Red Hat 4.x & passwd program

Post by Bill Du » Sat, 12 Apr 1997 04:00:00

        With Red Hat 4.x you are required to enter passwords that meet
certain criteria. These criteria are entirely too stringent for my needs.
Anyone know how I can bypass or change these "rules" that have been preset.
These rules set limits as to how short a password can be and rejects various
patterns. So far I have been copying the certain passwords that do not meet
the new rules from an old passwd file and pasting them into the new passwd
file.

        Thanks for the help.

        Bill Dunn
        Vision Communications
        Johnson County Online

        PS. I've already heard everyone's opinions on how this new passwd
            criteria is a good thing, BUT, opinions don't help.

1. passwd program & red hat 4.0

        I just noticed a small problem today while editing my adduser script
on our new Red Hat 4.0 machine. After adding the new users I went to install
a password and the passwd program is being picky about my passwds I try to
give it. It says there is a pattern there or it's too short. I read
something on ecsnet where the author of the artice mentioned that in red hat
4.0 the passwd program was changed. Even he had to change his passwd to
accomodate the change. Does anyone know of a way that will allow me add
passwords like I always have? I looked for a config file but I haven't seen
anything.

        Bill Dunn
        Vision Communications

2. Opti 931 chipset sound card - any ideas?

3. passwd program & Red Hat 4.0

4. Named and Mail question

5. Red Hat 7.1 - Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already installed.

6. SunOS 5.5 problems

7. Red Hat 6.0 && init messages && new kernel

8. open source Glide

9. why passwd generated by my program is shorter than that generated by passwd program

10. Problem logging in after upgradation from red hat 8 to red hat 9

11. migrating from red hat 8.0 to red hat 9.0

12. Installing Red Hat packages after Red Hat is already

13. The Red Hats are coming, the Red Hats are coming