_COUNT 16

>and then recompile a new kernel. The 16 sectors was found using dmesg, which
>showed the messages from bootuptime. The harddisk reported MaxMult=16.

what is the difference if you change the above -- or use hdparm after
the machine is booted to change this variable using the -m option?

when my machine boots -- I set -X11 and -m8 using hdparm on my WD EIDE
drives

larry

Solution:Partition check during boot

Post by David Graha » Mon, 10 Jul 1995 04:00:00

Michael Enk wrote
[ snip ]

Quote:> >Thanks for every answer I got. The solution which worked for me was to
> > change [ snip ] to #define INITIAL_MULT_COUNT 16

> >and then recompile a new kernel. The 16 sectors was found using dmesg, which
> >showed the messages from bootuptime. The harddisk reported MaxMult=16.

Then Larry Snyder posted

Quote:> what is the difference if you change the above -- or use hdparm after
> the machine is booted to change this variable using the -m option?

The main difference is that, with INITIAL_MULT_COUNT defined as 16, changing/
adding a drive that doesn't support that will require recompiling the
kernel (in advance?).  The other way, with hdparm (I have a hdparm line
in rc.local) will only require changing that line in that script.  To
me, that's a safer and saner solution.

Dave

1. Errors on booting during partition check

Hi

I get these errors on booting during the Partition check:

Partition check:
 hda:hda: status error: status=0x01 { Error }
hda: status error: error=0x04 { DriveStatusError }
hda: drive not ready for command

This is repeated 4 times then continues to boot.

The system works fine, or seems to, I have not noticed any problems although I have only installed today.

I am using Slackware 4 and I have tried using Debian 2.2 with the same result.

The setup is a 210mb HD, 433M Dell Latitude laptop 4mb RAM - I have tried the 2.5inch hard disk in another PC with the same result.

Is the hard disk on the way out?  Or is this fixable?

Thanks
Rich

--
Sent  by richieeee_rich  from  my-deja element  from  com

2. humorous

3. boot hangs during "partition check"

4. How to touch files in many users' home in 1 second?

5. Partition check during boot ?

6. SLS1.05 + DIP + SLIP, TERM + MOSAIC

7. bad partition table error during Partition Check

8. Q. about Solaris routing

9. Partition check order in fs/partition/check.c?

10. Partition check at boot time & fdisk partition table don't agree

11. Compact Flash in an IDE adaptor freezes at partition check SOLUTION

12. Sector Not Found Error during Partition Check