Installing Linux native partition over DOS Extented partition?

Installing Linux native partition over DOS Extented partition?

Post by ctlem.. » Tue, 04 Jun 1996 04:00:00

I have a hopefully simple question about creating a linux partition on
my harddrive.

       I have a primary c: partition ocuppying the first 250 MB of my
disk.  The remaining 777MB were used as an extended DOS partition with
three logical partitions (d:, e:, f:).  After reading all related
documentation that I could find, I deleted the last logical partition
(f:) and then recreated f: to be 100MB smaller, freeing this space for
my linux partition.  I then booted linux and the RedHat install
program from floppy.  The system acknowledges all of my hardware and
asks if I would like to partition the HD.  After creating a linux
partition in the remaining 100MB (which is still part of my DOS
extended partition), the program did'nt like this and aborted.

      Can I place a linux partition into an extended DOS partition?
My problem is that now DOS fdisk interprets the last 100MB of the
extended partition as full, and will not allow me to reinstall my
original f: drive.  Trying to delete the partition using linux fdisk
causes a warning message saying to read 'the manual' ( which manual
it's refering to I don't know.)

Thanks in advance for any advice (give up!) or suggestions.

Chris Lemper
Department of Geosciences
Princeton University
Princeton, NJ 08540

1. How do I convert a DOS partition to Native Linux *after* install?

hello,

I have a DOC partition on my linux machine which I would like to convert into
a native linux partition. Are there any pitfalls I should watch for?

Here is my current partition table:

Disk /dev/hda: 13 heads, 51 sectors, 723 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 663 * 512 bytes

   Device Boot  Begin   Start     End  Blocks   Id  System
/dev/hda1           1       1     186   61633+   6  DOS 16-bit >=32M
/dev/hda2         187     187     224   12597   82  Linux swap
/dev/hda3   *     225     225     533  102433+  83  Linux native
/dev/hda4         534     534     723   62985   83  Linux native

I am using LILO installed on the MBR of the hard disk. Will this complicate
matters?

Can I just change the partition type and do a mkfs?

thanks for your time,

Dwayne Fontenot

2. OpenGL for Linux ?

3. How to mount new dos extented partition?

4. Program won't work correctly with 2.5!

5. Win95 partition --> a Linux native partition

6. Need help networking my home

7. how do i mount an extended dos partition or a dos logical partition ?

8. Maxtor OneTouch support?

9. Performance of native FreeBSD partition vs FAT32 partition on FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE

10. root partition to a unix native partition

11. Questions: Large SCSI Partitions, native SCSI partitioning

12. Can Linux partitions be created on Extended DOS partition

13. Conversion from Linux partition to DOS FAT partition