trn: where do you set default newsfeed and other Qs

trn: where do you set default newsfeed and other Qs

Post by Michael K. Hen » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I've just installed RH Linux 5.2, and most everything seems to be
running OK.  My biggest question now involves setting up news.
Unfortunately, I can't find a HowTo file for what I need to do
to set trn's default parameters.

I'm able to use trn if I poke a "setenv NNTPSERVER news.feed.com"
line in .cshrc (or do it manually), but I'd rather not have to do
this every time I add a user.  How do you tell trn where to look
by default??

Also, is innd needed if I'm grabbing news off a news server?  I've
got it running, and pointed it to news.feed.com, but if nntp uses
inetd as opposed to innd, and I can not bother with innd, I'll
do that.

Any pointers to a FAQ or HOWTO, or even direct answers, would be
most appreciated.  As I said, I AM accessing news now, but I'd like
to polish up the access a bit .

----
Michael K. Heney
Mach 25 Technologies, Inc.

Post by WookieBu » Wed, 02 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>I'm able to use trn if I poke a "setenv NNTPSERVER news.feed.com"
>line in .cshrc (or do it manually), but I'd rather not have to do
>this every time I add a user.  How do you tell trn where to look
>by default??

*snip*

        pico /etc/profile and add something like this..

        NNTPSERVER=news.myhost.com
        export NNTPSERVER

   This works under bash, so I surmise under the C shell, you could add

        setenv NNTPSERVER=news.feed.com

   and it would work similarly.

Quote:

--
=[ Chris ]=
MicroSoft - Hey, it compiles... Ship it!

trn: where do you set default newsfeed and other Qs

Post by Michael K. Hen » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I thought of doing this (sticking an NNTPSERVER enviromnment variable
in the system profiles for bash, tcsh, zsh, ksh, etc etc etc), but that
seems unnecessarily messy to me.  I'm HOPING to find out how you can
just direct trn through a trn initfile where to find news.  With Pine,
i stuck a directive in /usr/lib/pine.conf - and that's shell-independent.
I'd really like something similar tfor trn.

What I'd REALLY like is a good pointer to "How to set up news" for
small netwoks - I'm always happy to RTFM, if I can *find* it.

Thanks much.

>>I'm able to use trn if I poke a "setenv NNTPSERVER news.feed.com"
>>line in .cshrc (or do it manually), but I'd rather not have to do
>>this every time I add a user.  How do you tell trn where to look
>>by default??
>*snip*

>    pico /etc/profile and add something like this..

>    NNTPSERVER=news.myhost.com
>    export NNTPSERVER

>   This works under bash, so I surmise under the C shell, you could add

>    setenv NNTPSERVER=news.feed.com

>   and it would work similarly.

trn: where do you set default newsfeed and other Qs

Post by Villy Kru » Thu, 03 Dec 1998 04:00:00

Quote:

>Also, is innd needed if I'm grabbing news off a news server?  I've
>got it running, and pointed it to news.feed.com, but if nntp uses
>inetd as opposed to innd, and I can not bother with innd, I'll
>do that.

You would need inews for posting messages, which usually is part of
inn put might be separated out in a separate package like on redhat
for example.

Villy

1. Q: How to set DOS as default boot w/LILO

I have finally gotten lilo to boot both linux and DOS from the HD.
However, I need DOS to be the default OS to boot from, not Linux.  How
do I get Lilo to do this.  If it can't, I have a suggestion for the next
version of LILO: make it use the currently active partition as the
default boot.  I would like to be able to hack this myself, but I don't
have the time at the moment.  Also, I have RTFM (several times), the
READMEs, c.o.l articles, and email.  While I am grateful for the input
(some of my other difficulties have been solved), all have been
universally unenlightening concerning this problem.  I was originally
trying to use a partition switcher (the OS/2 bootmanager), but have had
very little success (the OS/2 bootmanager and Lilo don't get along).  I
don't want to boot linux from DOS (bootlin, et. al.), and the system
needs to be relatively simple (at least for booting DOS), as most of the
users of my machine have enough trouble figuring out how to get DOS to
work, let alone using anything as complicated as a *nix clone.  Any help
would be greatly apreciated.  (BTW, my difficulties w/Linux were
refreshingly minor after struggling with OS/2 for several months).

Thanks to all involved in making Linux what is it today, and for what it
promises to be in the future.  Sorry for writing such a long post, but I
needed to clarify my problem, as my previous posts have been
misinterpreted.

Moscow, Idaho, USA             <Insert Standard Disclaimer>

2. Searching for files

3. Setting LILO default from DOS ?

4. SGI Font Server Problem (solved)

5. Clarification (was Re: Q: How to Set DOS as default boot w/LILO

6. moxfm dumping core!

7. How to set DOS as the default boot option?

8. DOS <-> Linux and other Qs

9. help with setting up newsfeed

10. DEFBOOTSTR=dos should this allow dos to boot by default?

11. trn & default newserver

12. setting up a newsfeed to linux