Setting up Linux on the Thinkpad 380XD/380ED/385XD

Setting up Linux on the Thinkpad 380XD/380ED/385XD

Post by Shuvam Mis » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Dear all,

I have just finished setting up Linux on a Thinkpad 380XD. This is a
slightly older model of Thinkpad, and many of you may have tried setting
up Linux when you purchased this Thinkpad, maybe a year or more ago. At
that time, Linux was not up to the mark to handle all the problems of
the hardware. Today, things are much better.

I've just put up my experiences on a webpage:

        http://spacenetindia.com/tech/linuxthinkpad/

Please let me know what you think; feedback welcome. Please email me
directly.

I suspect that my experience will be applicable directly to the 380ED,
perhaps the 380D, and the 385XD.

There is no link to my page yet from Kenneth Harker's Linux on Laptop
homepage. I've sent him email twice... I guess he might be temporarily
unavailable. There was a previous page with two links from Kenneth's
homepage labelled the 380XD and the 380ED. The link for the 380ED still
exists, but it is a dead link. There is currently no link from Kenneth's
homepage to any page for the 380XD or the 385XD.

Regards,
Shuvam
--

-- spaceNET --------------------------------------- +91 22 761 5277 --
----------------------------------------------- fax +91 22 287 3598 --

Setting up Linux on the Thinkpad 380XD/380ED/385XD

Post by Doug Marke » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

Many thanks for the post - I have a couple of IBM thinkpads (a 380 & a 760)
I have put Linux RH6 & Mandrake on the 760 ok but am still to try the 380

Your kind info will prove most helpful.

Cheers

Doug Marker

Post by Peter T. Breu » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00

: Dear all,

: I have just finished setting up Linux on a Thinkpad 380XD. This is a
: slightly older model of Thinkpad, and many of you may have tried setting
: up Linux when you purchased this Thinkpad, maybe a year or more ago. At

Sure did. My TP380xd runs fine on suse 5.3, kernels 2.0.25 and 2.0.36.
Crystal sound and neomagic screen.

: that time, Linux was not up to the mark to handle all the problems of
: the hardware. Today, things are much better.

It certainly was! What on earth do you mean?

The only thing I can think of that needs tweaking is the
IGNORE_MULTIPLE_SUSPENDS in the kernel APM code. That's trivial, as well
as well documented in the apm code itself.

Peter

1. OhNo Thinkpad 380XD & Linux, Pings only replied to during boot of Linux

Folks,
Ping from Linux to W98 is fine but ping from W98SE to Linux only gets a
reply when Linux is booting - specifically just after pcmcia is initialized
but then comes a message  Reentering interrupt ISR and no more replies from
Linux. I've tried IRQ & io_addr exclusion etc, can anyone pls help?
TIA

Ian Turnbull
0961 931941

Web  : www.turnbui.freeserve.co.uk

2. Has anybody gotten AUB to work?

3. display problem when setup linux on thinkpad 380xd

4. irq.c:bad bottom half entry 00000040

5. Linux on Thinkpad 380XD

6. DosEmu/TextWare/IPX timeouts

7. Linux not recognizing the <alt> key on IMB Thinkpad 380xd.

8. Anyone got natd working? - - Second part

9. Linux on a ThinkPad 380ED?

10. Problems installing Linux in a Thinkpad 380ED

11. sco 5.0.4 install on ibm thinkpad 385xd

12. IBM thinkpad 385xd and crystal sound card

13. IMB Thinkpad 385XD