Pppd compile errors

Post by Arto J Santa » Thu, 25 Apr 1996 04:00:00

        I have this * little problem and if anyone out there could
give me any help/quesses on this, I'd be really thankful.

        I have RedHat 2.1 with kernel 1.3.93 installed and compiled,
with ppp support for modules. I tried to compile pppd 2.2.0e. All went
well (I got kernel patched, re-compiled, without errors), but when I
tried to make the ppd sourcecode, I got lots of errors, like:
ipcp.h:55: parse error before 'u_int32t'
ipcp.h:55: working:no semicolon
       65:Warning:data definition has no type or storage class
        parse error before ipcp-allowoptions

and same stuff repeated many times. Well, what do you think? Anything I
could try? I don't think there's any conflicts with kernel. And I
checked linux/drivers/net, as the docfile for pppd told me to. I need
to get this working so I can get rid of win on my machine. Any help is
greatly appreciated.

Hawk Out.

--
 - The Crow said: 'Don't Look!'

Pppd compile errors

Post by Chris Pet » Mon, 29 Apr 1996 04:00:00

says...

Quote:

>        I have this * little problem and if anyone out there could
>give me any help/quesses on this, I'd be really thankful.

>        I have RedHat 2.1 with kernel 1.3.93 installed and compiled,
>with ppp support for modules. I tried to compile pppd 2.2.0e. All went
>well (I got kernel patched, re-compiled, without errors), but when I
>tried to make the ppd sourcecode, I got lots of errors, like:
>ipcp.h:55: parse error before 'u_int32t'
>ipcp.h:55: working:no semicolon
>       65:Warning:data definition has no type or storage class
>        parse error before ipcp-allowoptions

        I had this exact same problem (in fact, it's why I posted to this
group about PPP in the first place).  There's some include file (sorry, I
forgot which one --- I can find the file and follow up with the answer).  I
think it's defined in /usr/include/linux somewhere.  Do a grep "u_int32_t"
on all the .H files there.

        Once that file's in, you must include a SECOND include file, because
you'll get errors like "MAX_ADDR_LEN" undefined.  That include file is
a different net header file.  Just insert those include files into pppd's
Makefile and it'll work.  The include file is somewhere in the same place.
If you're interested, I can ferret out my copy of the working Makefile and
send it via e-mail.

        Seems like whoever keeps up the PPP distribution needs to do some
minor touchups of the Linux side, eh?