Is it a good time to upgrade to ELF ?

Post by Amit Chatterj » Sat, 02 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Hello,

I have been using Linux 1.2.1 Slackware distribution for the last 8 months
and have resisted the temptation to upgrade to ELF so far. The reason for
that is (1) I heard and read in the newsgroups that the ELF version is not
very stable and (2) Re-installing/Upgrade looked difficult. From the amount of
postings on ELF problems over the last month, it looks to me that a lot of
the ELF problems have been taken care of (the number of postings have reduced
significantly). So the question is "Is the the right time to move to ELF ?"

I am also seriously thinking of moving to the Red-Hat 2.1 ELF distribution.
Has anyone installed it, if yes, how did it go ? I am somewhat nervous about
installing linux becuase with Slackware, it required quite a bit of work
for anything to be installed properly ? I believe red-hat installation is
very simple. Please let me know if I am mistaken.

My system has the following configuration:

(1) AMD 486DX2 80 processor
(2) 16 MB RAM
(3) 1 850MB disk (400 for Windows, rest for linux) and a 210MB disk (for linux)
(4) Panasonic (SBPCD) CDROM with a non-standard base address
(5) Sound-blaster
(6) Standard mouse
(7) SVGA graphics card.

Does anyone see any problem with Redhat 2.1 and the above hardware configuration.

I would greatly appreciate any response.

Thanks,

Amit Chatterjee

Post by Steven M. Gal » Wed, 06 Dec 1995 04:00:00

>From my experience - not. "ELF-HOWTO" needs full understanding
>of steps you do ( it mean  understanding C development, not C

language ).

No, it does not.  ELF need no understanding of this to compile
programs using this format.

Quote:>At the and I was stacked between 2 versions. Nothing to worry, but
>I've ftped slack-3.0 already so I installed it over my partition.
>It was much easy than HOWTO + you get all updated.
>So I can recommend this way : store - install - restore.

>From other side all I get is drastically reduce of speed.
>All theory about "Why ELF faster" means nothing behind the truth.

>May be later.....

>BTW if you ask MicroSoft why Word6 won't run fast all you can
>get: " Upgrade "

>Oleg

I found that it was very simple to move to an ELF and a.out system - I
followed the steps in the ELF-HOWTO and it took about 1/2 hour.  Now,
if I want to compile using a.out I add a flag to the gcc command line
- no problems at all.  It's much easier than installing an entire
system again, especially if you have anything you want to keep on your
old system!

Steve

Is it a good time to upgrade to ELF ?

Post by ole » Wed, 06 Dec 1995 04:00:00

From my experience - not. "ELF-HOWTO" needs full understanding
of steps you do ( it mean  understanding C development, not C language ).
At the and I was stacked between 2 versions. Nothing to worry, but
I've ftped slack-3.0 already so I installed it over my partition.
It was much easy than HOWTO + you get all updated.
So I can recommend this way : store - install - restore.

From other side all I get is drastically reduce of speed.
All theory about "Why ELF faster" means nothing behind the truth.

May be later.....

BTW if you ask MicroSoft why Word6 won't run fast all you can
get: " Upgrade "

Oleg
=============================

VENI,VEDI,FTP
=============================

Is it a good time to upgrade to ELF ?

Post by Timothy Murp » Wed, 06 Dec 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I found that it was very simple to move to an ELF and a.out system - I
>followed the steps in the ELF-HOWTO and it took about 1/2 hour.  Now,
>if I want to compile using a.out I add a flag to the gcc command line
>- no problems at all.  It's much easier than installing an entire
>system again, especially if you have anything you want to keep on your
>old system!

I consider that this is very bad advice
to anyone who wants to go over to ELF.
You would be far better advised to install Slackware 3.0.
[I don't understand the remark about keeping things;
surely you don't wipe your disks clean when upgrading?]

In my experience it is in fact very difficult
to move over to ELF on an existing system,
and anyone who can do it in 30 minutes deserves a medal.

--
Timothy Murphy

tel: +353-1-2842366

Post by Arno Schaef » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: In my experience it is in fact very difficult
: to move over to ELF on an existing system,
: and anyone who can do it in 30 minutes deserves a medal.

I'm not sure what your problem was, but 30 min. was the time I needed, too.
I had a standard Slackware 2.1 setup and exactly followed the steps in the
ELF-Howto and there was no problem whatsoever. I agree that upgrading
to a complete new distribution has its benefits, but it is certainly not
necessary.

Regards,

Arno

Is it a good time to upgrade to ELF ?

Post by Tim Bas » Fri, 08 Dec 1995 04:00:00

I was hesitant to move to ELF, but the java compiler kit required it.
so......... (the short story)

First, I have numerous servers, so I selected one of the less critical
ones.... read the README .... and did it step by step.

I'm pretty confident that good UNIX sysadm types can move over to ELF
in less than one hour AFTER reading the readme stuff and downloading
the distributions.

After doing platform number 1, I immediatly did platform 2, which is my
number 1 development box.... full X with 21" monitor, use it every minute,
kinda box.  Step by step ... it went well.

Conclusion:

Moving to ELF is for admins that are comfortable with linux/Un*x sys admin.
Superficial users, not comfortable with linux sysadmin might want to wait.

But, I'm certainly glad that I did.  Have a java complier working is worth
the effort, believe me!  Thanks Randy Chapman.

Tim

| Tim Bass                           | #include<campfire.h>                |
| Principal Network Systems Engineer |       for(beer=100;beer>1;beer++){  |
| The Silk Road Group, Ltd.          |           take_one_down();          |
|                                    |           pass_it_around();         |
| http://www.silkroad.com/           |       }                             |
|                                    |  back_to_work(); /*never reached */ |

Post by DUPRE Christop » Thu, 14 Dec 1995 04:00:00

: I consider that this is very bad advice
: to anyone who wants to go over to ELF.
: You would be far better advised to install Slackware 3.0.
: [I don't understand the remark about keeping things;
: surely you don't wipe your disks clean when upgrading?]

Surely you don't install a new distribution on top of your old one, do
you ? If you do, then what about all those files from the old
distribution ? You must lose a lot of disk space!

: In my experience it is in fact very difficult
: to move over to ELF on an existing system,
: and anyone who can do it in 30 minutes deserves a medal.

I wonder what is so hard following the HOW-TO...
You have to get .tar files by FTP and make a backup of your disks, which are
not hard.
Then move a bunch of files from a few directory to another, which is not
hard either.
Then do a bunch of "tar -xzf" to install the new compiler/libraries

Oh and maybe recompile your kernel before all this to support ELF
binaries, something anybody should be able to.

Please, tell me where's the hard part!

--
Christophe Dupre                              Universite de Montreal

Montreal, Qc, Canada
"Nous ne sommes pas libres de ne pas etre libres, nous sommes obliges de
l'etre"  -  Fernando Savater

-- Geek Code 2.1 --
GCS d-- H+ s:++ g+ !p au-* a19 w+ v+ C++(+++) UIL++>+++ P+>++ L++
    3- E---- N++ K W- M- V-- Y+ t++ 5++ !j R+ G- tv b++

#include <disclaimer.h>