"syslogd: unknown priority "24" " error - won't boot!

"syslogd: unknown priority "24" " error - won't boot!

Post by Terry Re » Sat, 13 Jul 1996 04:00:00

I have upgraded from 1.2.13  to 2.0 & was in the process of upgrading the
associated files.  Last nite I upgraded to util-linux-2.5.tar.gz, & when I
rebooted I got a "syslogd:  unknown priority "24"" error and my system hung.
My only edits to MCONFIG were setting HAVE_SVSVINIT & HAVE_SVIVINIT_UTILS
to yes, my intent was to next update these using sysvinit-2.6.2.tar.gz.
The compilation of util-linux-2.5 went OK unitl an error on cal.c for not
having /usr/include/localeinfo.h.  I looked at the Makefile for the section
with cal.c & saw that cal was the only thing which complained about this so I
removed cal from the Makefile in the misc-utils directory.  The make then
worked fine (just using "make").  I then did "make install" & rebooted & got

        .
        .
        .
        Starting daemons: cron lpd
        fcntl_setlk() called by process41(cron) with broken flock() emulation
        /bin/hostname Permission denied
        syslogd:  unknown priority "24" " error

Now the system will not boot!

Is there something obvious that I did wrong?  My (uneducated) guess is that
should have updated the sysvinit-2.6.2 stuff BEFORE rebooting. I had
previously never upgraded either the linux-utils or the sysvinit stuff
since I did my initial install from the Yggdrasil Fall 94 distr.

The obvious question now is how do I fix this?

How I got there:

http://www.signet.com.sg/~sunsurf & installed the following packages in this
order (I already had gcc 2.7.2):

make-3.74-bin-elf
binutils-2.6.0.14
ld.so-1.7.14
libg++-2.7.1.4
ppp-2.2.0f
2.0 kernel compilation
libc-5.3.12
procps-0.99a

I rebooted & everything worked fine.  I then began updating the other
suggested packages:

termcap-2.0.8
procinfo-? (oops, don't remember this vesion)
utils-2.5

I rebooted & this is where the show-stopping syslogd error occurred.

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

        Terry