Upgrade Problem: Redhat 5.2 -> 6.1 question --->

Upgrade Problem: Redhat 5.2 -> 6.1 question --->

Post by Mickey Stei » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



Hi -

       It's been awhile since I upgraded Redhat but have a nicely
running version of 5.2 at the moment. Yesterday I ftp'd all the 6.1
files onto a partition under /RedHat/RPMS & /RedHat/base and made a boot
diskette using the latest boot.img and rawrite. I was able to boot off
the diskette, tell it the correct partition & have it find it , answer a
few questions and off it went to parse the RPM files..

       About 30 seconds into that operation, it came back with a
pagefull of errors concerning python 1.5 (I've got python 1.5-1.5 on RH
5.2 and in the 6.1 RPMS dir I've got python 1.5-2.7). The errors
culminate in one final statement about an undefined symbol. Of course,
I've no idea what they're talking about but here's what I tried:

1) In order to determine whether it was a problem with the installed
python or the 'to-be-installed' python version, I tried doing a clean
install of linux (up to a point before it'd trash my 5.2 installation)
and it came up with the problem again. That means that it must be a
problem with the 6.1 install from HD.

2) Tried to install python manually using RPM but there's so many
dependencies (and important ones too! ) that I couldn't determine
anything this way.

Anyway: This strikes me as a pretty generic problem if I can just
download all the files for 6.1 and have success with the boot disk and
the finding of the files yet have a problem. Has anyone else here had a
similar problem with installing or upgrading of redhat 6.1 after ftp'ing
it to your system? I suppose a 6.1 cd doesn't count if it's even
released yet -

           thanks -

                  Mick

 
 
 

Upgrade Problem: Redhat 5.2 -> 6.1 question --->

Post by Chip Anderso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> Hi -

>        It's been awhile since I upgraded Redhat but have a nicely
> running version of 5.2 at the moment. Yesterday I ftp'd all the 6.1
> files onto a partition under /RedHat/RPMS & /RedHat/base and made a boot
> diskette using the latest boot.img and rawrite. I was able to boot off
> the diskette, tell it the correct partition & have it find it , answer a
> few questions and off it went to parse the RPM files..

>        About 30 seconds into that operation, it came back with a
> pagefull of errors concerning python 1.5 (I've got python 1.5-1.5 on RH
> 5.2 and in the 6.1 RPMS dir I've got python 1.5-2.7). The errors
> culminate in one final statement about an undefined symbol. Of course,
> I've no idea what they're talking about but here's what I tried:

> --snip --

Hi,

I experienced a similar problem.   You probably have a corrupt or missing
file in the instimage directory structure.  After I deleted ad
re-downloaded the instimage directory, all went well.

Chip


 
 
 

Upgrade Problem: Redhat 5.2 -> 6.1 question --->

Post by Vilmos Sot » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



>        It's been awhile since I upgraded Redhat but have a nicely
> running version of 5.2 at the moment. Yesterday I ftp'd all the 6.1
> files onto a partition under /RedHat/RPMS & /RedHat/base and made a boot
> diskette using the latest boot.img and rawrite. I was able to boot off
> the diskette, tell it the correct partition & have it find it , answer a
> few questions and off it went to parse the RPM files..

>        About 30 seconds into that operation, it came back with a
> pagefull of errors concerning python 1.5 (I've got python 1.5-1.5 on RH
> 5.2 and in the 6.1 RPMS dir I've got python 1.5-2.7). The errors
> culminate in one final statement about an undefined symbol. Of course,
> I've no idea what they're talking about but here's what I tried:

There is also a directory under RedHat wich is called instimage.
It looks like a minimal filesystem directory. You might need that
directory as well.

Quote:> 1) In order to determine whether it was a problem with the installed
> python or the 'to-be-installed' python version, I tried doing a clean
> install of linux (up to a point before it'd trash my 5.2 installation)
> and it came up with the problem again. That means that it must be a
> problem with the 6.1 install from HD.

I don't think the rehat install uses any program from your previous
install. It should be (and I think it is) completely self sufficient.

Vilmos

 
 
 

Upgrade Problem: Redhat 5.2 -> 6.1 question --->

Post by Mickey Stei » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Vilmos, Chip :

          I was pretty sure I hadn't even downloaded the instimage dir on my
previous upgrades but maybe that's it. Thanks for the idea and I'll try that
and see how it works,

                thanks, Mick



> >        It's been awhile since I upgraded Redhat but have a nicely
> > running version of 5.2 at the moment. Yesterday I ftp'd all the 6.1
> > files onto a partition under /RedHat/RPMS & /RedHat/base and made a boot
> > diskette using the latest boot.img and rawrite. I was able to boot off
> > the diskette, tell it the correct partition & have it find it , answer a
> > few questions and off it went to parse the RPM files..

