tape backup

Post by William Paul Berris » Wed, 13 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Hi

I use Red Hat Linux 4.2 on a Pentium PC
I am looking to buy a tape back up device for archiving and
backing up LINUX files.

Any suggestions?

Is Iomega's DITTO a good idea, will it work easily?

Any advice most welcome.

Will
----

--

Department of Engineering
The University of Reading

World Wide Web Home Page:

http://www.elec.rdg.ac.uk/people/postgrads/will.html

tape backup

Post by Ian Rawlin » Fri, 15 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> I am looking to buy a tape back up device for archiving and
> backing up LINUX files.

I've got an HP Colorado 3000 drive, driven from the floppy
interface. No complaints so far at all. Cheap as well. It could be
faster, but I could speed it up by getting a faster floppy
interface. To run it, download FTAPE, don't use the FTAPE module you
see when recompiling the kernel.

--
Ian Rawlings - ** decode anti-spam address to contact me **

tape backup

Post by Peppe Kerste » Sat, 23 Aug 1997 04:00:00

: Hi

: I use Red Hat Linux 4.2 on a Pentium PC
: I am looking to buy a tape back up device for archiving and
: backing up LINUX files.

: Any suggestions?

: Is Iomega's DITTO a good idea, will it work easily?

: Any advice most welcome.

: Will
: ----

: --

Depends on what you want;
- Want it cheap? then Ditto will do just fine! It's ok too... you'll just have to make some softw. adjustments... drivers etc..

- Want it fast an easy? Buy a scsi tapestreamer or scsi device -> (100 Mb zipdisk). As far as I know jou'll have to install the scsi software and you're done!! (Anyone PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong!)...... you have twice the speed... and you can do a cpio or whatever to a device....

It will cost you more though

Peppe Kerstens

Please do not send me SPAM; life is hard enough without it!!!!

tape backup

Post by Ian Rawlin » Tue, 26 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> Just as an option, you can maybe use one of the tape drives that
> hangs off the floppy controller.

That's what I did. It cost me 150 pounds sterling, will backup
1.6GBytes without compression, and is supported by ftape. It's not
wonderfully fast, going at about 150Kbytes per second (you can get a
faster controller though), but it works well and the tapes are cheap.

It's an HP Colorado 3000 in case you're wondering. I like HP, they
make things that don't break.

--
Ian Rawlings - ** decode anti-spam address to contact me **

1. Solstice Backup 5.1 / DMO 2.1/Oracle 8.1.5: Tape backup failed : Need of 5.5 Upgrade ?

Hi,

we have the following installation:

Backup Server with

Solaris 2.5.1
Solstice Backup  Server 5.1

Backup client with

Solaris 2.6
Solstice backup Client 5.1

DMO (Database modules for Oracle) 2.1 with the last Patches, which
should give the possibility of scheduled backups

Oracle 8.1.5

Our Problem is:

we cant make a tape-backup with allocate ...'sbt_tape'  startet over
rman. backups to disk are running fine.

Starting a backup over nwadmin we get an error, because there is no
given a user.

Has anybody made a tape-backup from rman or nwadmin, without upgrading
to Solstice Backup 5.5?

TIA,

Nele

3. Star tape size for multi tape backups question

4. Nameserver

5. Tape backups.. Erase tape first?

6. Predatory LINUX practices with NETSCAPE Navigator!

7. tape backups, scsi tape drive?

8. hostname - solaris 8 - dchp

9. Conner 4584 DAT tape backup with 12 tape Autoloader

10. Tape Backup under Suse 6.0 with a SCSI Tape

11. ufsdump verification on norewind tapes (was: Re: A Tape Backup

12. ufsdump verification on norewind tapes (was: Re: A Tape Backup Question )

13. Pls help : tape to tape backup (re-sent)