xinetd, cvs, RH7, & pserver

Post by Michael Malone » Fri, 26 Jan 2001 01:16:18

I've been running CVS on RH 6.2 for many months without problem.
I use pserver to access the repository from other machines over the LAN.

After upgrading to RH7 it doesn't work.

After fumbling around I discovered that the "cvs" command in CVS is
no longer supported. It appears to be changed to "pserver".

The inetd file used to execute the command:
cvs cvs --allow-root=<my repository path> pserver

The new xinetd configuration executes:
cvs pserver -f --allow-root=<my repository path>

Is this correct?

Now when I try to connect from a client, I always get two error
messages:

Server configuration missing --allow-root in inetd.conf
cvs login: autorization failed: server <host> rejected access to <my
repository path>

What am I doing wrong?
BTW, the docs on pserver seem to be out of date. Is this feature being
phased out?

xinetd, cvs, RH7, & pserver

Post by David Zarosk » Sat, 27 Jan 2001 03:47:57

Quote:> I've been running CVS on RH 6.2 for many months without problem.
> I use pserver to access the repository from other machines over the LAN.
> After upgrading to RH7 it doesn't work.
> After fumbling around I discovered that the "cvs" command in CVS is
> no longer supported. It appears to be changed to "pserver".

I always have remembered it being just 'pserver', when using the pserver.

Quote:> The inetd file used to execute the command:
> cvs cvs --allow-root=<my repository path> pserver
> The new xinetd configuration executes:
> cvs pserver -f --allow-root=<my repository path>

Post how you have the entire service setup. Also check /etc/services to ensure
the cvspserver entries are still intact.

Quote:> Is this correct?
> Now when I try to connect from a client, I always get two error
> messages:
> Server configuration missing --allow-root in inetd.conf

                                               ^^^^^^^^^^???
Are you using inetd or xinetd?

Quote:> cvs login: autorization failed: server <host> rejected access to <my
> repository path>
> What am I doing wrong?

Need to first find out what you are doing first. ;-)

Quote:> BTW, the docs on pserver seem to be out of date. Is this feature being
> phased out?

Not sure what you mean. :-(

--
.....Dave

1. Configuring xinetd.conf to start cvs pserver

Hi,

I am trying to configure the CVS pserver on redhat linux 7.2, but it
seems that xinted is not listening on the port or correctly forking off
CVS. I have tried to configure it based on the CVS documentation that
specifies how to configure inetd. I am new to linux and would appreciate
some help. Here is the services entry I have in my xinetd.conf file.

service cvspserver
{
        socket_type             = stream
        protocol                = tcp
        wait                    = no
        user                    = root
        instances               = UNLIMITED
        server                  = /usr/local/bin/cvs
        server_args             = -f --allow-root=/usr/local/cvsroot
pserver
        env                     = CVSROOT=/usr/local/cvsroot

I appreciate any help or pointers you could give me. Thanks.

Charles

2. Attaching a terminal?

3. CVS pserver in xinet ?

4. Hardware advice needed

5. Newbie haveing problems with e pserver and CVS

6. files replication or syncronization

7. iptables and cvs pserver

8. cl5440 drivers

9. Problems with cvs pserver since glibc upgrade

10. CVS-1.10 pserver on AIX-4.2.1: port 2401 already in use

11. CVS-1.10 pserver on AIX-4.2.1 - port 2401 already in use

12. CVS pserver daemon configuration

13. Newbie haveing problems with e pserver and CVS