> >        About 30 seconds into that operation, it came back with a
> > pagefull of errors concerning python 1.5 (I've got python 1.5-1.5 on RH
> > 5.2 and in the 6.1 RPMS dir I've got python 1.5-2.7). The errors
> > culminate in one final statement about an undefined symbol. Of course,
> > I've no idea what they're talking about but here's what I tried:

> There is also a directory under RedHat wich is called instimage.
> It looks like a minimal filesystem directory. You might need that
> directory as well.

> > 1) In order to determine whether it was a problem with the installed
> > python or the 'to-be-installed' python version, I tried doing a clean
> > install of linux (up to a point before it'd trash my 5.2 installation)
> > and it came up with the problem again. That means that it must be a
> > problem with the 6.1 install from HD.

> I don't think the rehat install uses any program from your previous
> install. It should be (and I think it is) completely self sufficient.

> Vilmos

 
 
 

Upgrade Problem: Redhat 5.2 -> 6.1 question --->

Post by Mickey Stei » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00


Chip -

        I tried downloading the instimage tree and then proceeded to get the
exact same error with an undefined symbol in python 1.5. I'm also wondering
about the RPMS python files themselves. I ftp'd from acs-mirror.ucsd.edu only
because it was the only site I could continually get in to. (now I may know
why:) - Usually I get them from sunsite or metalab but 1/2way through the
metalab dl , I suddenly was kicked out and noted that there's no permissions
on the redhat-6.1 dir there. I tried many other sites like cdrom but couldn't
get clean connections. Is there any site you'd recommend?

          Mick



> > Hi -

> >        It's been awhile since I upgraded Redhat but have a nicely
> > running version of 5.2 at the moment. Yesterday I ftp'd all the 6.1
> > files onto a partition under /RedHat/RPMS & /RedHat/base and made a boot
> > diskette using the latest boot.img and rawrite. I was able to boot off
> > the diskette, tell it the correct partition & have it find it , answer a
> > few questions and off it went to parse the RPM files..

> >        About 30 seconds into that operation, it came back with a
> > pagefull of errors concerning python 1.5 (I've got python 1.5-1.5 on RH
> > 5.2 and in the 6.1 RPMS dir I've got python 1.5-2.7). The errors
> > culminate in one final statement about an undefined symbol. Of course,
> > I've no idea what they're talking about but here's what I tried:

> > --snip --

> Hi,

> I experienced a similar problem.   You probably have a corrupt or missing
> file in the instimage directory structure.  After I deleted ad
> re-downloaded the instimage directory, all went well.

> Chip


 
 
 

Upgrade Problem: Redhat 5.2 -> 6.1 question --->

Post by Chip Anderso » Sun, 31 Dec 1899 09:00:00



> Chip -

>         I tried downloading the instimage tree and then proceeded to get the
> exact same error with an undefined symbol in python 1.5. I'm also wondering
> about the RPMS python files themselves. I ftp'd from acs-mirror.ucsd.edu only
> because it was the only site I could continually get in to. (now I may know
> why:) - Usually I get them from sunsite or metalab but 1/2way through the
> metalab dl , I suddenly was kicked out and noted that there's no permissions
> on the redhat-6.1 dir there. I tried many other sites like cdrom but couldn't
> get clean connections. Is there any site you'd recommend?

>           Mick

-- snip --

I basically went down  the list of mirrored sites
(http://www.redhat.com/download/mirror.html) for a site not too far
geographically and had finally had good luck with ftp.sunsite.utk.edu.

I started looking Sunday night and most of the mirrors hadn't posted or were
imcomplete at the time.

Chip

 
 
 

1. redhat 5.2 -> 6.1 upgrade question

Hello,

I am soon to install RH 6.1 on all our existin RH 5.2 installations.
When I boot up will there be an upgrade option, or will the 6.1 wipe my
existing file systems / partition / files... etc.

Any advice/notes of caution  on this would be great.
Thanks
Peter

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. oracle DB driver for freebsd

3. RedHat 5.2 -> RedHat 6.0 Upgrade Problems

4. Mailtool configuration

5. Success upgrading from 5.2 -> 6.1 off of HD.

6. gcc-2.95.3 cannot create 64-bit executable

7. RH 5.2-->6.1 upgrade

8. 486 stuck

9. Upgrade RH 5.2 -> RH 6.1

10. What has changed in the NFS client from Redhat 5.2->6.1??

11. INSTALL Redhat 6.0: yet another 5.2->6 upgrade question:

12. Redhat 6.1 to 6.2 upgrade ==> RAID problems

13. Problem upgrading redhat 5.1 -> 5.2: mount fails, no rpm database...