Boot Problems, LILO and fsck, need RECOVER help

Boot Problems, LILO and fsck, need RECOVER help

Post by David N. Hane » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Linux Gurus:

I have an odd problem.  I have a machine (Compaq) with a 10G disk
that has been partitioned with hda1 as Win98, hda2 as Linux swap,
and hda3 as Linux native.

The Linux is Caldera 2.4.  While in windows something odd happened
and it went out to lunch (stupid MS).  Upon rebooting, the error of
"no operating system" is obtained.  I assume this means that the
problem is LILO has gotten corrupted.

Attempting to boot with the Linux Rescue floppy yeilds an error:
"Kernel panic unable to mount root fs on 03:03"

I am guessing that perhaps the file system may need to be checked
before mounting (ie run fsck).  How do I recover and get around this
problem?  I have tried copying fsck to the boot floppy (on a different
system), but when I run in in the boot shell, I get segmentation fault.

Thanks for your assistance.
--
#########              David N. Haney, Ph.D.                 #########
#  Haney Associates                            Phone - 858-483-1197  #

#################                                #####################

Boot Problems, LILO and fsck, need RECOVER help

Post by Svend Olaf Mikkels » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:>Linux Gurus:

>I have an odd problem.  I have a machine (Compaq) with a 10G disk
>that has been partitioned with hda1 as Win98, hda2 as Linux swap,
>and hda3 as Linux native.

>The Linux is Caldera 2.4.  While in windows something odd happened
>and it went out to lunch (stupid MS).  Upon rebooting, the error of
>"no operating system" is obtained.  I assume this means that the
>problem is LILO has gotten corrupted.

>Attempting to boot with the Linux Rescue floppy yeilds an error:
>"Kernel panic unable to mount root fs on 03:03"

>I am guessing that perhaps the file system may need to be checked
>before mounting (ie run fsck).  How do I recover and get around this
>problem?  I have tried copying fsck to the boot floppy (on a different
>system), but when I run in in the boot shell, I get segmentation fault.

>Thanks for your assistance.

Are you certain that the "no operating system" message begins with a
lower case n? What is the exact message?

Well, if it is "Missing operating system" this is an error message
from a standard DOS MBR, when no boot signature is present in the
active partition. Then there is a chance that the Windows boot problem
is as simple as setting hda1 active using DOS fdisk.

You have the option to get Findpart at

http://inet.uni2.dk/~svolaf/utilities.htm

do

findpart all +fat fp.txt

and post the content from fp.txt.
--
Svend Olaf

Boot Problems, LILO and fsck, need RECOVER help

Post by Gary Sandin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Attempting to boot with the Linux Rescue floppy yeilds an error...

Did you make "the Linux Rescue floppy" particular to your install??

http://www.lanm-pc.com  (Cheap Linux boxes)

Boot Problems, LILO and fsck, need RECOVER help

Post by David N. Hane » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Linux Gurus:

Thank you very kindly for your suggestions.  I have tried the active
partition item and it did not work.

I failed to tell you that when I installed LILO (at the installation
of the Caldera Linux), I installed it to the natvie linux partition
/dev/hda3.  I was not sure that would work, but it was an option in
the Caldera Installation and it all worked fine for several weeks.

When viewing the disk with the MSDOS FDISK, it showed that the active
partition was the first partition (/dev/hda1).  After changing it to
partition 3 (/dev/hda3) and rebooting, the error message about
"Missing operating system" was still there.  Then going back into
FDISK (MSDOS) changed the active partition back to 1 (/dev/hda1).
After rebooting this, it boots back into Win98.

I am thinking that when Win98 did this thing to the disk, it some how
corrupted something on the linux partition (/dev/hda3) such that it
is necessary to run fsck.  The reason I think this may be the case,
is after booting with the emergency disk created after the fact
(described in Caldera's FAQ), I get an odd error that says something
like "Kernel Panic:VFS:unable to mount root fs on 03:03".  This
suggests to me that it is having difficulty reading the linux partition
and it needs to run fsck.  Another item that suggests this is that
while in Win98, trying to read the linux partition with the tool
explore2fs.exe reports a read error.

Do you have other suggestions about how I might recover the Linux data.
While it was nice to boot back to Win98, I really need the linux stuff.
I guess next time I will install GRUB instead of LILO.
Thanks for your help.

--
#########              David N. Haney, Ph.D.                 #########
#  Haney Associates                            Phone - 858-483-1197  #
#  5455 Westknoll Dr.                            FAX - 858-483-1046  #

#################                                #####################

Boot Problems, LILO and fsck, need RECOVER help

Post by Gary Sandin » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Quote:> Thank you very kindly for your suggestions....

First - I recommend NEVER using DOS fdisk on a hard drive which
is something other than a DOS only hard drive (in fact - I think
one should use Linux fdisk to partition DOS hard drives!).  If
one lets DOS fdisk write to a hard drive which has Linux and DOS,
it will make the Linux partition non-bootable.

It looks like this is what happened, and the "Linux Rescue Disk"
is NOT particular to the installed Linux system.  Is it?  Or is
it an image that boots into the Caldera installer??

http://www.lanm-pc.com (Cheap Linux boxes)

1. help pls - fsck fail on boot; fixed, fsck still fails on boot

With the file system check during boot, get a report:
   *** An error occurred during the file system check
   ***   (blah, blah...)

From the shell, ran e2fsck -f on all Linux partitions.
The root partition had a couple of problems which fsck
supposedly fixed. (No critical files were affected, it
seems.  Interestingly, the affected files were ones I
had copied over from a DOS partition using automatic
CRLF-LF conversion.)  Rebooted, but got the same error
as before.  Reran e2fsck -f on all Linux partitions
again, all were reported as OK.  I only checked the
ext2 partitions, although there are a few non-Linux
partitions (FAT, HPFS, etc.); I assume fsck ignores
those, so even if they had a problem (I don't think
they do) that wouldn't seem to be an issue.

What is going on here?  I assume it is e2fsck that is
detecting the problem and returning an error code during
boot, so why doesn't it identify a problem when I run it
from the shell?  More urgently, how can I repair the
problem so I can boot Linux again?

(Yes, in case anyone is wondering, I ALWAYS do a normal
shutdown.  I am well aware how disastrous it can be to
power off the machine without shutting down first.)

Any help on this will be GREATLY appreciated, since a
reformat/reinstall does not especially appeal to me...

Regards,
Marty

2. SCO UNIX RELEASE 3.2 V. 2.0

3. Need help recovering from clumsy abuse of LILO

4. mouse pointer

5. Need Help: fsck error on root partition, won't boot.

6. Poblems with Imlib: HELP!!!!!

7. Need Help with LILO Boot Problem

8. NE2K clone setup - another problem

9. Need Help: fsck error on root partition, won't boot.

10. RH 4.2 LILO boot problems. Newbie needs help.

11. help --- can't recover "fsck" after power off without "init 0"

12. Uh oh. - Problems after recovering from a fsck.

13. LILO gone from boot sector, how to recover?