eth0 interface comes up at boot despite settings (+kppp)

eth0 interface comes up at boot despite settings (+kppp)

Post by Andrew Jaff » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Hi All-

I recently went from RH5.2 to 6.1, the latter with essentially all
updates.

I have a laptop which is occasionally connected to the net via ether,
and occasionally through ppp.

A few network problems present themselves:

I have my eth0 interface set to NOT come up at boot time, for use away
from the ethernet port.

For some reason, under 6.1 it comes up anyway! This isn't happening in
the normal course of things -- there's no boot message about bringing it
up, but it comes up anyway!!!

Anyone know what's going on?

Also, I have the same kppp problems that everyone does (ie,
requiring it going through root). I assume this is a setup issue -- need
to make the "modem" group or something -- but it should be made more
transparent.

Thanks,

Andrew

--
Andrew Jaffe___________________________________________________________

University of California, 301 LeConte Hall               (510) 642-7570
Berkeley, CA 94720                                        FAX    2-1756

Post by Patrici » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

> Hi All-

> I recently went from RH5.2 to 6.1, the latter with essentially all
> updates.

> I have a laptop which is occasionally connected to the net via ether,
> and occasionally through ppp.

> A few network problems present themselves:

> I have my eth0 interface set to NOT come up at boot time, for use away
> from the ethernet port.

> For some reason, under 6.1 it comes up anyway! This isn't happening in
> the normal course of things -- there's no boot message about bringing it
> up, but it comes up anyway!!!

> Anyone know what's going on?

> Also, I have the same kppp problems that everyone does (ie,
> requiring it going through root). I assume this is a setup issue -- need
> to make the "modem" group or something -- but it should be made more
> transparent.

> Thanks,

> Andrew

> --
> Andrew Jaffe___________________________________________________________

> University of California, 301 LeConte Hall               (510) 642-7570
> Berkeley, CA 94720                                        FAX    2-1756

Andrew
for the Kppp problem take a look at my homepage
--
HTH :-)
Patricia

http://www.linuxfan.com/~beginners_linux
Red Hat Linux release 6.0 (Hedwig)
Kernel 2.2.5-15
  2:47am  up 10:18,  2 users,  load average: 1.37, 1.55, 1.59
Fri Dec 17 02:47:17 CET 1999

eth0 interface comes up at boot despite settings (+kppp)

Post by Hamid Misn » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Hi All-

>I recently went from RH5.2 to 6.1, the latter with essentially all
>updates.

>I have a laptop which is occasionally connected to the net via ether,
>and occasionally through ppp.

>A few network problems present themselves:

>I have my eth0 interface set to NOT come up at boot time, for use away
>from the ethernet port.

>For some reason, under 6.1 it comes up anyway! This isn't happening in
>the normal course of things -- there's no boot message about bringing it
>up, but it comes up anyway!!!

>Anyone know what's going on?

>Also, I have the same kppp problems that everyone does (ie,
>requiring it going through root). I assume this is a setup issue -- need
>to make the "modem" group or something -- but it should be made more
>transparent.

>Thanks,

>Andrew

For eth0 coming up automatically, have you disable PCMCIA service during bootup
time? The PCMCIA initscript will bring up your network. The easiest if you want
to have both local net and ppp is by disabling default route and adding a route
to your network using -net or -host (w/o using gateway).

For the kppp, it's PAM thing. Change your /etc/pam.d/kppp to use pam_permit.so
instead of pam_rootok.so.

--

- I'd rather ride the Wave than wallow in QWKsand!

eth0 interface comes up at boot despite settings (+kppp)

Post by Andrew Jaff » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Is this a new "feature"? Under 5.x, eth0 didn't automatically come up
when PCMCIA is activated!

Ideas?

--
Andrew Jaffe___________________________________________________________

University of California, 301 LeConte Hall               (510) 642-7570
Berkeley, CA 94720                                        FAX    2-1756

1. eth0 not coming up on boot, but comes up manually

I'm having in issue with the eth0 interface does not come up at boot
time. I get a message during the bootup saying:

Could not get a valid interface name: -> skipped

However, once the box is up, an ifup eth0 works just fine. I'm running
Suse Enterprise 8.0. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks,
Brian

2. bincancel:4 large binaries:AR169:@@NCM

3. Setting up new eth0 interface

4. How to Copy & Paste between xterms in FVWM ?

5. eth0 and eth1 interfaces using eth0 NIC

6. Newbie NMAP question

7. Interface eth0 does not start at boot

8. ppp/dead

9. Interface eth0 won't come up on boot....

10. Boot 'hangs' at starting the eth0 interface ??

11. Interface eth0 won't come up on boot....

12. boot hangs trying to brin up interface eth0

13. sendmail hang on boot if eth0 interface not present